Author Topic: Glide Bombing  (Read 456 times)

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
Glide Bombing
« on: July 15, 2007, 12:49:44 PM »
I just finished reading James Bradly's "Flyboys" and in the book they talk a lot about how the Navy would dive bomb and glide bomb Iwo Jima.  What is glide bombing and is there any application here in AH?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Glide Bombing
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 12:56:10 PM »
Basically glide bombing is a variation of dive bombing, but with less steep angles. It was often done by planes not being able to resist high G pullouts, or fighters.

"Glide bombing is similar to dive bombing except that the attack angle is less than 60 degrees. This technique is better adapted to fighter-type aircraft which tend to develop excessive speeds in steep dives. Glide bombing is high-speed attack and bombs are released at an altitude of from 2,000 to 3,000 feet. Advantages over horizontal bombing include surprise and quick getaway. The disadvantages are that the bomb velocity is less than in dive bombing and AA vulnerability is greater than in dive bombing."

Source: NAVAL ORDNANCE AND GUNNERY VOLUME 2, FIRE CONTROL 1958 EDITION -> http://www.eugeneleeslover.com/USNAVY/CHAPTER-23-E.html
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Glide Bombing
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 05:30:56 PM »
Originally posted by clerick
I just finished reading James Bradly's "Flyboys" and in the book they talk a lot about how the Navy would dive bomb and glide bomb Iwo Jima.  What is glide bombing and is there any application here in AH?

I just got done reading that too....lol
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com