Author Topic: Tips On 190 D-9?  (Read 359 times)

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
Tips On 190 D-9?
« on: July 26, 2007, 06:43:47 PM »
Hey guys, have been flying the D-9 for the past 3 days and absolutely love it.  I was wondering if I could get some tips on anything and everything so that as I continue to fly it more I can get the most out of it and also realize what I am doing.  Tips on anything would be appreciated, but I would also love it if you guys could go over for a little at least these couple of problems that I seem to have.

-If I have someone on my six, I usually dive you the deck, and if they stay with me I just use the awsome role rate to keep them off balanced.  I can do it all day, and I haven't been shot down yet doing that, but the problem is when I run out of gas lol.  If there are friendlies or I have a wingman, they usually get the guy or at least he breaks off, but if it's a 1v1, and we'll say he's co-alt, co-E what can I do to get him off my tail so that I just don't just keep doing roll, break, roll, break until one of us runs out of gas.

-The next problem I have is with my snap shots.  When I BnZ on someone, I either line them up as I'm diving or as I just flatten out, but most of the time as the fight progresses, it's usually me diving down as they're extending.  Since I have to lead them most of the time I lose sight of them, and either have to break off or fire where I think they'll be and hope I hit.  So, basically how can I set myself up better, or what view positions work well to be able to see where they are.  I don't like not having the gunsight when I change my sights, but I'll get used to it.

Basically the above is my number one problem right now, as I blow lots and lots of kills by not being able to see them or setting up wrong (or my gunnery sucks lol).  If I can't get that fixed then I'll probably have to go K-4 for the 30mm for that split second I know I have a chance.

So yeah, basically any tips on the above questions and anything else you guys know of on how to get the most out of this great ride.

Thanks,
Brian
2sBlind

Offline weazely

• Silver Member
Tips On 190 D-9?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »
I use to fly the Dora alot (even made a film of it) and the most key things i thought wer to use ur roll rate against the enm and keep youre E up at all times!!!!! other than that i think its just hours in the bird make u better and better. Good luck and remember u can always run away :D

Jokester
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX.
Invidia V2 Catless Downpipe
STi Catback
HKS SQV BOV

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Tips On 190 D-9?
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 11:53:52 PM »
This is from a post I did in response to questions about the 190-A5 earlier this week but it applies equally to the D-9:

I fly all of the 190's a lot, especially the A8 but they share similar tendancies.

The roll rates are the best of any aircraft in the game but are primarily, as you've discovered, a defensive asset. Use your roll rate in a defensive flat scissors to force an overshoot. You can also use a rolling scissors but will have to add rudder to create the barrel-roll effect.

Using your roll rate offensively starts defensively. At the speeds you can carry and with your rolling ability you can slam pursuers into the dirt. You can quickly roll to pull out of any situation while your pursuers can't, therefore, any time you can get a pursuer in a dive near the deck you can plant him. Bait him to get his wings out of plane with his ability to pull out, then, at the last second roll and pull up and watch him auger behind you.

In general keep 190's fast. They excel in a B'n'Z roll. They have decent turning ability for about 540 degrees of turning then it's time to extend from the fight. When you are turning do so with finesse to keep the stall buzzer from sounding.

They don't climb well or turn well once slow but they can dive like h*** (at 500 ias they will begin to shudder but you can push beyond this point without too much worry).

They seem best between 10-20K or right on the deck. Stay out of the mid-alt ranges where others can eat you up.

190's are slow to reverse. If you've got a con chasing you plan on at least 3K seperation before you reverse to him. Even at that it will be close. Do not reverse using an Immelman. Use a high or low yo-yo (preferably low) or a split S.

On a typical flight I like to come in high, dive to the deck carrying as much speed as possible, turn a couple of times for a couple of kills, then extend out and climb back to alt while I still have some speed. Rinse and repeat.

Hope that helps. Have fun. 190's are great birds.

And this is from a post I did some time ago in response to shaking enemys in the 190-A5 but again, applies to all 190's:

I fly 190's a lot (mostly the A8 but I do fly them all including the Ta-152) and have for a long time. They are consistantly my best planes (I usually end camp close to 4 K/D in each of them).

First a few observasions on comments made above:
quote:

Originally posted by Wilbus
Never get slow in a 190, and I mean NEVER unless you are very used to it. It is the worst turning fighter in the game and it doesn't have combat flaps. First notch of flaps extends at 170, at that speed you are already dead.

I fully agree with this. Never get slow, never dump flaps. You can turn with a 190 but have do do it gently, with finess. Never turn so tight as to let the stall buzzer to sound. Coming into a fight fast you're good for about 360-540 degrees of turning then it's time to extend and re-gain E.
quote:

Originally posted by Wilbus
The fast roll rate doesn't help that much in AH, it is nice to have but don't expect it to get you out of situations against most planes.

Disagree. See my comments further below.
quote:

Originally posted by red300
you best evasive in a fw is to dive and run on the deck  

Sadly, this is true. Few planes can stay with a 190 that has a head of steam and extending is often the key to survival. When being chased by someone with slightly less speed you'll need to extend 3-3.5K in order to get the nose back around on them.
quote:

Originally posted by MANDO
The big problem with scissors is that any AH plane will roll with you at low speeds with a bit of rudder aid. At speeds above 350 mph, roll is only an advantage against planes with terrible roll rate at these speeds, like the Zeke, even in these cases, high roll rate is only an anecdotycal deffensive advantage in the MA.

Not true. The 190's as a family (except maybe the Ta-152) will out-roll anything else in the game at any speed. And here-in lies the key to survival and success.

The 190's roll SO well that they literally roll on their axis with no lateral or vertical deflection. This makes the inexperienced think that the roll advantage isn't really a useful tool. That simply isn't the case.

If you have altitude go into a dive. At 500 mph indicated the 190's will start to shudder. Not to worry, they are very strong aircraft.

At speeds over 400 many if not most of the planes in the plane-set start to suffer from either compression or loss of roll rate. For those that compress you are home free. They have to either pull out or cut throttle. Either way you gain the E advantage. You can extend in a zoom climb, reverse and repeat.

For those that lose roll rate you can change direction quickly by rolling and pulling back on the yoke leaving them floundering to try to stay with you. Because they lose roll rate they are working AGAINST the aerodynamics of their aircraft trying to force the roll and in doing so they are bleeding E. If they use rudder to help themselves roll they bleed even more E. Again, either way this is to your advantage. Zoom climb, extend, reverse, rinse and repeat.

If you're caught low by someone with equal or more speed, use a flat scissors. The awsome roll rate of the 190 allows you to reverse orientation MUCH more quickly than your opponent. Watch behind you the entire time. You should be able to bring your opponent 180 degrees out of phase within only a few reversals. When you reach this point extend your turn until he's almost back in phase with you then reverse and repeat. One of 2 things will likely happen. He will overshoot and when he does you need to be ready to take advantage of the shot on his six or you will find yourself coming around nose to nose with him for the deflection shot.

If your faster than a close chasing opponent use a rolling scissors. This is more difficult in a 190 than other planes due to the aformentioned tendency of the 190's to roll on thier axis. You'll need to use a little rudder deflection to accomplish this but keep it to a minimum. You don't want to bleed too much speed. Open the arch of your scissors just enough to get your opponent to fly by then take the six or possibly high deflection shot as he does.

These tactics aren't going to save you 100% of the time but no tactic will. They WILL improve your survival rate and your kill rate by using a strength unique to the 190's.

Hope that helps.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
It works!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 09:52:33 AM »
I am the new stick that Bald was giving advice on the 190A-5.  Went to the training arena, practiced BnZ, snap rolls, rolling out of dives, scissors, etc.   Most important though-keeping my speed up and finessing the turns.  I shot down an LA-7 last night using the practiced techniques.  Now I love my plane even more!
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
Tips On 190 D-9?
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 10:21:28 AM »
Thanks so much so far guys.
2sBlind