Author Topic: CH Stick  (Read 464 times)

Offline MWL

• Nickel Member
CH Stick
« on: July 21, 2007, 09:16:50 PM »
Greetings,

The ol' F22 stick just ain't cutting it anymore and I am tired of ebaying for replacement parts.  So, (don't tell wifey) today I purchased a CH Stick and Throttle from Amazon.  They should get here in a couple of weeks.

Is the throttle a keyboard emulator, or will AH read the throttle input directly?

Also, can I steal somebody's AH CH files?  I assume it works in a simular manner to the TM products in that you must program the buttons.

Regards,
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 09:19:56 PM by MWL »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: CH Stick
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 09:49:33 PM »
Originally posted by MWL

Is the throttle a keyboard emulator, or will AH read the throttle input directly?

Directly, it's an analog axis.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Auger

• Nickel Member
      • AKs Home Page
CH Stick
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 10:33:01 PM »
AH will read the throttle directly, and it will work fine for standard key mapping.  If you are a gadget-head (like me) you will probably want to use the CH Control Manager software.  It allows macros and programming, as well as doubling the number of buttons available.  About the only things I use the keyboard for are typing messages and turning the engine on.

If you use the AH key mapping you won't need any CH configuration files, although you'll probably need someone's AH mappings.

Offline Optiker

• Zinc Member
CH Stick
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 07:33:39 AM »
MWL
your post didn't say, but the CH HOTAS doesn't have a rudder control in the conventional (read twisty) sense. I got mine a couple months B4 the budget would allow me to purchase pedals. The way I setup the CH was to program the rudder to the mini-joystick on the throttle. Because the mini-stick is analog, you can setup a single axis on the stick to control rudder.

I haven't bothered to use the CH control manager - the game's button/axes/switch program assignment is rich enough so I have all the controls I (currently) need or can remember assigned to the throttle/stick.

One additional piece of hardware I reccomend is a powered USB hub. It might just be my computer but B4 I got the powered hub I was occasionally seeing spikes/lags in the response to stick/rudder input - since installation of the powered hub everything USB is functioning much smoother.

Regards,
Optiker

Offline MWL

• Nickel Member
CH Stick
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 11:22:50 AM »
Greetings,

Thanks all for the posts.  

I will try the system with the basic configuration before I start messing with the control program.  Hopefully, I can get something close to what I have now so I won't have to retrain my fingers!

I have a set of TM rudder pedals and they are analog (duh!) and I am hoping I can just plug them into the game port with the stick into the USB hub and all will be good.

Regards,

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
CH Stick
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 01:46:59 PM »
Hey mole,
I have the same setup, except I have the CH pedals as well.

You can map all the keys to the controllers through the AH configuration program.

Let me know when you get them hooked up and I can walk you through my own configuration.  I think it's pretty intuitive, and I actually have buttons to spare.
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
2 Joysticks
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 09:25:41 AM »
I use two joysticks, the primary is the CH, and my second left hand is for twist, and I use the zoom, and the highhat switch on the second to zoom in and out, not to mention, i also use it for throttle. And on the second I put my wep, flpas, and others crapola. It works nice, may take a little to get used to but it really well for me now. I love my CH stick, so frigging smooth, after 2 months now. I usaully go through a stick a month. Im harsh on sticks.

Cheers
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline MWL

• Nickel Member
CH Stick
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 09:12:26 PM »
Greetings,

Thanks all.  The stick and throttle will arrive on or about 30 July (along with the Firefly season!).

I look forward to using Tounces set up until I can figure out the programming system.

Regards,

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
CH Stick
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 10:31:18 PM »
Originally posted by toonces3
Hey mole,
I have the same setup, except I have the CH pedals as well.

You can map all the keys to the controllers through the AH configuration program.

Let me know when you get them hooked up and I can walk you through my own configuration.  I think it's pretty intuitive, and I actually have buttons to spare.

*coughhoaboutmetoocough* ;)
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute