Author Topic: Having problems getting my bomber off the ground  (Read 393 times)

Offline maximumtwo

• Zinc Member
Having problems getting my bomber off the ground
« on: July 06, 2007, 02:43:38 PM »
It is weird, I have tried the two 4 engine American bombers and I can't get either one of them over 25 mph.  The B17 I can't even get over 10 mph.  I have checked all 4 engines and made sure the RPM were right.  I have done it one engine and a time and all the engines together.  I have tried holding on the brakes but the breaks don't seem to work at all.  I don't know if there is a brake that I am missing or what.  Do you have to feather the props?  With that much horse power I should get past 5 mph in half the runway.

Max

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 03:06:07 PM »
You might have a calibration problem with your throttle axis. Do me a favor: Start up AH, go offline, select a field. Choose a B-17 and 25% fuel in the hangar, and any bombload.

Spawn on the runway and start engines (hit E). Don't switch around selecting different engnies, leave it to all (shift E I believe selects all, but it also defaults to this selection).

Run full throttle. Jam it forward. Then bring up the clipboard. Choose "E6B" on the clipboard. Note the manifold and RPM for the highest rating listed on the E6B. Check the instruments in the cockpit. See if the engines are really at full power.

If they ARE, you might have a brakes issues.

If they are NOT, then you have a calibration issue.

If the instruments are a fraction of what the E6B lists, exist the game. Go to Windows control panel, Game Controllers, bring up your joystick and calibrate it. Do so deliberately and carefully. Make sure all the motions of the stick work when you are done (move them to their full extents and make sure the images on the screen match your input). THEN go into AH offline, and choose the Setup > calibrate joystick (or wherever it's located) and calibrate all the 4 axis and click okay. Try to take off in a bomber again.

If it's a BRAKES problem then you have something locking your brakes. Spacebar, C, and V, are the brakes keys. Make sure none are sticking. Also check to see if you have any part of your joystick mapped to work as brakes (Or perhaps toe buttons on your rudder pedals?). Find what, if anything, is mapped to the brakes.

Offline maximumtwo

• Zinc Member
Thank you
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 03:35:40 PM »
I am still not sure exactly what is going on.  I can take off with 25% and 50% fuel.  My RPM are fine I check where you told me.  My brakes are keys on the key board and I am not sure why they don't seem to work yet.

Max

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 06:09:13 PM »
I had a similar problem a few months back.  Have you calibrated your stick in game?
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline byheck

• Zinc Member
Re: Thank you
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 06:57:26 PM »
Originally posted by maximumtwo
I am still not sure exactly what is going on.  I can take off with 25% and 50% fuel.  My RPM are fine I check where you told me.  My brakes are keys on the key board and I am not sure why they don't seem to work yet.

Max

After you get your Controlers calibrated {in basic operating system (such as WINDOWS} & Aces High (in game)}, you will find a 4 engine bomber will seldom [if ever] require more than 50% fuel in any Main Arena.  The heavier your plane is, the poorer it's climb rate will be.  50% can take you up to high altitude [20+K] and across most MA maps.  

Return To Base {RTB} trip can flight or glide a long ways with minimal fuel usage:
Set a high Climb Rate & engage throttle back {RPM & Mainfold Pressure}  
or stop engines & glide at a sight nose down atitude {angle auto}.
"By Heck"

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 09:29:21 PM »
Yep, first verify your getting full power and full RPMs via the E6B on clipboard.
If you are/when you do, then try lighten up on the fuel and/or bomb-load, and make good use of the flaps. Some bombers are harder to get aloft than others, try a lighter one to start with like a B26, Boston, A6 etc, then try a hvy with good initial climb like B17. The Lanc is the most difficult to get aloft due to its aweful initial climb rate.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 01:44:57 AM »
There is a bomber clinic next week in the training arena.

Tuesday, July 10th at 9pm US EDT.

Link>>