Author Topic: warping & ho's  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
warping & ho's
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 01:27:53 PM »
I've always spelled it the same way as Morpheus - Vultching.    It just...................fits.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
warping & ho's
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 02:05:44 PM »
Originally posted by Rich46yo
I taxi to get the feel of the airplane, and actually was going to the re'arm deck instead of a hangar.

I just finished a Looong run with JU's, hit a refinery, made it all the way back to landing run, 'bout 3 mins out at 1,000'. I got jumped by a bogie, "with my own team fighters taking off all around me btw:cry " and we had us a honorable shootout and both died. Now a warrior like that I can respect.

So from now on I'll just end sortie right when I stop. I thought hosing the runway was against the rules and it was kinda pimpy.

Thanks for the responses.

I don't know, a lot of the actual gun cam footage from WWII was P38's and P51's and P47's straffing German aircraft on the ground.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
warping & ho's
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2007, 03:58:25 PM »
Originally posted by Carwash

About the HO's.   Get used to it.  Learn to avoid HO's.  It is common practice in the MA.  I assume that every LA7 and Niki pilot I see will try to HO me.  Better be ready.

whelp......i'm getting better at avoiding them....i used to be ablew to always dive under them, and thought they couldn't get a shot that way......seems that about 2/3 of the time, they still manage to get their shot now....even if i use a little rudder...
i know it's a tactic that a lot use in MA, but for gods sake......these guys had enough alt and speed they didn't NEED to do it...they most likely could've had an awsome fight, and got some adrenneline pumping...or is that a bad thing?:D
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Re: warping & ho's
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2007, 04:05:25 PM »
Originally posted by tedrbr
Not arena population causing the problem.

Like Fugitive sez, HO"s are much more common during summertime squeaker season.  If you see a cannon or .50 cal heavy bird, there is a very good chance you will see a HO.  Sometimes it can be avoided, depending on the plane and energy states each has..... but sometimes you leave yourself vulnerable to the other guy by trying to avoid it.  If a total furball, many will shoot at whatever passes in front of them...... that's a furball, so complaints about a HO in a furball leave me unmoved.

1)in a furball, i rarely complain about the ho....i think it's more of a quick snap shot in the furballs........i was the ones i was complaining about weren't in furballs.....although these guys WERE vulching the runway, so i upped another field and was co-alt to them....and probably only co-e too, as they seemed to be keeping their speed well.....

Warping is most often a connection problem between the client and the server.  Most often the "connection" problem resides on the client side machine as they are low of system resources or have any number of garbage running in the background, or multiple computers sharing a broadband connection.

2)this i wasn't sure about...like i said, i saw a mossie do a square pattern....someone called him a "chord puller?"

Things like malware, spyware, keyloggers, BitTorrent, software firewalls, automatic downloads, or a new computer running resource hogging Vista, can all effect client side connections.   Running a minimal system over a dial-up connection with a noisey line can cause warps and discos.  

If the other guy has very little in graphic memory and you saddle up and open up with a Jug's 8 x .50's with tracers on, the graphics can overwhelm the other guy's processors.... instant warp.  

3)this i understand, and have mentioned in the past...but i've never seen so many warping as i did last night.........

Few enough people know enough about their systems to keep them clean and running well.  With Vista use becoming more widespread among new users (and it being a resource nightmare), I expect problems in online gaming to only increase for gamers.

4)o goody!

thanks....is a nice informative reply sir!
<>

john
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Kami

• Zinc Member
warping & ho's
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2007, 05:27:25 PM »
I hear everyone say that "cable pullers" are just myths in this game, but sometimes I wonder.  I knew in my old game there were many ways to lag your connection, to the point that anti-lag was a feature needed to smooth out connections between clients.  Things as simple as using IM at key moments, flooding server with certain commands, running scanning software in the background connected to a hot key to turn it on and off.  I was actually really surprised when I came to this community to find that apparently no one does this.  I'm glad that it is not rampant here.  It appears to me that the server will guess where  a client is going and draw them there, then when the server gets correct info from the client then the server redraws where the client says it is (hence warping on all other clients screens).  Shouldn't it punish the bad connection for the good of the majority and instead if no packet info, draw where the server thinks the client is going, and when the clients connection picks back up, making the client warp to where the server feels it should be.  Then no warping on most client front ends, just the front end of the badly connected client.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
warping & ho's
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2007, 05:49:22 PM »
If you ever see me warping in any arenas I appologize. My dial-up has broke on me and they don'y wanna fix it for us so im forced to use a satelite connection.

Offline TwentyFo

• Silver Member
warping & ho's
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2007, 06:17:26 PM »
Lag has become more of an issue in this game as more people start playing. Now I know 99% of the people that have had warping issues are due strictly to connection issues. The other 1% I would contribute to cheating. For example, the other day when I was on someones 6 they all of a sudden started warping really terrible. I've seen this many times before in Madden, SoCom, and Splinter Cell. For gamers outside the AH community, the most common conclusion to warping when in trouble can be contributed to hitting the standby switch. This temporarily discos the computer from the internet for a few seconds at a time. Here is a picture of a very common cable modem (Motorola Surfboard) with a standby switch on top of it.

http://www.simplehelp.net/images/cable_modems/motorola_sb5100.gif

The next level of cheaters have created what is called a 'Lag Switch'. Lag switches are devices specifically made for online cheating. They can be made with a simple light switch, wire stripper, and a screw driver.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=520797
http://www.cheap-lag-switches.com/

Now I hate to address this issue, but I think it is important to know what to look for when it comes to cheating. The more educated we are about what people are doing to get an unfair advantage, the more likely we can create a fair environment for all.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 06:22:11 PM by TwentyFo »
XO ***THE LYNCHMOB***

Offline -SR-

• Copper Member
warping & ho's
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2007, 06:29:19 PM »
In

-SR-:)

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
warping & ho's
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2007, 06:39:22 PM »
Originally posted by TwentyFo
Lag has become more of an issue in this game as more people start playing. Now I know 99% of the people that have had warping issues are due strictly to connection issues. The other 1% I would contribute to cheating. For example, the other day when I was on someones 6 they all of a sudden started warping really terrible. I've seen this many times before in Madden, SoCom, and Splinter Cell. For gamers outside the AH community, the most common conclusion to warping when in trouble can be contributed to hitting the standby switch. This temporarily discos the computer from the internet for a few seconds at a time. Here is a picture of a very common cable modem (Motorola Surfboard) with a standby switch on top of it.

The next level of cheaters have created what is called a 'Lag Switch'. Lag switches are devices specifically made for online cheating. They can be made with a simple light switch, wire stripper, and a screw driver.

Now I hate to address this issue, but I think it is important to know what to look for when it comes to cheating. The more educated we are about what people are doing to get an unfair advantage, the more likely we can create a fair environment for all.

For some reason I feel pwnage coming.......

:noid
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline Jaccpot

• Zinc Member
warping & ho's
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2007, 06:55:36 PM »
HO's is a part of dogfighting and part of the game, avoid them. A HO can only HO a HO:confused:  . If i was u i get used to it. But can understand if u cant.

Warping on the other hand is Simply CHEATING and is for the scared and unskilled, and i hope AH can do somthing about it.
=MOST WANTED=
--BlacJac--
ROOKLAND*AIR*FORCE

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
warping & ho's
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2007, 07:37:15 PM »
Originally posted by TwentyFo

Any kind of info displayed like this is reason for you to be cut off from the boards (PNG) Any talk of "cheating is frowned upon by HTC. What you said my be a problem in other games, but it is taken very seriously by HTC and they go to very great lenghts to catch anyone cheating and they are baned from the game, forever!

Warping when you close on someones "6" is easily explained by a weak computer. new sounds are added, better detailed pictures of the planes are lloaded and so on. If your computer is not up to the task of rendering all of these things, it will studder and look like a warp.  Again, the internet gets trashed as more and more folks log on and check out the latest "you-tube" video, so those time when more people are likely to be doing this stuff.... like a Sunday night, or the summer months when it is nothing but reruns on, are more likely to have poor connections to the servers.

If you think some one is cheating, film it and send the info to HTC, don't post it here on the boards, it can only cause grief.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
warping & ho's
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2007, 07:38:28 PM »
So how long will our connection to the server stay alive after the LAG switch is engaged? We have to initially supply a password to a challenge and reponse program to gain a connection to the game server. If you disconnect yourslef dosen't the server have a preaty short polling period to close out disconnected ports along with showing the Host Disconnected GUI we get when we disco?

I'm interesed because I have 3 hops to the server which some times due to heavy traffic will start loosing 75-100% on packetts. These are the same nights I have "rubber bulletitous", hear non stop hoards of squeekers and see micro warps in most of the cons I chase.

So are you sitting there rapidly tapping the switch or do you just flip it on/off once and that's enough to disrupt your client to client session with the con chasing you?

Seems like way too much work to avoid getting your cartoon booty stomped in an unlimited life game....... :lol :rolleyes: :rofl
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
warping & ho's
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2007, 07:53:08 PM »
Cheats happen in online gaming.  Nature of the beast that some people have to do anything in their power to give them the edge their own abilities cannot.

You should certainly be able to discuss the matter honestly and rationally.  By the same tolken, too many people point to pilots warping in AHII as "cheaters"..... probably based on bad experiences in other games..... but in reality, and partially due to the intentionally low system requirements of this game and the corresponding low end machines in the game, they are connection, resource, and hardware issues at fault.  

Have I've seen online antics that could have been deliberate?  Sure.  But, I always give the benefit of the doubt.  I may send a PM if I can identify the other guy (warping, check connection or look for malware on your system).  If I see a consistent trend, I'll film it and submit the film.  Then I'm done with it.  You should never point to another player and accuse them of cheating..... film it, submit it with your observations and thoughts, and let it go.  

Now rampant cheating can occur in most games, and the folks running the game and playing it are the only ones around to police it.  I quit playing BF2 because of the excessive cheats and use of aimbots and such in that particular game.  It got ridiculous (as did team run servers which skewed all things to the team members' favor like weapon unlocks for only one side).

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
warping & ho's
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2007, 08:25:07 PM »
See warpers make me so mad.... and mainly when u r right on there butt and about to fire and they warp behind u or 5k above u ...... but its not always there fault... the ppl i think should be murdered and a stick
 shoved up there butt r the people that do it on purpose.. :D
of course im gonna still fly AH2 cause its the best WW2 flight sim out there.... but the cheaters grrr

:mad:

-BigBOB
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 08:27:15 PM by redman555 »
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline TwentyFo

• Silver Member
warping & ho's
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2007, 12:56:23 AM »
Originally posted by The Fugitive
Any kind of info displayed like this is reason for you to be cut off from the boards (PNG) Any talk of "cheating is frowned upon by HTC. What you said my be a problem in other games, but it is taken very seriously by HTC and they go to very great lenghts to catch anyone cheating and they are baned from the game, forever!

I was just trying to inform people what others do to gain an unfair advantage. To think this is not happening is ridiculous. Cheaters are going to cheat no matter what. My intention was to educate what to look for when players intentionally lag. AH community is one of the most honest online gaming communities I've ever been a part of. I knew what I typed would be questioned, but I think it is necessary.
XO ***THE LYNCHMOB***