Author Topic: Skuzzy!!!and other map makers.  (Read 816 times)

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Skuzzy!!!and other map makers.
« on: April 05, 2008, 11:21:29 PM »
OK, My tiles are almost all done, with the exception of River tiles terr0007 thru terr0010 and the onyl tiles associated with them.

My question is......what if any, do these 4 tiles do to the terrain? I noticed they don't aline to each other..
Meaning, the river doesn't match up to the river on any of the other river tiles.

Do these river tiles act as if they are water?
Do they need to be placed in the map where you place a river?

If not, can i use these as other tiles? EXAMPLE: Using tile terr0007 as a new shore line tile?
Or as another land tile within the map?

I always look in the screen shot-films message board and have viewed alot of screenies and films and have noticed AH looks like a checkered board. The old TE we had this problem, and there were ways around this if you got creative with the tiles. The new TE with it's rotating tiles has an advantage but I still see it has problems. It breaks up the moire pattern when using alot of the same tiles in a row, BUT it has it's disadvantage by making the transition between tiles alot smaller and more "boxy".

Some of you may know me from years ago, some may not, I always think out side the box. I have found kinda away around this "boxyness" I made all my tiles independently from each other. I made all my farm tiles, then all my rock tile, then my grass tiles, and althou they looked good in the map all rotated they looked very much like a chess board when ALL the tiles were put in the map. So off to the drawing board again.

I made my farm,grass,snow,forest and water tiles... then used the swamp tiles as additional transitional tiles to break up the chess board look of the map...Additional transitional  has a ring to it...let me explain...

I used terr0002 and made the tile to closely match the farm tiles,, then terr0102 to match my forest tiles, and terr0202 to match the grass tiles... this seam to break up the chess board look of the map and helps blend all the tiles together.

Which leaves me to ask how the river tile work.

NUTTZ

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Re: Skuzzy!!!and other map makers.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 12:04:20 AM »
The river tiles should be placed manually and use the subset function to make them line up. The water does act like water in these tiles.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 07:16:48 AM »
Excellent idea for breaking up the chess board.  Good thinking.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 07:55:26 AM »
That is a good idea, but how do you place all tiles on a ma size terrain?256x256 miles is not a small area.Unless i'm missing something out?

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 02:30:35 PM »
That is a good idea, but how do you place all tiles on a ma size terrain?256x256 miles is not a small area.Unless i'm missing something out?

I've placed alot of the tiles manually any way, I think if you want the map to look good you have to manually place the tiles.
Alot of work, yes  but worth it in the end.

NUTTZ

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 06:34:09 AM »
I think Nuttz already sees what I said ages ago and everyone else thought I was Nuts!  :lol

We actually have 24 tiles to work with (not including river tiles). It just takes good texture planning. And pain in the butt tile placement. I showed some rough examples, but I don't have the time to perfect it. Nuttz seems to be well on the way to having it perfected already.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 06:38:26 AM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.