Author Topic: Aviation movie reccomendation  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
Aviation movie reccomendation
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2007, 08:23:10 AM »
Originally posted by Treize69
You can probably find the DVDs of both on Amazon, or try pawn shops. I often find VHS or DVD copies of Memphis Belle in the $.99 bin at the local hock shop. IMO they should pay you to take it off their hands. Hate that movie.

You hate the original too?!? The 1943 one?!?

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2007, 10:06:45 AM »
I love the original, but the original is more of a wartime documentary than an actual "movie". The '90s remake basically takes everything that ever happened in 3 years of B-17 missions and crams it into 1 mission. I still say Michael Bay directed it under a pseudonym.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2007, 04:54:28 PM »
Originally posted by Treize69
I love the original, but the original is more of a wartime documentary than an actual "movie". The '90s remake basically takes everything that ever happened in 3 years of B-17 missions and crams it into 1 mission. I still say Michael Bay directed it under a pseudonym.

Yes. Thats what I thought it would be like. I love wartime documentaries. My i-pod is completely filled with old wartime documentaries. Thats why I want to see the original. Thanks for the warning about the 90s remake, thats what I figured it was like, but I hadnt seen it so I couldnt say.

Offline lengro

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2007, 06:41:48 PM »
Originally posted by DamnedRen
When yer done, tell us which one you like the best, then 2nd best, etc. :)

Ok - I have now watched those 3 movies, and what a great experience!

They are all very good - and very different - and if I should rate them in any order it would be:

1) "Twelve O'Clock High"
Surprisingly good for such an old movie.
Black and white movie from 1949 - the characters are played well, and the story of the "hard luck" bomber squadron and one mans fight to change it to the better is very good. Not many aviation scenes though.

2) "Dark Blue World"
Czech(ish?) pilots in RAF - escaped from their occupied country to England - very good airscenes - with really good sound effects. The movie (imho) jumps a little to much back and forth on its timeline - and the love story should have been in another movie - but the airfights are very exciting. The scenes where you look through their gunsights showing lead shots is just outstanding - and so ... AHII'ish :)

3) "Battle of Britain (new DTS version)"
There are lots and lots of beautiful airscenes - and its almost a documentary of all the aspects of BoB. What I dont like is the characters, they somehow seems unimportant - its like they are lost in the many details of BoB the movie wants to tell. Oh - and I hate the background music - in the middle of a dogfight this 100+ man orchestra jumps out of my surround setup, playing their lungs out!!

Thanks for the recommendations :aok
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!" Tuco - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Offline SteffK

• Silver Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2007, 04:10:00 AM »
Love all the films discussed here, so here is my 2 pennath,

BoB - Awesome! Excellent flying scenes, and plot lines, love it to death.

12 O'Clock High - Never Seen will have to watch.

Memphis Belle - Bloody Brilliant, awesome - Especially as it was filmed around where I used to live and can see the Church where I was Christened.

There is one addition that I would like to add, I know it is not a Film par se but it is a Mini Series called 'Piece of Cake'. The book is awesome as well if you get the chance to read it, written by Derek Robinson. He also wrote Goshawk Squadron about a Sqn of SE5a Pilots in WW1 and what they got up to, it's a scary, funny and heart wrenching Book, if you get the chance read it! It will scare the crapola out of you.

This mini series is a cracker, am gutted that I can only get the DVD in Region 1 and NTSC :(
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 04:15:42 AM by SteffK »
Steff K
This is the Flag of my Country!
This is the Flag of St George!!!
This is the Flag of my Country!

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2007, 06:50:47 PM »
I just saw two Aviation movies I had never seen before.

They were on Turner Classic Movies.

First was "Saber Jet" with Robert Stack.  B/W with nice P-80 shots for the first half.  Missed some of it helping the wife hang a painting but I DVRed it.

Second was INCREDIBLE.  It was "High Flight" (1957) with Ray Millard.  The RAF in the 50s with Hunter Jets and in beautiful color.  WISH I had DVRed that one.  Will have to look for it on DVD.

You get a chance to see the second one I recommend it highly for the fllight sequences.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Carwash

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2007, 07:40:50 AM »
One thing about BoB.  The rescued a lot of Spitfires from boneyards to make that movie.  Without BoB there would be very very few flyable Spits around today.

Offline klingan

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2007, 08:01:33 AM »
Originally posted by SteffK
There is one addition that I would like to add, I know it is not a Film par se but it is a Mini Series called 'Piece of Cake'. This mini series is a cracker, am gutted that I can only get the DVD in Region 1 and NTSC :(

I agree, i love this one :aok

The Few GFC

Offline Old Sport

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2007, 08:17:22 AM »
Wow, I guess Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo has finally come out in DVD.

Anyone know when that WWII classic "McHale's Navy Joins the Air Force" will be put on DVD?

Offline Goat1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2007, 08:36:12 AM »
My favorite is " The War Lover"
Followed by "12 Oclock High" and "The Blue Max"
"Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer." — Major Thomas B. 'Tommy' McGuire, USAAF

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2007, 09:02:36 PM »
all those above are excellent!  I might add a little known robert stack film called "Sabre Jet" Made during the Korean War... Has much better Jet action than either "Bridges At Toko-Ri" or "Flat Top"

Its an Korean War remake of "Fighter Squadron", in some ways better.  I am just an old Cold Warrior, I LOVE the patriotic overtones of wartime films... "way over the top" or otherwise.
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2007, 10:22:14 PM »
Kelly's hero's was always a favorite of mine

not a very realistic movie however damned funny but the set and vehicles and props were top notch even the trouble of decking a t34 out as a tiger was quite well done all things considered. they are still using those damn t34 tiger mockups (saving private ryan, band of brothers)
the short range mortars being portrayed as long range howitzers is a bit much though :D
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline eh

• Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2007, 01:09:07 AM »
Glad to see a few voted for my all time fave: Piece of Cake. Whoever the Director and/or Producer were, they doted on those Spits and 109s... lovingly filmed, with a gripping story and deep character development. I even ended up cheering for that moral degenerate, and completely nasty bastage Moggy, by the end. It's available on VHS, hopefully on DVD by now. The book is one helluva good read.

Second for me is Battle of Britain. [Those 109s were Buchons? Weren't they genuine Emils from the Spanish Air Force, which were shipped to Franco (together with the Heinkels) from early war Germany? Or did Spain buy them after the war was over?... which would make them Buchons I guess. I don't know].  

I loved Tora! Tora! Tora! which makes it a close 3rd for me.

The rest are also-rans IMHO. Dark Blue World has excellent filmed fights, but the love story is a long cliche that doesn't hold the film together very well. Memphis Belle has some great footage of the B17s over Europe, but it has every cliche possible, which ruined the film for me.

Except for the top 3, I would rather watch flight sim films.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 01:24:17 AM by eh »

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2007, 12:06:23 AM »
dark blue world
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.