Author Topic: Film shows me getting shot 40° above his nose!  (Read 571 times)

Offline Nangleator

• Zinc Member
Film shows me getting shot 40° above his nose!
« on: July 24, 2007, 12:27:05 AM »
I just got shot down (by catch) in a fight while I was looking at his top aspect.  I wondered if lag had something to do with it, but fortunately, I was recording at the time.  I have a very brief video, but it's entirely clear that my plane is WAY above his nose, nearly out of his forward view as he shoots and kills me.  I had been completely undamaged.

Does lag distort movies the same way it distorts gameplay?

If anyone wants to see this video, either give me your e-mail addy, or tell me how to post it to a message.

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 12:33:08 AM »
Yes lag is a factor if he shoots at what he sees on his screen and hits it will count as a hit. Even if you see it differently.
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Film shows me getting shot 40° above his nose!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 12:39:10 AM »
Originally posted by Nangleator

Does lag distort movies the same way it distorts gameplay?

Yes, because the move can only show what YOU see in game.

Having a greater ping time (=lag) than most US players, almost all of my films show the enemy seemingly hit empty space behind my plane, yet I get the damage. I simply have to live with it and try to adjust accordingly.
(Of course it works the same the other way around when I shoot them)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 12:40:36 AM »
The film shows what your computer 'saw' - eg you, and the position and behaviour of your oponent 300-400 milliseconds (or more) ago. The point is what you 'see' and what your opponent 'sees' at any given point in time are two different pictures.

Try signing up for a free file-hosting site and upload it then put a link to it on this thread. Google "free file hosting" and there are many to choose from.

Click profile ^^^ above and there should be a link to email it to me. Im not putting my email address on the board.
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Nangleator

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 12:47:56 AM »
Let's see if this works.  Jump right into "catch" right away.  It's brief.

I think my lag may have come from my starting the recording.  I always get a bit of a freeze when I do that.  I guess I shouldn't do it during a dogfight.

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 12:52:03 AM »
Yup, that works. Yup, thats lag. Nothin out of place there.

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 07:59:23 AM »

I think my lag may have come from my starting the recording.  I always get a bit of a freeze when I do that.  I guess I shouldn't do it during a dogfight.

hey, as a side note, If you have too many films recorded in your AH directory it will cause this lag when you start films.

best option is to have regular clear outs of the films folder, save anything you want into a seperate folder outside of the AcesHigh folders.

If you have more that 50-100 films it can cause some problems when starting films, and even sometimes cause your game to crash and stop working correctly.

bat
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline stockli

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 05:04:39 PM »
that has been happening to me quite often lately as well.

I have been chalking it up to lag.

It sure can be frustrating especially when your NME has cannons....:cry

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 05:31:24 PM »
Let's see if this works.  Jump right into "catch" right away.  It's brief.

i don't understand that...i even watched from his aircraft.......there didn't appear to be a shot there????
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 05:45:13 PM »
Originally posted by CAP1
i don't understand that...i even watched from his aircraft.......there didn't appear to be a shot there????

"appear" is the key to this. No, your right, it certainly doesn't look it from what his front-end saw. But remember his film is recording what he did at time X and what catch did about time X minus 1/2 a second. They both play in real-time, but catches actions are recorded all delayed by 1/2 second. It looks like catch was about 1/2 a second too slow at getting his nose around to take that shot, doesnt it? Well he actually DID get his nose around in time, its just that the film from nangle's perspective doesnt show it due to lag.

Due to lag, there is no absolute reality coinciding at any instance of time. Instead, at any given point of time, there are multiple realities in which everyone sees something slightly different. Thanks lag!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 05:48:11 PM by Spatula »

Offline stockli

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 02:05:51 AM »
Kind of like congress.