Author Topic: Chinese food 'made from cardboard'  (Read 3354 times)

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Chinese food 'made from cardboard'
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2007, 05:35:07 PM »
If you have "Thomas The Tank Engine" wooden train vehicles for your kids they have just been all recalled...

Made In China train peices were coloured with paint containing lead.

if u have kids check this out.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2007, 05:57:13 PM »
No one is going to do anything, what nation doesnt have a huge chunk of its economy wrapped up in China?

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 12:37:43 PM »
Hi GTO,

Originally posted by GtoRA2
No one is going to do anything, what nation doesnt have a huge chunk of its economy wrapped up in China?

Sadly, you are probably correct there. The greed of the G8 nations in regard to China means that they will repeatedly turn a blind eye to a whole spectrum of abuses in China. They get up to everything from selling WMD components to madmen to harvesting organs from political prisoners, and yet we continue to accord them "most favored" status when it comes to trade.

The decision to hold the Olympics in Beijing, one of the most polluted and unsuitable  venues for athletics on earth is a case in point. Even widespread reports of a "Cash for votes" scandal in the IOC haven't changed anything. And so we are about to hold the premeir international sporting events in possibly the most corrupt, polluted, and repressive place that was considered by the committee.

Predictably the Chinese are preparing for the Olympics with crackdowns. I'd forward some of the emails I'm getting from Christians in China, but I'm not eager to put them in greater danger. The following story from Compass gives the general flavor of what I'm hearing of late:
http://www.compassdirect.org/en/display.php?page=news&lang=en&length=long&idelement=4942&backpage=summaries

Mammon is a tough God to serve, he invariably consumes his worshippers.
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2007, 08:47:49 PM »
China says it's a fake story: http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-6790192,00.html

Are they telling the truth?
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

storch

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2007, 10:31:12 PM »
how can you tell when a communist is lying?

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2007, 11:21:19 PM »
A: He's lying for the good of the proletariat, comrade!
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2007, 12:41:03 AM »
Originally posted by SirLoin
If you have "Thomas The Tank Engine" wooden train vehicles for your kids they have just been all recalled...

Made In China train peices were coloured with paint containing lead.

if u have kids check this out.

If you live in a house built before 1978. You might want ot consider getting rid of that too.

Actually while Im sounding sarcastic. Im really only being half sarcastic

According to the EPA

"Although lead-based house paint has long since been taken off the market, children living in older homes are threatened by chipping or peeling lead paint, or excessive amounts of lead-contaminated dust. More than 80 percent of homes built before 1978 contain lead paint"

http://www.epa.gov/Region2/health/leadpoisoning.htm

While even low levels of lead can be dangerous. The primary danger lies in the dust as it is more easily ingested into the system full strength, where as chunks and chips of paint will likely pass through.
Most often associated with old windows.
A pretty obvious example that a lot of people don't think about is something like this.

Sliding the windows up and down creates friction. as the  window rubs back and forth in the sash it wears down the paint and primer previously applied.
If you ever have the chance and see the old style single glass thickness windows. Open the window and look at the sill. Odds are you will see what looks to be a lot of grime and dust.
Well guess where a lot of that dust came from.

Now the scenario goes like this.
Small child  goes by window.. places hands in the sill to try to pull himself up to look out  the window better.
Dust gets all over fingers.
Then little kids being little kids. place their fingers in their mouths thus ingesting the dust from their fingers.
Lead enters their system. yadda yadda etc etc.

If you have these kind of windows, and small children. replace them.
If you cant afford to replace them right away.  Either don't open them . Or if you must or really want to have windows open for fresh air.  Open them from the top only.

I had a kid that used to live two doors down from me who suffered a severe case of lead poisoning that caused SEVERE RETARDATION.
It was both sad and sickening to look at and hear as we could easily hear the kid two houses away when he went into his fits.

I wouldn't wish this watermelon on my worst enemy.
I beg you all. HEED my words.

There are ways to have it dealt with. but you MUST hire a professional who is both qualified and certified for both testing and abatement.
They sell test kits in the store. And they can be a good indicator.
But they are NOT a replacement for a professional.
If you read the instructions on such test kits it plainly states this.

I'm actually considering getting into "Lead  testing and Abatement"
Its gonna cost a small fortune for the training. But there ardent that many certified in it in my area.

Most house painters are NOT certified in testing or abatement/encapsulation. And in my area those that ardent are exempt from the lead laws. From sanding and prep work needed which may release lead dust and particles. Into the air and on the ground.

So remember. just cause you had your house painted. Doesn't mean its safe.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 12:43:44 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2007, 05:05:29 AM »
This just in...."Cardboard" story was a fabrication!
Regards,
Sun

BEIJING, China (Reuters) -- Beijing police have detained a television reporter for allegedly fabricating an investigative story about steamed buns stuffed with cardboard at a time when China's food safety is under intense international scrutiny.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/07/18/china.health.fake.reut/index.html?iref=newssearch
Freedom implies risk. Less freedom implies more risk.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2007, 01:40:33 PM »
Originally posted by Sundowner
This just in...."Cardboard" story was a fabrication!
Regards,
Sun

BEIJING, China (Reuters) -- Beijing police have detained a television reporter for allegedly fabricating an investigative story about steamed buns stuffed with cardboard at a time when China's food safety is under intense international scrutiny.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/07/18/china.health.fake.reut/index.html?iref=newssearch

Damage control at it's best/worst? :rolleyes:
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 06:06:57 PM »
LOL, yeah like I'm going to believe the what the Chinese government is saying about the story.  Let's use some common sense.  Do you believe what comes out of Bush's mouth?  I thought so :lol
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2007, 06:22:38 PM »
Politicians only lie when their lips move. :D

Regards
Sun
Freedom implies risk. Less freedom implies more risk.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2007, 10:15:20 AM »
Heh, and now the "It's Fake!" might be fake, as predicted:

http://shanghaiist.com/2007/07/22/fake_fake_buns.php

Offline Neubob

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My Movie Clip Website
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2007, 10:22:38 AM »
I heard a story on the Radio, here in the DC area, of a Foodlion grocery store that had to resort to spilling bleach on all the food they tossed into their dumpster in order to discourage a nearby Chinese restaurant from raiding the dumpster for their raw materials.

storch

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2007, 11:23:37 AM »
I don't eat chinese food unless it's homemade.  when we first emigrated to the united states my grandfather started a company cleaning grease filters.  when I was ten or so I would accompany him during the summer months.  the stuff I saw inside chinese restaurants was appalling.  they are a very thrifty people and I'll leave it at that.

Offline Neubob

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My Movie Clip Website
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2007, 12:03:39 PM »
Originally posted by storch
the stuff I saw inside chinese restaurants was appalling.  

Could you give just a few examples? I need something gross to get me through the day.