Author Topic: As per your request....  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: As per your request....
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2007, 01:09:14 PM »
Originally posted by humble
Here you go...

Earlier tonight I was "accused" of "15" HO's by a certain someone. Told him he was mistaken and got the typical diatrab on 200. Told him i'd be happy to post the action in question.

The reality is that HO's are simply a part of the game....are there any here....you be the judge. All I see is questionable ACM on his part. Now the other part of the diatrab "ack hugger" certainly has some merit....then again I get bounced as I clear the field ack on takeoff and then get bounced in the ack as well.... I left the clip uneditied so its a bit long (5 min) but it shows the entire "action" in question.

Personally to me there is no "HO" beyond an actual merge, but even by the broadest possible terms the simple truth is that 90%+ of "HO's" simply are nothing but poor ACM by the victim followed by a whine......

Bad ACM=death=whine
He's in the "Screaming Whiners", what did you expect?   Who cares if he accuses you of "HO'ing 15 times", you didn't.   He managed his E piss poor and paid for it.  

WTG on the nice A20 kill.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
As per your request....
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2007, 01:18:08 PM »
I ended up in a HO debate on 200 one night when a Jug turned into my N1K2 and I HO'd him.  He could have just flown by and I would never have been able to catch him yet he turned right at me.

I told him he should have known to beware the HOing Niki.  Got a laugh out of quite a few on 200 for that comment.

I also got called lame for ack hugging in a low 190 by a Spit XVI (a well know participant of these BBS) perched 3-4K over me and who tried to cherry-pick me every time I left the protection of the ack (numerous attempts).  The lame comment came after he finally got greedy and was killed by the ack.  To be fair I initiated the fight from an alt advantage but stayed in too long and got too low and slow.

Oh well.  Shrug.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
As per your request....
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2007, 01:21:51 PM »
Originally posted by Kermit de frog
Humble, calm down & relax.  3,9 exists in 3 not 2?  I didn't realize I said or implied 2 demensions.  Garbage?  An overshoot works fine.  If the enemy likes to saddle up(and not take high deflec shots), he will have to slow down, then you can then go into a scissor move and wow, now you both are actually fighting each other win/lose/draw, both are having fun.  How am I making their job harder by telling them to try to help improve the community?  
What if senario:
If they taught everyone to vulch and avoid 1v1s, do you think they are doing their job correctly?  Even zebras have color.

My "issue" is simply that its not realistic to place "dueling" restrictions on the MA enviornment or a newer player. I have no issue per se with the "HO police" {although they are wrong most of the time}...I also have no issue with forgoing "cheap" shots by mutual consent or personal choice.

If you look at it from a trainers perspective your trying to lay a good foundation. Two fo the biggest "rules" are...

1) Never abandon the possibility of attack
2) Always turn into your attacker

Everything Mace said focuses on those to elements...and is fundementally correct. At that level a guy has a long long way to go to reach your understanding and execution of ACM. If we go further and use your example....

A "bounce", to a attempted over shoot, to a lag displacement or similiar counter....to a forced rolling scissors to a flat scissor...we now have a fight that by definition has boiled down to who forces who out front...or can hit the FQ snapshot. Now if we assume different planes one will have an edge...ie hog vs 38...the hog (IMO) has a clear edge in the scissors....but the 38 can hit the FQ shot better and possibly convert to a climbing spiral fight....so if i'm the 38 I'm gonna look for a top to bottom FQ snapshot and immediatley convert to a climbing spiral against your torque hoping to claw up and out of a losing situation....

You'll find 90%+ of the "old guard" prefer the "old rules" (myself included) but the trainers job is to provide the best foundation possible for the current realities. I dont disagree in principle with what your saying...simply recognizing that trainers teach barroom fighting not queensbury rules.

The 3D comment is there because you can very often catch a guy by saddling up in the vertical from a neg e position. Pulling up and into an attacking con isnt just a "HO" move. you've posted this multiple times about the 3/9 etc...

Bat and I always fly our "DA" fights with BB's only, great fun and forces exactly what you describe. But these are "fun fights" between friends...

I'm not trying to bash you in any way, just seperating the 3 elements...

1) original "topic"
2) appropriate foundation of knowledge for a newer player
3) "enhanced" rules of engagement

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline RELIC

• Nickel Member
      • http://DFA-Squad.org/
As per your request....
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2007, 02:04:08 PM »
Well I didn't witness the ch 200 tirade but is it possible he thought snaphook was the pony driver and didn't realize the A-20 was who shot him down?
Either way, it is entertaining to see a spit get killed by a buff :aok
DGSII Scenario-2012  352nd FG/487th FS
P-51D "Cold Gin"
Noseart

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: As per your request....
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2007, 02:43:01 PM »
Originally posted by humble
Here you go...

Earlier tonight I was "accused" of "15" HO's by a certain someone. Told him he was mistaken and got the typical diatrab on 200. Told him i'd be happy to post the action in question.

The reality is that HO's are simply a part of the game....are there any here....you be the judge. All I see is questionable ACM on his part. Now the other part of the diatrab "ack hugger" certainly has some merit....then again I get bounced as I clear the field ack on takeoff and then get bounced in the ack as well.... I left the clip uneditied so its a bit long (5 min) but it shows the entire "action" in question.

Personally to me there is no "HO" beyond an actual merge, but even by the broadest possible terms the simple truth is that 90%+ of "HO's" simply are nothing but poor ACM by the victim followed by a whine......

Bad ACM=death=whine

all i saw was a pony driver that was stupid enough to repeatedly fly into field ack...and i think it was this same one that seemed to keep trying to HO you.........as for the spit driver? whelp......no ho's there on your part. not even close.  unless the he thinks the canopy shot was a ho?:rofl :rofl

nice flyin dude.......didn't know an A20 coud do that<>
john
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
As per your request....
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2007, 03:34:46 PM »
Nice job Snap:aok
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
As per your request....
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2007, 03:39:26 PM »
Wow, you are an AH Trainer?:huh

If I bounce a low con and they go nose up into me, I immediately go vert and might either to a flat turn if the enemy is low on E or do a spiral climb if the enemy has lots of E.  I believe that the lower con feels that he has the right to ho, which is not the thinking a trainer should be spreading.  Let the trainee decide that.  When someone bounces me, I do not go nose up to HO them, I will defeat them with ACM using a simple overshoot.  

Fighting for me isn't taking these ho shots, or "high frontal" deflection shots either.  Personal choice I've made tells me a fight means I get a solution behind his 3-9 line.  These ideas would be healty to spread by the AH Trainers.

I never have to hear anyone tell me "hey man, nice ho".  Same type of flying also allows me to not hear "nice vulch, nice ack hugging, stick stirring, gang banging, nice running from a fight".

The golden rule seems to apply to AH as well.  It'll affect yourself and also ALL of the AH community.  This I believe should be taught by you Mace, since you have the power to improve the community, one individual at a time.

First off, I'm simply relating what is the real world norm and it's not a matter of who has what "rights" nor is as simplistic as you're presenting it.  Also, remember that I differentiate between a forward quarter attack or "taking him 180 out" and a HO (a term I never heard in RL).  A HO being the brainless, pipper on the target, and trigger down until one of you blows up "tactic".  As I said before, neutralizing your opponent's attack is both basic and fundamental.  Once you learn the basic fighter concepts, maneuvers, and philosophy it's time to move on to more advanced styles and techniques and yes, a high Pk shot such as a saddled in tracking one is usually the most efficient and desirable position but, that does not eliminate fundamental principles.

Of course, a lot also depends on the tactical situation as I mentioned in my first post.  In a gentlemanly 1v1 dual you typically start from a neutral position and for go any shots prior to the first merge, that's different from the more realistic MA fights.  In a many v many (or when outnumbered and defensive) your first goal is to not die.  Your second goal is the reduce your adversary numbers (or find an avenue of escape).  In these situations it is usually not practical (or intelligent) to set up your nice, high Pk rear quarter tracking shot because it makes you predictable.  You have to deal with what you're presented and not get shot doing it, that typically means capitalizing on shots of opportunity.  

Another concept that is rarely discussed has to do with the mental aspects of ACM.  There is a tremendous amount to be said regarding the mind-set of you and your opponent.  Just as an intelligent use of the vertical to sustain e can make a target nervous, by making him aware that you will take any shot presented to you he learns that he must stay away from your guns.  This is called being aggressive and driving the fight rather than simply reacting defensively.  It's fear or respect for you (and your guns) that limits his options.  It's this that tends to aggravate many players in the game and leads to peevish complaints on 200.  They are offensive, have the advantage (in numbers or position) and get PO'd when the target does not play his way.  In these cases you're achieving exactly what you want, he's frustrated, impaitent and getting angry because you're doing something he doesn't want and will start to make stupid mistakes that will let you kill him.  To summarize, when you're outnumbered and defensive take whatever shots you can when they present themselves.  If this is forward quarter then by all means it is the correct and proper choice.

I'll repeat myself here in saying that I do not agree with the pure HO fighting style wherein a weak pilot simply plays point and shoot like an FPS game.  Why?  Mostly because it's just plain foolish.  Put yourself in a RL situation and ask....would you really, by choice, put yourself in a situation where at best you have a 50% chance of dying?  No, not unless you're defensive and have no choice.  In AH, you do see far to many play the HO game because they don't know what else to do and there is no cost to a suicide attempt.  This is not the way I train.  The same goes for guys flying through massive ack, suicide porkers and bailing bombers.  

As far as what you think trainers should teach, well let's just say I respectfully disagree.  You're certainly entitled to your opinion and I respect and understand what you're saying but I teach according to what I know from my own experience and training.  I believe that the most enjoyment from the game comes when you put yourself into a real world mindset and ask, what would I do if those were real guns?  Since I know exactly what that is, that's what I will teach.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
As per your request....
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2007, 04:08:31 PM »
Originally posted by RELIC
Well I didn't witness the ch 200 tirade but is it possible he thought snaphook was the pony driver and didn't realize the A-20 was who shot him down?
Either way, it is entertaining to see a spit get killed by a buff :aok

No, he very well knew what kind of plane snaphook was flying.  

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
As per your request....
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2007, 04:21:43 PM »
<--Came up with the nickname Oreo for um :)
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
As per your request....
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2007, 08:07:33 PM »
Originally posted by Mace2004
First off, I'm simply relating what is the real world norm and it's not a matter of who has what "rights" nor is as simplistic as you're presenting it.  Also, remember that I differentiate between a forward quarter attack or "taking him 180 out" and a HO (a term I never heard in RL).  A HO being the brainless, pipper on the target, and trigger down until one of you blows up "tactic".  As I said before, neutralizing your opponent's attack is both basic and fundamental.  Once you learn the basic fighter concepts, maneuvers, and philosophy it's time to move on to more advanced styles and techniques and yes, a high Pk shot such as a saddled in tracking one is usually the most efficient and desirable position but, that does not eliminate fundamental principles.

As far as what you think trainers should teach, well let's just say I respectfully disagree.  You're certainly entitled to your opinion and I respect and understand what you're saying but I teach according to what I know from my own experience and training.  I believe that the most enjoyment from the game comes when you put yourself into a real world mindset and ask, what would I do if those were real guns?  Since I know exactly what that is, that's what I will teach.

I feel it's bad for the community if these ideas are being spread by an AH Trainer.  I offered 1 of 100 other ideas that you could teach instead.  I realize that this may be just 1 of many tactics that you teach.

At the very least, acknowledge to your trainies that they need to decide and fully understand what they are doing when they ho someone.  If I want to play a game of chicken, I won't be play'n $15/month to do that.

I gather you do not like ho'n as an only way of flying.  This type of thinking is flawed.  Who's to say when it's okay when to ho and when to not ho.  It's as simple as, never ho, and things will get better.  This of course will never happen, but the point is to strive to achieve this.   If someone in the future ho's me consistantly and nails me many times, I may decide to ho them back on the next encounter.  Afterwards, I'll realize it was wrong and it solves nothing.  He'll get a new plane and will probably ho me again in the future.  Then I'll have to decide if I want to ho him or not once again.  I may choose to not HO him.  If I die to a cheap shot, I'll get a new plane and repeat the process again.  Odds are with me that I'll acquire his "six" and kill him and when that time occurs, I'll feel a whole lot better from this event then from the retaliated ho event from earlier.

Good luck with your responsiblities as an AH Trainer.

P.S.  I remember I was flying a typhoon and dove on you over the water just south of A8.  A8 is on an island north of the mainland, I forget the nam e of the map.  Anyways, as I dove on you, you did a reversal exactly the same way I do to others.  You nailed me.   I was simple amazed.  On the next sortie, you did the maneuver again, this time, I was ready and denied your shot while I came over the top and killed you.
Point is that it's a great memory that I have of you.  I do not think of you as a ho'er, but as the typhy pilot that fought well.  You must have done something right for another person to remember a fight with you well over 1 year ago.   Mace2004
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
As per your request....
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2007, 08:18:58 PM »
Originally posted by Mace2004

Another concept that is rarely discussed has to do with the mental aspects of ACM.  There is a tremendous amount to be said regarding the mind-set of you and your opponent.  Just as an intelligent use of the vertical to sustain e can make a target nervous, by making him aware that you will take any shot presented to you he learns that he must stay away from your guns.  This is called being aggressive and driving the fight rather than simply reacting defensively.  It's fear or respect for you (and your guns) that limits his options.  It's this that tends to aggravate many players in the game and leads to peevish complaints on 200.  They are offensive, have the advantage (in numbers or position) and get PO'd when the target does not play his way.  In these cases you're achieving exactly what you want, he's frustrated, impaitent and getting angry because you're doing something he doesn't want and will start to make stupid mistakes that will let you kill him.  To summarize, when you're outnumbered and defensive take whatever shots you can when they present themselves.  If this is forward quarter then by all means it is the correct and proper choice.

I'll repeat myself here in saying that I do not agree with the pure HO fighting style wherein a weak pilot simply plays point and shoot like an FPS game.  Why?  Mostly because it's just plain foolish.  Put yourself in a RL situation and ask....would you really, by choice, put yourself in a situation where at best you have a 50% chance of dying?  No, not unless you're defensive and have no choice.  In AH, you do see far to many play the HO game because they don't know what else to do and there is no cost to a suicide attempt.  This is not the way I train.  The same goes for guys flying through massive ack, suicide porkers and bailing bombers.  

This is probably the best thing I've read on the boards yet.  This should be sticky'd up top.

Mace
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
As per your request....
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2007, 09:52:47 PM »
P.S.  I remember I was flying a typhoon and dove on you over the water just south of A8.  A8 is on an island north of the mainland, I forget the nam e of the map.  Anyways, as I dove on you, you did a reversal exactly the same way I do to others.  You nailed me.   I was simple amazed.  On the next sortie, you did the maneuver again, this time, I was ready and denied your shot while I came over the top and killed you.
Point is that it's a great memory that I have of you.  I do not think of you as a ho'er, but as the typhy pilot that fought well.  You must have done something right for another person to remember a fight with you well over 1 year ago.   Mace2004
Yes Kermit I remember that and several other fights with you.  I think it was almost two years ago when I was trying out the Typhoon and had to keep reupping new ones and meeting you in yours.  I was on the losing end each time but it was eye opening to meet a Typhie pilot that didn't make one pass (or best case two) and then run.  More recently I also remember one where I was in a Hurri and had a sustained and very difficult fight against your Typhoon before finally getting a decent shot off.  Given the relative capabilites of the two airplanes (and that I started with an e-advantage) I should not have had nearly the trouble I did.  I had to go back over the film numerous times to figure out how you were able to reverse over the top so quickly in such a non-agile truck...errr...plane :-).  
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF