Author Topic: Eagl, your G8 is back  (Read 669 times)

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Eagl, your G8 is back
« on: April 11, 2014, 12:45:20 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/04/10/2014-chevrolet-ss-test-drive/?intcmp=obnetwork

The new SS is the new version of the G8.  0 to 60 in 5 or less, and 13's 1/4 mile.  Over 400 HP with the LS3 motor.  Magnetic suspension, Brembo brakes.  Pretty great stuff.  44$k, and the only option is a sunroof.  That's it, just a single option.  Pretty cool.  I can't wait, I think I've found my new 4 door car for next year.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 12:47:32 AM by Gman »

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
Re: Eagl, your G8 is back
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 12:50:59 AM »
I love my Commodore. I have the VZ Calais that the last Monaro/GTO was based off. I plan on picking up one last Commodore before they stop the line.

RIP Holden, killed by GM 2014.

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 07:16:29 AM »
I like the idea of the SS but with no manual transmission available and an outrageous price tag, I have a feeling the SS will fail pretty quickly.

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 08:05:15 AM »
I like the idea of the SS but with no manual transmission available and an outrageous price tag, I have a feeling the SS will fail pretty quickly.

They were only intending to sell 3-4k a year. If they got the Manual certified then it would never have made it back to the US.

As to the price, it lines up very well atm with its competitors.

2014 Chevrolet SS                 2013 Dodge Charger SRT8 392
Base Price:   $45,770                               $47,475

You have to keep in mind that the SS is now loaded excluding a sunroof and spare wheel.

Here is the Ute (pickup) version running a 8:19:47 at nurburgring nordschleife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcyyPeNKA8g

I really wish they had a HSV GTS on hand to do this. It would be so much quicker as it uses the LSA from the CTS-V and a host of other upgrades and tweeks.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 11:59:06 AM »
A few people who work near me got the new Chevy SS.  It's a sweet car.  The primary drawback in my opinion is that it looks like a Malibu.  Seriously, it takes all the styling cues straight from the Malibu, so you have to get close enough to read the badges to be sure.

With a good tune, the auto transmission is actually pretty good.  Inside, they've loaded it with plenty of features to justify the price tag.  In the end, people who buy the SS will do so because of the performance compared to any other 4-door sedan in its price range, and the fact that it isn't a "I wanna look like a gangsta" dodge.  People with more money will get a Cadillac CTS, people who like the gangsta look will get a dodge.

I've had a lot of people wish that the SS carried over some of the G8 styling cues, to make it look less like a melted bar of soap, less like a Malibu.  Just leaning back towards the holden commodore styling would be an improvement and would make it stand out a lot more.  As it is...  "meh" is the best you'll get for its styling.  Which is too bad, because it's a rather good car underneath the Malibu skins.

My only complaint about the interior is that they took a retro cue from the Camaro, and separated the tach and speedo inside two separate tubes you have to peer into.  WTF.  I guess some people get off on that look, but it's a gimmicky distraction as far as I'm concerned.  The G8 had a stupid silver trim piece that reflects badly off the instruments, but the fix would have been to eliminate or shield that trim piece, not glue 2 1-lb coffee cans onto the speedo and tach for the driver to peer into.  Other than that, the tech inside the SS is top notch I think.  And the engine...  sweet.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 12:18:35 PM »
For the same price I'd rather just get a 2 year old cts-v. Better looks, better performance, and you can find a manual transmission. There are plenty of low mile 2011-2012 cts-v's for sale in the low 40's. The SS will flop.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 12:47:32 PM »
I know few guys supercharged their G8s turning them into 600 HP beasts.  It will be cool to see the SS on the road.

PS;  I whipped 3 CTS-Vs with my low priced under-engineered Mustang ;)
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 08:14:51 PM »
Driven a few of them now.  The SS is an impressive car.  Not quite as quick as the Camaro SS, but feels a bit more planted in the corners. 

The one thing I really like about it....  The seats.  They just fit.  It's definitely a driver's car.

The one thing I hate about it...  GM still hasn't figured out what premium audio should sound like.

Sweet car for sure, just need to tinker with the audio a bit.

AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 09:55:52 PM »
The one thing I hate about it...  GM still hasn't figured out what premium audio should sound like.

Sweet car for sure, just need to tinker with the audio a bit.

They got the polarity of the subwoofers backwards in the G8.  From the factory, the subs actually dampen out bass, so much so that many people would crank up the sub amp volume (hidden next to the battery in the trunk) which helped bass a little bit, but at the expense of subduing mid-range.  Simply swapping the wires on the subwoofers is a HUGE improvement.  Before I swapped the wires, I had the equalizer settings all over the place, bass and treble both cranked up, subwoofer dialed up to the max, and I still wasn't happy with the sound.  After swapping the wires, I was able to turn the equalizer off completely, set bass and treble boost back to zero, and dial the sub amp down off of its max setting.

GM of course swears that the wiring is "correct" from the factory, but some people hooked up various bits of electronics and sensors to the wires and speakers and found that they were in fact reversed from the factory.  I hope the SS doesn't have the same problem...

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 10:38:13 PM »
Eagl why not just replace the dash?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 12:15:11 PM »
Eagl why not just replace the dash?

That's major surgery and importing the parts from Aus is pretty expensive.  Some people have done dash mods in the G8 using either custom AC vents and ducting, or imported holden parts, but the kits are pretty expensive.  If I recall correctly, its a few grand for the vent relocation kit that moves the vents around to make room for an add-on in-dash GPS mounted behind the console.  I don't know if a dash replacement kit exists for the SS.  I do know that GM locked various in-car computer components to vin and serial numbers to explicitly prevent swapping electronics in and out of G8s, so I expect that they are going to make it equally difficult to mod the SS dash and interior.  Some folks managed to hack together a stereo upgrade for the G8 using other GM parts but again the kit was very expensive, around $3,000 or more, and it didn't seem to be worth the money to me.  The G8 was "missing" some features like back-up camera and in-dash GPS which was the motivation for some of those mods, and I don't know if the SS has enough missing features to warrant that much effort.