Author Topic: Dayton Get Together Latest News!!  (Read 3736 times)

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
Dayton Get Together Latest News!!
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2007, 08:41:14 PM »
If it rains tomorrow are we still going to the Air show? Or are we gonna switch the air show day with the museum day?
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2007, 08:46:27 PM »
Auger, his daughters boyfriend and I are planning on flying in tomorrow morning.  Due to other scheduled events we'll be returning that evening but we'll at least be arriving in style :D

Looking forward to meeting a bunch of AHers tomorrow!

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2007, 05:36:27 PM »
Just saw on the news a stunt pilot crashed and died today at the Dayton Airshow.  What a horrible week for aviation.

WHIO-TV reported pilot Jim LeRoy of Billings, Montana, died on the way to the hospital after his S2S Bulldog biplane crashed at the end of a runway at Dayton International Airport in Ohio.

The plane was one of two making loop-the-loops with smoke trailing as part of Dayton's annual air show. It slammed into the runway across a field from spectators and caught fire.

A Blackhawk helicopter that was already at the airport transported LeRoy to the hospital, but he died en route, said Mark Carpenter, the airport's fire rescue manager.

The crowd stood stunned as the show was shut down for the day, witnesses said. The air show's general manager, Brenda Kerfoot, said the show would resume Sunday.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Falcon

• Copper Member
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2007, 06:01:29 PM »
I was there when it happened. It was a Bulldog biplane that was part of a 2 plane act that did extremely low stunts (extremely stupid.). They were doing a extremely low half loops and on the third loop the yellow Bulldog did a tumble roll really fast (Too fast I thought) and basically he was too low to pull out. The biplane hit the runway tail first and the prop caught on the runway afterward. Causing it to cartwheel. Few mins ago I saw a video of the crash and when I saw the tail hit the runway I knew the pilot had no chance. He was alive when they evaculate him by Blackhawk chopper.

The officals canned the rest of the show due the NSTB investation. They'll offer the people who went today a free admission tomorrow if they show up with their ticket snub from today. I'll try to go there tomorrow cuz I'm very interested in seeing the 2 female thunderbird pilots perform.

Falcon

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2007, 10:27:48 PM »
I was there when it happened. It was a Bulldog biplane that was part of a 2 plane act that did extremely low stunts (extremely stupid.). They were doing a extremely low half loops and on the third loop the yellow Bulldog did a tumble roll really fast (Too fast I thought) and basically he was too low to pull out. The biplane hit the runway tail first and the prop caught on the runway afterward. Causing it to cartwheel. Few mins ago I saw a video of the crash and when I saw the tail hit the runway I knew the pilot had no chance. He was alive when they evaculate him by Blackhawk chopper.

It's the ignorance like this that really sets me off about the morons that play this game.

Here you have some stupid AH seat jocky wannabe that went to see the "stupid stunts", as you put it, that a professional like Jim LeRoy perform for people like you and gave his life doing and you have the audacity to call it stupid.  Shame on you, you ***** pixel pushing wannabe.

Get a ***** clue Falcon!!  Jim LeRoy was one of the best of the best.  Performing and flying in an unforgiving career flying a plane to the edge and back so dumb arses like you could walk away thrilled that you got to see an amazing show.

You ignorant mother fker.  That guy gave his life performing for you.  And you have the audacity to call it stupid.  Jim LeRoy was the peak of aerobatic performance.  You watched one of the greats meet his demise, unfortunately like many others before him, giving his all for you.

Professional Airshow aerobatics is the most risky entertainment, extream sport there is.  What he did was not stupid, it was pure genius in an airplane. Have some respect even though you obviously have no capability to understand what you were watching and ignorant to think you have a clue enough to call what he did stupid.

Bow your *****g head in respect and shut the fk up.

Jim LeRoy was the best of the best, but his greatest talent wasn't in the air.  It was sitting at the autograph line until the last person, child, adult, left connecting with people less ignorant than you and maybe sharing the dream that it is to fly the way he did.

Airshow aerobatics spares no one, the worst or the best.  Maybe when you go to the show tomorrow you might understand what these people risk every weekend so that you can walk away thrilled and fulfilled and feel like your 20 bucks was well spent.

You may think I am being a little harsh but your indignant, ignorance and stupidity to make such a statement can not go unnoticed.

We lost a great hero, performer and man today.  God speed Jim LeRoy.  You were the best of the best.

And HT et-al if you edit this post shame on you.  You guys of all people should know better.

Original quote by: Jim LeRoy

On his website, LeRoy is quoted as saying "People want to see low, wild, and seemingly out of control, but at the same time they want discipline, precision, and complete control. You've got to take all of those elements and fuse them together in just the right way."

http://www.airshowbuzz.com/videos/view.php?v=4b92fd9f
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 11:28:41 PM by mars01 »

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2007, 11:02:29 PM »
Mars thank you for putting my thoughts into more polite words than I was capable of tonight.  I cut loose a string of MFs and bottled up so much fury watching the ignorant masses trying to catch a glimpse of the aftermath of what was almost certainly a fatal crash.  I won't repeat the things I heard today because they are not worthy of a response but I was set off tonight releasing a bit even amongst the folks at the gathering when we saw Falcon's post.

Thank you for using more class than I would have tonight and saving me the embarassment of actually following through with something foolish.

Jim LeRoy was within 3 feet of not having a scratch on him today.  A huge error or massive fault it wasn't.  He lived on the edges I dare not dare to entertain us and it doesn't take a big mistake to cause catastrophe.  His airplane hit the ground with the nose level or even slightly up, left wing low and damn near made it out.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 11:06:42 PM by Golfer »

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2007, 11:13:24 PM »
I have to agree with Mars also . Stunt Pilots are adrenalin junkies fully caught up doing what they love to do . Its been a very sad week .

<-- shuts up now .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2007, 11:14:31 PM »
Jim LeRoy was within 3 feet of not having a scratch on him today.

That breaks my heart.  Words can not convey...

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2007, 11:19:13 PM »
Originally posted by mars01
That breaks my heart.  Words can not convey...

I didn't know him but more than knew of him.  As far as today goes he was damn close Mars.  Damn close.

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2007, 11:53:43 PM »
This quote was taken from a thread, on another site, discussing weather or not the X team was too much or taking it too far...

Sounds very entertaining, but I wonder if an "extreme" show can go from entertaining to just flat out dangerous. There are some in the business who feel that another collision is a real possibility, either between the aircraft or involving the ground acts. Also it will be interesting to see how many shows could afford such an act with todays limited resources.

This is Jim's response - Haunting as it is...  Posted 6/29/07

I?d like to share my view on the post by aerojet49. First of all, a collision is always a possibility whether it is with the ground or with another vehicle and the risk factor increases with an increased number of vehicles/elements in the show; it?s a simple matter of mathematics. I wish I could say it wasn?t so, but as an engineer, and a realist, I?d be lying. We all try to minimize the risk by proper choreography, practice, and preparation. We try to learn from our mistakes as well as the mistakes of others. The reality is harsh? in our business, there will always be more accidents. We try our best to not let it happen, but we all know that at the end of the season, we will sit down at the ICAS convention and watch a video paying tribute to our comrades that were lost that year, and our hearts will break, again. The only solution is to keep the airplanes in the hanger, but that?s not why we build airplanes, particularly airshow airplanes.

I think the X-Team charter is clear by now to everyone ? we want to increase the quality of entertainment at airshows. We also want to expand the public awareness of airshows ? too many people know nothing about what airshows are all about. We feel that this is a path towards increasing attendance and bringing more attention to airshows and aviation in general. There is risk involved with anything, and when you try new things in a business such as ours, there will always be critics. We try to listen to them - sometimes there is merit and sometimes not. If there are people in the business that are truly concerned about X-Team I would be happy to discuss their concerns with them, to include our methods and procedures. Everyone in the business knows how to contact me. All X-Team pilots fly very aggressively; consequently, we?ve all heard ?you?re going to kill yourself? over and over and over. You get numb to it after a while, but you have to be careful not to brush off a legitimate concern, and you have to acknowledge the risk and know that in the end, they might be right. No matter how well you prepare and practice there are no guarantees.

Jim LeRoy
X-Team
Team Leader

Offline RacrX

• Copper Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/motrx
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2007, 01:41:19 AM »
Yea it was a bummer... but no use slinging insults about it. I was there and had a blast despite the very sad incident. Had fun and got to meet a lot of class act Aces High pilots.

SHAWK was an excellent and courteous host and everyone else I met was just as excellent.

Pics and vids coming soon!

And the mullet was truly awe inspiring! :)

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2007, 03:32:26 AM »
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 04:01:15 AM by Furball »
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline TwrATM

• Zinc Member
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2007, 10:47:19 AM »
It's the ignorance like this that really sets me off about the morons that play this game.

Here you have some stupid AH seat jocky wannabe that went to see the "stupid stunts", as you put it, that a professional like Jim LeRoy perform for people like you and gave his life doing and you have the audacity to call it stupid.  Shame on you, you ***** pixel pushing wannabe.

Get a ***** clue Falcon!!  Jim LeRoy was one of the best of the best.  Performing and flying in an unforgiving career flying a plane to the edge and back so dumb arses like you could walk away thrilled that you got to see an amazing show.

You ignorant mother fker.  That guy gave his life performing for you.  And you have the audacity to call it stupid.  Jim LeRoy was the peak of aerobatic performance.  You watched one of the greats meet his demise, unfortunately like many others before him, giving his all for you.

Professional Airshow aerobatics is the most risky entertainment, extream sport there is.  What he did was not stupid, it was pure genius in an airplane. Have some respect even though you obviously have no capability to understand what you were watching and ignorant to think you have a clue enough to call what he did stupid.

Jim LeRoy was the best of the best, but his greatest talent wasn't in the air.  It was sitting at the autograph line until the last person, child, adult, left connecting with people less ignorant than you and maybe sharing the dream that it is to fly the way he did.

Airshow aerobatics spares no one, the worst or the best.  Maybe when you go to the show tomorrow you might understand what these people risk every weekend so that you can walk away thrilled and fulfilled and feel like your 20 bucks was well spent.

You may think I am being a little harsh but your indignant, ignorance and stupidity to make such a statement can not go unnoticed.

We lost a great hero, performer and man today.  God speed Jim LeRoy.  You were the best of the best.

And HT et-al if you edit this post shame on you.  You guys of all people should know better.

Amen my friend!

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2007, 12:03:55 PM »

You know when a crowd is watching something like that and something like that happens, it's really horrible.After  an accident happens and you ask witnesses what they saw most of the time you'll get 3 or 4 different stories about what they saw.This guy posted his opinion because he was there and saw it.Maybe he thought the guy was flying a little to low and it worried him.I was there and it is horrible what happened it truely is, and it's a big loss too the planet as a whole.But do you really need to come on here and type the foul statements you typed??????

Just like Evil Kanevil, if you take the risks there is a hefty price tag involved.Jim Leroy knew that and went on anyway and for that i SALUTE him.But don't chastise someone for thier opinion, cuz opinions are like ..............well you know the rest.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 12:06:09 PM by Sweet2th »

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2007, 01:56:33 PM »
Originally posted by Sweet2th
You know when a crowd is watching something like that and something like that happens, it's really horrible.After  an accident happens and you ask witnesses what they saw most of the time you'll get 3 or 4 different stories about what they saw.This guy posted his opinion because he was there and saw it.Maybe he thought the guy was flying a little to low and it worried him.I was there and it is horrible what happened it truely is, and it's a big loss too the planet as a whole.But do you really need to come on here and type the foul statements you typed??????

Just like Evil Kanevil, if you take the risks there is a hefty price tag involved.Jim Leroy knew that and went on anyway and for that i SALUTE him.But don't chastise someone for thier opinion, cuz opinions are like ..............well you know the rest.

What makes you think anyone wants your two cents Autopilot?

Mars is human, sue him.:rolleyes: