Author Topic: Black powder  (Read 711 times)

Offline Wolf14

• Silver Member
Black powder
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2007, 02:15:32 PM »
I just picked up a .50 Thompson center Hawken replica a few months back. Hadnt had a chance to shoot it yet, but the local gun shop has a .50 cal flint pistol I may do some checking on. Its a kit and needs some finishing.

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
Black powder
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2007, 03:11:42 PM »
Origanally posted by lasz2

hyena.. if you get one of the cartridge conversions for 45 colt...

You still must shoot black powder tho right? I mean.. load the 45 colt case with black powder?

lazs
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that you can get an SASS(Single Action Shooting Society) cowboy .45 Colt loaded with whatever kind of BP you like, available in boxes of 50.

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
Black powder
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2007, 05:16:47 PM »
Originally posted by Maverick
Laz,

That's correct, you must stay inside of black powder power levels. Using a smokeless powder would create a situation where it would be very easy to over pressure the load since the powder is so much less bulky. Just because the cylinder is converted to a cartridge it's still a weaker system than one designed for smokeless. I would never trust any of the imported repros with a full pressure smokeless load. I like my hands and eyes in the condition they are in and don't want to rearrange them.

I have a replica Sharps 50-70 carbine made by Garrett Arms in Virginia.  The cartridge is straight walled and lofts a 517 grain bullet when loaded with smokeless powder.  This rifle will also shoot black powder and a .50 cal lead ball thumb pushed into the end of the case.  I prefer the smokeless loads because it doesn't foul the barrel and the ball loaded bp cartridge sometimes becomes unassembled upon extraction when unfired, leaving the ball in the barrel and a cartridge spilling powder.

I mentioned this to a Sharps dealer at the Shot Show in Dallas a few years back, and he told me I would blow up my rifle using smokeless powder.  Now the shop I bought this rifle from said smokeless could be used safely, and Lyman's reloading manual does have specs for loading this cartridge with smokeless.  My loads are about mid level and this heavy rifle kicks about as much as a .22 and is not much louder.  Basically it is a very large .22 rifle.  So I'm fairly confident it's not going to blow up, considering it is closed breach and has a falling block action which is very strong.

Black powder is a class A explosive and can detonate by percussion.  If you drop your loaded bp weapon on the ground it may fire by accident so be careful.  Revolvers will ring fire sometimes because of this as well.  I suspect any magazine fed firearm loaded with bp cartridges could do this under the right circumstances.

I have fired smokeless buckshot shells from an old original Remington double barrel 12 gauge with the exposed hammers.  That shotgun has Damascus barrels and it's a lucky thing it didn't blow up because it was designed for black powder.  After I learned the error of my ways I started using bp shells.  Miraculously the shotgun was undamaged and this attests to the craftsmanship and strength of the early Remington shotguns.

Never use smokeless powder in any open breach firearm designed for black powder.  

Les

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
Black powder
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2007, 08:06:16 PM »
I have fired smokeless buckshot shells from an old original Remington double barrel 12 gauge with the exposed hammers. That shotgun has Damascus barrels and it's a lucky thing it didn't blow up because it was designed for black powder. After I learned the error of my ways I started using bp shells. Miraculously the shotgun was undamaged and this attests to the craftsmanship and strength of the early Remington shotguns.

Wow, you were lucky...I would'nt fire anything with damascus barrels, period. I've got an old drilling, a rifle barrel over a damascus shotgun tube, It's a wall hanger now.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Black powder
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2007, 09:09:28 AM »
I understand the pressures of black powder and smokeless.

many cartridges we have are originally black powder ones.. like the 45 colt and 45-70 and 44-40 etc.

When smokeless came out the same cartridges were loaded with smokeless and .. even tho the cases were large... very small amounts of smokeless were used so that they could be fired in the old guns...pressures for these old rounds are low.  

The 454 casul started out as nothing more than a 45 colt case filled with smokeless powder.. the case was extended slightly to keep it from being used in older guns.   same for the 44 mag.. you can get the same results out of the old black powder 44 special case.. and people did.. blew up more than a few too.

I am asking if it is recomended to fire low pressure smokeless rounds out of the replica conversions.

lazs

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Black powder
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2007, 12:08:40 PM »
Now I`ve got the fever BAD. lol
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Black powder
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2007, 09:36:56 PM »
Laz,

Go to a gun store and ask to look at the documentation for a BP pistol or rifle and your answer will likely be there.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Black powder
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2007, 08:46:22 AM »
I probly wouldn't buy a black powder gun at a gunstore.

I would imagine that the documentation that came with the conversion kits would say.  

I am almost afraid to say this but....

I also keep wondering how come the anti gun nuts don't seem to care about black powder... a felon can shoot black powder guns and own em.   John wesley and others killed dozens of men with em and what they did then they can do now..

I think that sane felons should be able to own a gun tho... any gun.   I think they ought to be able to vote too.   If they cant... then why the hell did we let em out in the first place?

lazs

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Black powder
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2007, 09:42:10 AM »
felons also have a hard time getting a job or renting a apartment, unless of course they are "undocumented".

in florida a felon can have their rights restored if they appeal to the governor.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 09:44:32 AM by john9001 »

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Black powder
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2007, 10:38:53 AM »
Originally posted by john9001
felons also have a hard time getting a job or renting a apartment, unless of course they are "undocumented".

in florida a felon can have their rights restored if they appeal to the governor.

May be hard for them in Florida, but not here. Go down to the corner of Turty Terd and a Terd.....................Toby will fix you up with a whole new identity at Wally World prices.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------