Author Topic: Chinese food 'made from cardboard'  (Read 3355 times)

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
Chinese food 'made from cardboard'
« on: July 12, 2007, 07:53:03 PM »
Are you a food vendor and feeling the pinch of higher meat prices?
Just substitute 60% cardboard and trim your overhead!

Regards,
Sun

BEIJING, China (AP) -- Chopped cardboard, softened with an industrial chemical and flavored with fatty pork and powdered seasoning, is a main ingredient in batches of steamed buns sold in one Beijing neighborhood, state television said.

The report, aired late Wednesday on China Central Television, highlights the country's problems with food safety despite government efforts to improve the situation.

Baozi are a common snack in China, with an outer skin made from wheat or rice flour and a filling of sliced pork. Cooked by steaming in immense bamboo baskets, they are similar to but usually much bigger than the dumplings found on dim sum menus familiar to many Americans.

The hidden camera follows the man, whose face is not shown, into a ramshackle building where steamers are filled with the fluffy white buns, traditionally stuffed with minced pork.

The surroundings are filthy, with water puddles and piles of old furniture and cardboard on the ground.

"What's in the recipe?" the reporter asks. "Six to four," the man says.

"You mean 60 percent cardboard? What is the other 40 percent?" asks the reporter. "Fatty meat," the man replies.

The bun maker and his assistants then give a demonstration on how the product is made.

Squares of cardboard picked from the ground are first soaked to a pulp in a plastic basin of caustic soda -- a chemical base commonly used in manufacturing paper and soap -- then chopped into tiny morsels with a cleaver. Fatty pork and powdered seasoning are stirred in.

Soon, steaming servings of the buns appear on the screen. The reporter takes a bite.

"This baozi filling is kind of tough. Not much taste," he says. "Can other people taste the difference?"

"Most people can't. It fools the average person," the maker says. "I don't eat them myself."

The police eventually showed up and shut down the operation.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/07/12/cardboard.food.ap/index.html
Freedom implies risk. Less freedom implies more risk.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 08:03:00 PM »
And to think the US imports a lot of its crap from china.

sickening
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 08:14:28 PM »
I bet the CCP would be quick to react with new measures.

The CCP... when they want something done they'll do it right away.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 08:16:03 PM »
forgot to add in my post

Thats why I dont buy meat from Walmart.

Walmart = China
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 09:43:26 PM »
Walmart grew by leaps and bounds when the pushed the "Made in the USA" stuff combined with the lowest prices... now their stores are bursting with illegal alien parasites and they could care less about the USA now.
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline majic

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 10:49:44 PM »
Heh, reminds me, I was in a K-Mart 2 weeks ago and saw a Made In the USA shirt.  I had to check, yup, made in Haiti.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 11:04:53 PM »
lol, what, and those late night burger joints ya'll rave about are any better?
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 12:25:52 AM »
Originally posted by majic
Heh, reminds me, I was in a K-Mart 2 weeks ago and saw a Made In the USA shirt.  I had to check, yup, made in Haiti.
:rofl :aok
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 01:06:31 AM »
The problem is 30 minutes after you finish you want to eat a newspaper.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 03:06:54 AM »
Actually ... 30 minutes later you're going to crap a newspaper.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 04:25:19 AM »
Hot off the press!
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 04:44:48 AM »
:rofl  @ rpm & Viking.

Regards,
Sun
Freedom implies risk. Less freedom implies more risk.

Offline Excel1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 05:39:15 AM »
Originally posted by Meatwad
forgot to add in my post

Thats why I dont buy meat from Walmart.

Walmart = China

Meat from China? ok I suppose.. if you have a death wish

Don't try their toothpaste

BEIJING - China has banned the use in toothpaste of a chemical linked to the recall of Chinese made products across the globe as it tries to reassure consumers its good are safe.

China's quality and inspection watchdog stressed that although there was no proof long-term use of toothpaste containing diethylene glycol -- an industrial solvent used in paint and antifreeze -- was harmful, it was still banning its use.

"Almost all of our toothpaste manufacturers no longer use diethylene glycol as an ingredient," it said in a statement posted on its website late on Wednesday.

The move is to "guarantee consumers' scientific use of toothpaste and also to avoid exporters suffering unnecessary losses", it added.

The ban takes effect immediately.

The chemical is similar to but much cheaper than glycerine, which is widely used as a syrup in medicines and toothpaste.

This week Spain became the latest country to take Chinese-made toothpaste off the shelves for containing diethylene glycol.

The United States, New Zealand, Singapore, Panama and several other Latin American and Caribbean countries have taken similar action.

Panama says at least 100 people died after taking cough syrup which contained diethylene glycol rather than the glycerine which was supposed to have been used.

Dunno how the Chinese get away with exporting so much toxic crap without suffering severe trade penalties. We sure as hell wouldn't be so lucky. Our exports, particularly our agriculture products have to be like Caesars wife.. beyond reproach. One slip-up, a trace residue of an animal remedy in exported meat for instance can result in trade barriers being slapped up and cost us big time in lost foreign earnings.

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 08:54:19 AM »
There was a report a few weeks ago about how over %25 of all childrens toys made in China did not pass federal sayftey giudlines and were unsafe.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 09:33:48 AM »
Gotta love it, cheap and dangerous products and massive pollution too. Good thing the Kyoto protocols give China (the world's second largest CO2 emitter) an exemption so that we can concentrate on what really needs to happen, namely returning America and its inhabitants to the pristine and natural state they existed in prior to European colonization. Oh, but instead of stone tools we'll have to use imported "stone look" plastic tools from China.

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams