Author Topic: what part of the turn to kick a notch of flaps?  (Read 293 times)

Offline miraj

• Copper Member
what part of the turn to kick a notch of flaps?
« on: June 30, 2007, 03:15:24 PM »
In a single engine fighter , around 250 kts , 3000ft alt,  Corsair , for example.

At what point in the turn should you use a notch of flaps , and at what point should you put them back up ?

Before you enter the turn?

Right before?

In the apex?

Thanks

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 04:13:22 PM »
I wait till he shows his hand. If he runs they stay up, if he turns I dump em. More a reaction to him than where I am in my turn.

~AoM~

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 05:38:26 PM »
you should relate dropping notchs of flaps to your decrease in speed , rather than trying to guess if you should use them at a certian point in a turn.....

and I f I am doing 250 in a corsair I am not dropping any notches at all....
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Optiker

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 06:10:42 PM »
If I can pull => 6 G's, I don't need 'em. At 250, I can still pull 6+ - as I start to slow down, can't continue to pull max G's, I'll start to drop. If the fight slows down further, I'll continue to drop 'til they're all the way down - OR - get into a position where I can unload, retract all flaps and WEP outta Dodge. Low and slow is not where you want to be in Corsair if it can be avoided.

My $.02

Regards,

Optiker

Offline WaRLoCkL

• Nickel Member
      • http://elitebf2aces.net
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 08:09:23 PM »
it varies with me, depends on the plane im encoutnering first of all, with a LA i rarly use over 1 notch, but if im commited to a turn fight with a spit im full flaps and half rudder in most my manuvers, really gives me the upper hand most the time, i have out turned spit8s in scissors and rolling scissors, THIS IS WHY I LOVE THE CORSAIR!!!!!!!!!

but I will say when i have a enemy on my six and closing i chop throttle and break hard and start setting flaps a soon as possible and i can pull them into a reversal about 70 percent of the time