Author Topic: 109G-6 "Mickey Mouse" JG5  (Read 729 times)

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
109G-6 "Mickey Mouse" JG5
« on: July 17, 2007, 12:13:54 AM »
Im starting on this skin while I finnish up on the 190. So far Iv found out that it was in JG5 flown by Major Horst Carganico but thats about it.

If any of you have any high res profiles on the plane or a good color photo of mickey it would help alot.

Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 01:35:43 AM »
Not sure if this helps, because it's a model type thing.

I'll see what else I can find.

EDIT:

Seems all I can pull up is models, with the exception of the Picture you posted, which I found a French website.

EDIT 2:

Managed to find this:

Still no color :(.

I'll keep looking.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 01:57:37 AM by mensa180 »
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 02:03:37 AM »
Jackpot?!

Link to place where I found this is here.

In case you wanted to read the posts, and make some adjustments.  (I'd keep those boards in mind as well, they seem to be a good source.)

EDIT!!!

Probably important info

I'd take a look at it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 02:15:44 AM by mensa180 »
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 05:54:35 AM »
Thanks mesa thats going to help alot.:aok
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 08:59:40 AM »
We discussed this some years back as well. I don't know if a skin was ever made of it back then, but the link to the discussion was put up also.

His conclusion is flawed. He has no experience reading old WW2 era photos. There is only 1 plane, but many photos in varying states of fade and bleed. He sees one that has the black pigment bleed out and says "the buttons are different! Must be a different plane!" when in fact the plane is the same and just the photo has aged poorly. Then there is another where the photo has has bleached over time, obscuring most of the scarf, and he says "See! The scarf is missing something, it's different!" when in fact it's still the same plane, only part of it is harder to see because the photo has aged poorly.

There is just the 1 plane in those photos. And yes, I can read old photos. For the most part. Better than the other guy on that other forum.

The other photos/images will be invaluable for helping you skin the plane, though.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 11:38:38 AM »
That's a sweet 109 profile the man did. I'm looking forward to seeing your skin TK.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 01:32:57 AM »
How does mickey look?

JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 04:15:36 AM »
Nice! Walt would be proud :p.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 09:49:41 AM »
The scarf isn't accurate. It should tilt up at the end, and have the other half of the scarf going up.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 09:54:10 AM »
Looking good so far TK, stay with it. :aok

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 12:44:27 PM »
OK krusty Ill fix it. How do you thing the paint on this plane was? I dont know if it was a two color wing or if it was all dark gray with light gray or white winter camo. Same with the body I just cant make it out.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 01:32:09 PM »
Well the wing will have 2 colors under the winter camo for sure. It'll have a standard splinter camo on the upper surfaces. The question is: which colors?

Looking at this:

You can see a few things. First the canopy framing. Second the german crosses. The fuselage cross seems to have been dimmed with a light coat of paint. The upper cross on the plane behind it seems to be less bright than the whitewash around it, as well. Perhaps they dimmed that slightly (though it's much more visible than the fuselage cross)

From the forum where the photos were shown, one person offered:

"but both also share a refitted windscreen assembly finished either in 74 or 66 (my guess is the latter)" and another agreed.

A third person said "A friend of mine and I were theorizing perhaps that the canopy frame was RLM74 and the rest of the plane was in RLM71. A second theory is that the frame is RLM66 and RLM70 was sprayed over the plane."

RLM66 is pretty unusual. It's black-grey (nearly black) and does not fit any camo patterns. I would say that if it's not RLM66 (and it really shouldn't be) then it's RLM74.

That means it's most likely a 74/75 splinter camo on the top. They would have replaced the canopy with something on-hand, meaning their aircraft shared similar paint schemes. If the canopy is 74, that means the areas immediately around it are 75 (and the camo continues beyond this). You can see sharp demarcations under the white wash on the wings, so THEY follow the norm. If you look around the whitewash you can see the camo demarcation lines on the fuselage going towards the nose (standard) and barely see them extending past the canopy rearward. There is evident mottling on the side. The mottling is the same color as immediately around the canopy, so make it RLM 75 for the most part.

It's clear it's got a normal camo under that whitewash, but the problem I have is this: Did he prepare an area for mickey, or did he just paint directly over the existing camo? That is, should there be a background to him or not?

Here is the photo where you can see the camo demarcation along the nose and behind the canopy.

EDIT: At first I thought it was a high-backed camo (only coming down halfway behind the canopy), but now I think it came all the way to the  bottom of the canopy frame, on further consideration.

That photo obviously has less whitewash than some others. You get to choose how much you want because he used that plane for a while and it would have differing amounts at different times.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 01:35:00 PM by Krusty »