Author Topic: my map in progress  (Read 933 times)

Offline MotleyCH

• Nickel Member
my map in progress
« on: July 21, 2007, 10:38:47 AM »
Still drafting a mockup for the Field Layout.
I think I'm way over my head for this..but I'm going to give it a try. Here's what I have so far.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 10:42:04 AM by MotleyCH »

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
my map in progress
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 12:22:30 PM »
I like it. Have one question though. Why does the center island have no bases on it?
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
my map in progress
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 12:41:39 PM »
Has a lot of potential. You need to take strat into consideration at this point.

Offline MotleyCH

• Nickel Member
my map in progress
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 02:04:50 PM »
Originally posted by Husky01
I like it. Have one question though. Why does the center island have no bases on it?

Skuzzy made a comment about NO Fightertown , and I'm not to fond of the idea of a Tank Town. So I left it blank for now.

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
my map in progress
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 11:00:34 PM »
For something different, why not have ports on that island with cvs around it? No GV spawn points. Would be kind of a CV Island.

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
my map in progress
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 11:04:07 PM »
Originally posted by Raptor
For something different, why not have ports on that island with cvs around it? No GV spawn points. Would be kind of a CV Island.

I really like that idea!
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
my map in progress
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 11:57:32 PM »
Hmm...if he doesn't use that idea, I think I will. I'll trade the bases on the center isle for ports and make the current ports airfields.

EDIT: Motley, you ought to get an image editing program that uses layers such as GIMP (free) or Photoshop (very not free). Then you can use a transparent layer to place your field dots and another for GV spawns. Then mark the numbers down and as you're building the terrain, make a copy of that image file (naming it something different, like mine is currently Vehicle Fields.xcf and Vehicle Fields Working.xcf) and erase each dot as you place the field, saving the image whenever you save the terrain file. This way you know how far you've been set back by a TE crash, if you take a break you know where you left off, and you can even put the fields on in non-numeric order without getting confused.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 12:02:20 AM by OOZ662 »
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline MotleyCH

• Nickel Member
my map in progress
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 10:33:30 AM »
Originally posted by Raptor

Ya..I thought of that, too.

I'm going to submit this pic to Skuzzy soon..and see if it would be acceptable. I don't want to put in a lot of work into it if it's not doable for the MA.

Offline MotleyCH

• Nickel Member
my map in progress
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 10:38:41 AM »
Originally posted by OOZ662

EDIT: Motley, you ought to get an image editing program that uses layers such as GIMP (free) or Photoshop (very not free)....

I use Paint Shop Pro..same thing I made a few skins with.

I made layers already..one for each type of field. Good idea tho, thanks.:aok

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
my map in progress
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 10:36:54 PM »
Actually, I was planning to place both VB's and ports on the center island on the map I'm building...

"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
my map in progress
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 11:13:37 PM »
Crap, I was going to...but if everyone else is...bah! :D
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
my map in progress
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 05:05:18 AM »
Nice layout.
One very minor suggestion: move the west country HQ one sector southwards ;)
I would also add the three A-bases to the center islands. It is hardly a "fighter town" if the bases are far enough from each other.. something like 1 sector(?).

Without the center islands' bases the rest of each country's center bases are a bit far from enemy bases, while each group of 3 bases (plus their V-bases) are so tightly grouped that they are quite easy to defend. I suspect that the fights would develop to outer fronts like on Lake Uterus map, because base distances are shorter there.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
my map in progress
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 05:42:45 AM »
Originally posted by BlauK
Nice layout.
I would also add the three A-bases to the center islands. It is hardly a "fighter town" if the bases are far enough from each other.. something like 1 sector(?).

Without the center islands' bases the rest of each country's center bases are a bit far from enemy bases, while each group of 3 bases (plus their V-bases) are so tightly grouped that they are quite easy to defend. I suspect that the fights would develop to outer fronts like on Lake Uterus map, because base distances are shorter there.
Good call on HQ! :)

But I disagree with the center island. I'd remove it entirely and move the other islands a little closer to the center. But either way would work.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline MotleyCH

• Nickel Member
my map in progress
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by BlauK
Nice layout.

Ok will adjust the HQ. Still thinking about the center...ports or A-base ...hmmm.