Author Topic: Computer crash during gameplay  (Read 316 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Computer crash during gameplay
« on: July 15, 2007, 03:21:48 PM »
Ok I think Ive mentioned this once before.
Occasionally when playing the game  my machine will suddenly shut down for no apparent reason.
Normally I just blow it out make sure its clean and dust free whether it needs it or not.

But there would be spans of months when this wouldnt happen.

Recently this has become much more frequent. as in Every night.

If you check my Dicsos lately. each one has been due to Computer shutting down on its own.

First I figured it was dust so I cleaned it out real good.

But to no avail.

It only happens when Im playing the game.
I can leave the machine on for days. Surfing the web. watching Youtube. etc and nothing. and no problems
But during gameplay it will shut down.

Im thinking either PSU or Graphic card perhaps.

Any thoughts?
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline 0thehero

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.esc-services.com
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 03:35:08 PM »
What errors are being logged in your System section of the Event Viewer?

Spontaneous reboots/shutdowns are generally PSU issues.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 04:48:51 PM »
Originally posted by 0thehero
What errors are being logged in your System section of the Event Viewer?

Spontaneous reboots/shutdowns are generally PSU issues.

Funny thing is I keep checking.
None.

It shows everything starting up again when I reboot. But no errors

The only reason why I thinking MAYBE the Video card is it only happens when Im playing the game.

And the only reason I hav for soe doubt of it beng the PSU.
Is if it were the PSU it would be happening all the time reguardless of if I were playing the game or not.

BTW by "The game" I mean AH

Beleive it or not Aces High is the only game I play LOL
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 04:54:30 PM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Avaro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 04:59:51 PM »
Sounds like overheating..
Das Muppets

Offline 0thehero

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.esc-services.com
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 08:00:54 PM »
Is if it were the PSU it would be happening all the time reguardless of if I were playing the game or not.

Actually, your GPU will draw more current when doing 3D graphics, so if you have a weak and/or dying unit, that's a good indication.

Check your molex connections to your optical and hard drives.

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 06:58:56 AM »
Overheating, take the side panel off of the box and play the game.. also check to make sure all fans are spinning (and fast) during game play.

AH is CPU intensive, and will create a lot of heat relative to anything else you do.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 07:45:18 AM »
Are you running speedfan or equivilent to monitor cpu, case, hd temps while in AH?

I was getting the same thing until I discovered the problem.

My Ati 9600 Video card had just a hefty heat sink, no fan. But after fighting with it for a couple weeks decided to pull it out and take a look. On closer examination I see a small line of pink crap under the heat sink.

So I demount the heat sink, carefully remove it and sure enough, there is the culprit. Instead of a good thermal grease like Artic Silver, they used the same pink crap they used to ship CPU's with. It looks like a thin layer of pink bubble gum. After about 18 months it cooks solid, and doesn't conduct heat like it used to.

Get out the lighter fluid, q-tips, clean both sides VERY CAREFULLY!
Till all the pink crap is gone. Then I found a chipset fan off an old motherboard, modded it to fit on the heatsink. Reassembled with just a dab of Artic Silver II. Wired up the fan and hey presto.

No more graphics heat problems. Then while I was at it I pulled the CPU cooler, washed & cleaned it as well. As well as removed all dust from the case fans, and power supply fans.

Put it all back together, everything runs cool and is happy with no problems.
75 degree room temps has the CPU around 39 - 40 C under light load. Up to 44-45 C flying AH or playing Stalker.

If the room temp goes above 75 take the case cover off and put a 8 - 10 inch fat blowing directly at the Video card/CPU. You'll be amazed at the temp difference.

Offline Atoon

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 11:37:23 AM »
I started having intermittant CPU shutdowns as well, but Mine seem to be different. Mine shuts off in & out of game, and my system runs very cool with the additional fans I had added(usually between 28 & 35 degrees celcious).

I have noticed certain keys on keyboard not working when I type them, as in: I'll think of a sentance & type a few words, then check my work & realize some of my words are missing letters, try to go
Thanx for addressing the signature issue FAIRLY, I am morally aloud to patronize your business again. I am Anton & Uknome, Current game-ID Anton1.   *-Brown Nosers STINK!-*

Offline Atoon

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 11:52:44 AM »
Originally posted by Atoon
I started having intermittant CPU shutdowns as well, but Mine seem to be different. Mine shuts off in & out of game, and my system runs very cool with the additional fans I had added(usually between 28 & 35 degrees celcious).

I have noticed certain keys on keyboard not working when I type them, as in: I'll think of a sentance & type a few words, then check my work & realize some of my words are missing letters, try to go

It shut down as I types the above-  On diff puter now

So I realize im missing letters in words, try to go back & fix, a few keystrokes later, the system completely shuts down, when I reboot there aren't any error messages. It does this in game, on boards or just whenever-

It is a fairly new keyboard, but not as new as the problem
Thanx for addressing the signature issue FAIRLY, I am morally aloud to patronize your business again. I am Anton & Uknome, Current game-ID Anton1.   *-Brown Nosers STINK!-*

Offline Atoon

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 12:15:58 PM »
problem stopped on it's own for about 3 weeks, then came back on its own, I have made no changes. I dont have to be in any program, to test this I just started typing from desktop & sure enuff- shut down.  

Intermittant keyboard problem? anyone?

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 05:22:22 PM »
Originally posted by Ghosth
Get out the lighter fluid, q-tips, clean both sides VERY CAREFULLY!
Till all the pink crap is gone. Then I found a chipset fan off an old motherboard, modded it to fit on the heatsink. Reassembled with just a dab of Artic Silver II. Wired up the fan and hey presto.

Hi.  Rubbing Alcohol works just fine.  In all the years of cleaning any type of computer component (either removing therman paste or what not) have I ever heard of using lighter fluid.  It's as logical as cleaning rusty parts with gasoline.  It just stinks, terribly.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 05:23:21 PM »
I would check in the BIOS what your voltages are reading from the PSU.  Post what you find.  Just remember, there are a lot of problems that have similar causes -> overheating, bad voltages, bad sectors etc etc etc.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 02:40:03 AM »
Lighter fluid is kerosene. Eats just about any sticky stuff off of anything. Just make sure to get it all off afterwards. :D
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2007, 09:26:54 AM »
Dred,

It's coming up on a 2 weeks since your last post on this one.

Did you discover the culprit?