Author Topic: EAA Airventure pics  (Read 312 times)

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
EAA Airventure pics
« on: July 30, 2007, 12:05:56 AM »
here's a quick photo album I made of the decent pics i took while there Saturday 7/28/07

I know about the crash now, and am truly saddened.

I hope these pics are respectful, and appreciated.

they were all taken on my friends cannon powershot A630, and I had never used it before. all native pics are 3264x2248 and if requested I can email 1 or 2 to you specifically.

some of the shots are static ground stuff and should be self explanatory.

in the air the KC-135 (or whatever model it was, it was labeled 3 different things in the program, schedule, and announcer) was AMAZING! you'd never believe a plane like that could do what it did.

the F22 well, BLEW MY MIND! not only can it out maneuver anything I have ever seen,  it does it with ease. it did a full 360º turn INSIDE the limits of the airfield! :O

to any "nay-sayers" to it's abilities, you can NOT judge until you see it in person. ALL videos I have seen on the net don't even come close to doing it justice. it took less that the runway's length to accelerate form almost "stall" to just below the speed of sound!

oh yeah, did I mention it is the absolutely LOUDEST plane I have ever been in the presence of? we were seated at about 50 yards from show center, and when that thing went full afterburner pulling up or whatever my ears actually hurt for almost an hour afterward!

I also have shots of "Glacier Girl" the P38 flying in the "heritage flight" with the F22 and the F86!

there was an actual U2 spy plane, and a B2 fly over (HOLY SH--! it is HARD to photo that thing!) my shots were terrible, and every time I went to actually watch it myself I thought I would be hit by it because it was so close, yet with a digital camera it is hard to "track". "b203" was the BEST I could do at a close range shot on the 3 passes it did, though I admit I was pissed at myself for missing most of it trying to take a damn picture! :furious

any pics with the "kids" label are my best friend sons Jacob and Owen (jacob being the older one), Wade their father is in a few shots too. "me" is just that me in the shot, though wade is not a great photographer, I am too small in the frame and he makes the camera add weight to me somehow.

I have a few shots of Sean Tucker taxiing, though none in action...

the "in the way 30 min" was some dmn new plane model that ramped up early and sat literally 25 yards from us idling for 30 min.

there's a shot of some skywriting they did, my thumb had to block the sun on one of them.

the Sherman tank was taken because it was actually firing "blanks" right there, 25 years away! they had the whole re-enactors doing mock ground war the whole time of the warbirds show, moving down the show line!

the "wildfire" shot was just that, after the bomb run of the B17 / B24 the pyrotechnics set off a grass fire that went on for a good 20 minutes. it stunk like %$%$.

there are SO many things I did not take a pic of because honestly I wanted to see the action and all that, add to the face my buddies camera isn't the best to work with.

the first pic is from our travails across rural Wisconsin, a detour of the Hwy we were supposed to take to somewhere, and well... which is right????? :rofl :lol

anyway, 4th year running perfect weather, amazing time, and the worst sunburn of my last 10 years. my forehead is actually "leaking" puss from blisters as I type this... my DUMB arse didn't wear a hat in 85º clear skies to protect my face, no sunblock either.

Enjoy and as I said a few pics can be emailed in native resolution as requested.

<>

<> the names of the images are from what I was told at the show. I am NOT an expert and the 001,. 002 and so on, I don't remember what they were, ALSO the spitfire "trainer" was called a spitfire in the warbirds show, but was a 2 person so I guessed.... the seafury was ALSO called that during the show, it may be mistaken indentity. sorry I have forever sucked at actual identification of planes even up close (I don't know exactly what to look for)

<2ND EDIT> I forgot to mention, in the 10K blockbuster bomb pic, my buddy with his 2 sons, well the rolled up print in his hand is a picture of 3 B24's on the Polesti raid which his grandfather on his mothers side was ON! I met him, talked with him at length, and was quite close to him. he lived literally across the street from my friend, and passed away last year. I actually got to meet a survivor of that, and have an appreciation for the B24 many here will never understand. My friend included (he never knew about WWII aviation until a few years ago when I told him about this sim and what I was into)

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z125/JB73Mustaine/
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 12:26:56 AM by JB73 »
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline RAIDER14

• Gold Member
EAA Airventure pics
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 12:17:53 AM »
nice photos:eek: :aok

you should have put your fingers in your ears for the F22:D

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
EAA Airventure pics
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 12:20:15 AM »
Originally posted by RAIDER14
nice photos:eek: :aok

you should have put your fingers in your ears for the F22:D
the kids had earplugs and were STILL covering their ears at the same time! :lol

me.... I'm a man and well toughed it out! :rofl

actually I still don't hear "right" today, but was it the "bomb" pyro's or the F22, or what? lol

Offline Kaw1000

• Silver Member
EAA Airventure pics
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 09:10:52 AM »
:aok  Good pics for a Rookie with a new camera!! Thanks for sharing~
See Rule# 5 on just about every thread!

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
EAA Airventure pics
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 10:12:50 AM »
Nice shots indeed. Thanks very much for sharing them.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline rob53

• Nickel Member
EAA Airventure pics
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 10:18:52 AM »
NICE pic's.......:aok
Thanks for sharing them.

Rob
rob53
The Flying Circus

VWE

EAA Airventure pics
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 12:52:36 PM »
Great pic's, though the one you named KC-10 is actually a C17 and yes it is amazing what that plane can do. It has a fighter style joystick instead of a traditional yoke.

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
EAA Airventure pics
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 01:10:09 PM »
Originally posted by VWE
Great pic's, though the one you named KC-10 is actually a C17 and yes it is amazing what that plane can do. It has a fighter style joystick instead of a traditional yoke.

Yeah that was a C-17 but that plane is an overpriced POS!!!!! The Air Force should have had Lockheed build more C-5's instead of buying that thing. My old man, till this spring, worked at Flight Safety at Altus AFB where they do the C-17 training and did the C-5 training. He told me all sorts of screwed up stuff about that plane. It's not as good as it was supposed to be.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
EAA Airventure pics
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 01:46:16 PM »
Originally posted by VWE
file "kc10" is just the 10th pic in the series, as in kc01, kc02, kc03...

it was labled on a placard as a kc-135, and I forgot what the announcer called it.

VWE

EAA Airventure pics
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 02:32:24 PM »
The KC-135 is a 707 though most have been re-engined like this one with CFM-56 turbofans though you can still see some of the originals that have the Pratt and Whitney TF-33-PW-102 turbofans. The newer engines have about 3,500 pounds thrust more per engine.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 02:38:38 PM by VWE »

Offline wigglepog

• Zinc Member
EAA Airventure pics
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 07:38:03 PM »
Hey, I was there that day.  I can vouch for everything JB73 said about the F-22.  Simply amazing.  It would pass by and the next thing you knew it was coming back over from the other direction faster than seemed possible.  Loudest plane ever heard, yes.  Also a pretty unique sound (to my ears anyway).  I thought the B2 was the coolest looking thing to see in the air.  Great day!    They also had a Yak (9, i think), first time I'd ever seen one in R/L.  Wish I'd brought my field recorder.

zes