Author Topic: How to you properly turn?  (Read 512 times)

Offline ForrestS

• Nickel Member
      • http://freewebs.com/link850
How to you properly turn?
« on: July 01, 2007, 07:36:37 PM »
How do airliners propaly turn? Do they use rudder and use there ailerons to keep them level?

As for now i bank and yank. I can land fine tho because i use my rudders to line up just right. :D

Offline KG45

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 09:35:37 PM »
airliners bank when they turn.

why wouldn't they want to? the centrifical force would keep things in the cabine in place.
all you fascists, you're bound to lose...

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
Re: How to you properly turn?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 10:01:35 PM »
Originally posted by ForrestS
How do airliners propaly turn? Do they use rudder and use there ailerons to keep them level?
As for now i bank and yank. I can land fine tho because i use my rudders to line up just right. :D

ForrestS, you deserve medal for posting appropriate picture in airliner thread

Call us if SAPP union sends a goon...

Offline Nangleator

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 10:06:39 PM »
I once saw video of Bob Hoover doing a barrel roll in a 19-seater turboprop while pouring himself a glass of lemonade into a glass resting on the dashboard.  The glass was full as the roll ended.  Cool.

Anyway, airliners and general aviation planes turn by angling the wings so that there is a lateral component of the lift that the wings produce.  The more bank there is, the greater the vector of lift is angled to the side, and the faster the aircraft turns.  The rudder is displaced as the ailerons are displaced, in order to counteract the extra drag on the wing that rolls upwards.  (More lift = more drag, so that while banking, the wing coming up is producing more drag, and the one going down is producing less.  This would tend to yaw the nose away from the direction of the desired turn.)

In general,  after an aircraft is banked into a turn, some amount of aileron input is required to maintain the bank, but that's simply a question of stability.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: How to you properly turn?
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 12:46:02 AM »
Originally posted by ForrestS

Most jet aircraft (airliners) have whats called a yaw damper. It automatically puts in the correct amount of rudder in a normal standard rate banked turn. What keeps the jet level in the turn is the amount of elevator needed (input) to offset the tendency for the nose to drop when you bank. Rudders are also used to "crab" into the wind to maintain runway center line alignment on the approach to landing.

All three axis' of the jet can be trimmed for level flight to provide the best fuel economy. Amongst other things the elevator is also trimmed then retrimmed during take off and climb then again to establish level flight. Airlines also have auto pilot which allows them to turn, climb, descend, fly level and land without ever having to touch the yoke.

AH2 provides a built in yaw damper so you can roll and pull without the requirement to center the ball all the time.

Hope this helps.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 10:15:18 AM »
AH2 provides a built in yaw damper so you can roll and pull without the requirement to center the ball all the time.

We do nothing of like this.

HiTech

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: How to you properly turn?
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 10:17:06 AM »
Originally posted by DamnedRen

:huh

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 10:20:43 AM »
Originally posted by hitech
We do nothing of like this.

HiTech

That reminds me of something one of my customers told me

She said " That's How We Be Do "

:rofl   :rofl   :rofl   :rofl :D

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 10:45:38 AM »
Forrests, if you look at the dash of your plane you'll find a curved "glass tube" with a ball in it. As you roll the plane the ball will roll to one side or the other. The idea, to get the best turn, is to apply rudder to keep the ball centered in the tube. With combat trim on, the trim adjust enough  to keep your turn nice, but with practice you can do better on your own.

Offline TwrATM

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 11:11:47 AM »
This is called a coordinated turn....ball centered in tube.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 11:34:55 AM »
"How to you properly turn?"

FIRST!!

Indicate your intentions with the appropriate directional,

then proceed....