Author Topic: E.T. iPhone home :)  (Read 971 times)

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
E.T. iPhone home :)
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 04:50:50 PM »
It lacks MMS too.

Does not matter really. It will sell extremly well and I see alot of software update and additions for it in the future.

Will I buy one? no. Not because i hate apple, but because my E61i does what i need and the E90 will do even more than the E61i and better.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 06:13:47 AM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
no cut'n'paste functionality?

proprietery imap email client?

AJAX based web apps that can only accessed online via a slow gprs connection?

Screen that smudges?

No bluetooth A2DP functionality?

No hands free dialing?

Proprietery audio connector (recessed, requires special adapter from belkin to use standard 3.5mm plugs)?

The list is growing...

As someone else said, iphone is a good phone + ipod, but it is no smartphone or treo/blackberry killer.

Yea, but what about the Nun thing?
My experience has been quite the opposite as reported here.  :aok
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007, 08:25:39 AM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
Except for the recessed audio connector, most of that list will hopefully be addressed by software updates shortly.  That's why I haven't bought one just quite yet, I'm loathe to dump that much cash on a 1.0 product.

The screen getting dirty as a killer fault, though, is just silly.  It's glass, it doesn't scratch easily (I saw people scraping it with keys on purpose, putting it into a ziploc with metal stuff and shaking it, etc) so I'd just wipe it on my shirt if I had to.

I'll probably buy when the following are resolved:
1. Hands free dialing (It's a popular request)
2. File system browser
3. It's gotten at least one hardware revision.
4. I get the ability to use it as a bluetooth modem.

Under the nice-to-have list, I'll put the 3G speed connectivity.  They just bounced the speed of the data network from 40kbps to 200+kbps, but it's still kinda pokey.  I'd expect to stream most of my music off of my home machine when I'm on the road, that'd be a pretty easy thing to code from scratch or to expect to see as a feature from iTunes, so I'm not worried about the 4-8 gigs limitation.

You'll get real tired with the constant fingerprints on the big screen. At first it may seem as a no issue, when you find out you need to wipe it clean 10 times a day it starts to get annoying.

Not to even mention trying to operate one with dirty or wet hands..
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline FBBone

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2007, 01:15:20 PM »
I'm not terribly impressed with "Trust me" from someone who has never actually used it.  It's like being told how boring sex is by a nun.

Thanks for the sig material!:lol

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007, 01:30:07 PM »
I'm not terribly impressed with "Trust me" from someone who has never actually used it.  It's like being told how boring sex is by a nun.

sorry but that just plain funny,  worthy of sig material:lol

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2007, 01:42:14 PM »
it certainly seems like a good idea for someone who wants some degree of internet browsing ability and e-mail, but doesnt want to screw around with a actual computer...

it would make a good within north america travel gadget, its cheaper than getting sirius and a wimpy GPS system, and a emergency cell phone, and a digital camera for damnit, wheres my camera moments...

but i wouldnt want one otherwise.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2007, 03:12:32 PM »
Originally posted by MrRiplEy[H]
You'll get real tired with the constant fingerprints on the big screen. At first it may seem as a no issue, when you find out you need to wipe it clean 10 times a day it starts to get annoying.
Salient points, except for some missing data: I use touch screens every day.  I have a PDA with a touchscreen, same with my Carputer.  I've used touchscreen electronics daily since the late 90s, and I've developed a technique that results in no, zip, zero fingerprint smudges on the screen.

How?!  Am I a witch?

No, the technique is simple.  Instead of pawing at my screen like an ape, grunting in frustration as I mash my fingers repeatedly at the button I'm trying to hit and smearing BBQ sauce everywhere, I do things slightly different.  I turn my finger towards me (so I'm looking at the actual pad of my finger) and then, here's the hard part, I use the tip of the back of my fingernail to tap with high precision on the screen.

Unless your mother has trimmed your nails back all the way so you don't scratch your eyes out when you're having a fit, this should work for anyone.  It's a small, clean, non-greasy "stylus" that's built into the hands of every modern human, and it works.  

On the downside, it does tend to make you look slightly french.  But on the other hand, this is still better than shrieking primally and throwing feces at a broken iPhone because the "spirit gods" in it had shown you disrespect in the form of a clumsy fingerprint.

Legos are what you play with when you're old enough to stop trying to swallow Duplos, and the iPhone interface is for folks who are old enough to figure out that blindly mashing their big meaty paws at things isn't always the right answer.

If you wear boxing gloves and a football helmet, however, I advise waiting until hands free dialing is supported.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2007, 03:24:10 PM »
have any iPhones caught on fire yet?

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2007, 03:25:34 PM »
Salient points, except for some missing data: I use touch screens every day.  I have a PDA with a touchscreen, same with my Carputer.  I've used touchscreen electronics daily since the late 90s, and I've developed a technique that results in no, zip, zero fingerprint smudges on the screen.

How?!  Am I a witch?

No, the technique is simple.  Instead of pawing at my screen like an ape, grunting in frustration as I mash my fingers repeatedly at the button I'm trying to hit and smearing BBQ sauce everywhere, I do things slightly different.  I turn my finger towards me (so I'm looking at the actual pad of my finger) and then, here's the hard part, I use the tip of the back of my fingernail to tap with high precision on the screen.

Unless your mother has trimmed your nails back all the way so you don't scratch your eyes out when you're having a fit, this should work for anyone.  It's a small, clean, non-greasy "stylus" that's built into the hands of every modern human, and it works.  

On the downside, it does tend to make you look slightly french.  But on the other hand, this is still better than shrieking primally and throwing feces at a broken iPhone because the "spirit gods" in it had shown you disrespect in the form of a clumsy fingerprint.

Legos are what you play with when you're old enough to stop trying to swallow Duplos, and the iPhone interface is for folks who are old enough to figure out that blindly mashing their big meaty paws at things isn't always the right answer.

If you wear boxing gloves and a football helmet, however, I advise waiting until hands free dialing is supported.

according to the wikipedia entry, the iphone does not work unless you actually poke it with your finger.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2007, 03:51:27 PM »
Originally posted by vorticon
according to the wikipedia entry, the iphone does not work unless you actually poke it with your finger.

Yup, I've read a couple of review where woman complained because they couldn't use it with long fingernails. It must use one of those touchscreens that measures resistance.

Time to bail out of that burning cockpit chairboy :)

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2007, 04:11:12 PM »
Oh noes!

Well, I'll definitely wait until I can try one out first.  I'm not in the habit of wearing Lee Press-On nails or anything, maybe the "long fingernails" had a plastic component that affected their capability, but we'll see.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2007, 04:19:38 PM »

How?!  Am I a witch?

Well if using it requires some special awkward technique then it can't be too convenient in the end now can it?

Nokia N95 provides 10x more functions (including 3G) and with conventional buttons too. HSPDA (3x3G speed) caller independent hands-free call functions.. 5Mpixel camera..

All iphone has is design. Not a strong win even there tho.

Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2007, 04:25:33 PM »
Awkward?  It's not awkward, it's very straight forward.  It works on all of the capacitance touch screens I have, I wonder if the iPhone is really different.

If the method I described is too complicated for you, then perhaps you're right, maybe a phone with buttons _is_ the right answer.

Edit: Hold on a second here....

Originally posted by MrRiplEy[H]
IA phone is for placing calls, if it's trying to be something else someone's fooling themselves.

This seems at odds with your post immediately above describing the virtues of the $700 Nokia N95.  Explain?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 04:29:43 PM by Chairboy »

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2007, 04:31:58 PM »
i have a cell phone, i use it to talk to people.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2007, 04:45:18 PM »
Originally posted by john9001
i have a cell phone, i use it to talk to people.

huh? ... sorta like a telephone only without a wire? :huh