Author Topic: AH fireball trails  (Read 657 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
AH fireball trails
« on: August 01, 2007, 02:56:59 PM »
Not a bug report, since I don't know if it is one. Not a hardware post because I don't know if it's hardware related (could be game code could be software, could be hardware, who knows?!?!). I'm putting this in the main forum because I want to ask other players if any of them experience it as well. Later, if I find any info out, I will post in either bug or hardware forums.

When you're attacking a set of bombers and have more than 1 of them on fire, do you ONLY see one fireball trail? Do the others disappear?

They do for me. They have for me since fireballs were introduced. Rarely I'll see 2 fire trails on the same plane, but almost never will I see fire on the drones when the lead is on fire.

Often it kicks in and out, periodically. It's done this across several PC upgrades, so some of the hardware has changed along the way.

Does anybody else have this problem? It seems that SOME folks (on vox range in game) can tell the drones are on fire, because I've had to ask on range if they were all on fire and others have said "yes" before. Am I alone in this issue?

If you HAVE experienced this, have you made any observations about what might be causing it?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
AH fireball trails
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 03:03:17 PM »
I do see the same. Sometimes there a two firetrails, sometimes the second one seems to kick in 10-30 seconds later, or sputtering intermittendly.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
AH fireball trails
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 03:08:01 PM »
I too see the 2nd fire trail sputter off/on.

Also bombers on fire = HUGE FPS drop (for me anyway).

Anyone else?
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
AH fireball trails
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 03:11:53 PM »
I usually never survive long enough to do that type of damage, and if I do survive, my windshield is covered with oil (and blood) so I can't see anyways.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline FBplmmr

• Silver Member
AH fireball trails
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 03:26:11 PM »
fires really wreck my frame rate as well.

both bombers and building fires have this effect.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
AH fireball trails
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 04:03:12 PM »
Yup, same here with regard to fire rendering and dramatic fps drop. I have a pretty beefy machine too..
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
AH fireball trails
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 04:04:47 PM »
Not counting FPS drop, just talking about the fireballs disappearing/reappearing. Separate from the FPS drop, do you see multiple trailes?

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
AH fireball trails
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 04:27:22 PM »
Sometimes I see a delayed reaction on multiple fireballs, especially on the drones.  Wastes alot of ammo at times when it does happen.
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone

Offline TalonX

• Silver Member
Never noticed...
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 05:26:41 PM »
I dont get a FR drop with the buff on fire...  Since I like to watch them FRY, I don't usually kill the next one until the last one is gone, I guess.

I have killed many 3 plane formations and can't recall seeing two burning at once.

Obviously, I need to do some experiments.

Buffs - beware :)
-TalonX

Forgotten, but back in the game.  :)

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
AH fireball trails
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 06:04:28 PM »
I get the sputtering fireball effect... no effect on FR

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
AH fireball trails
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 07:21:26 PM »
I get steady fires, never seen more than two though. No frame rate hit from fires but a massive one from oil/fuel trails.

asw
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
AH fireball trails
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 10:39:11 PM »
I have alrdy got entire bomber formations burning on both wings.  Yes they sometimes sputter and sometimes they disappear.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
AH fireball trails
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 02:42:15 AM »
I get a large frame rate hit too, my PC is nothing special, assumed it was only me which this happened to.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
Re: AH fireball trails
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 06:06:56 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Not a bug report, since I don't know if it is one. Not a hardware post because I don't know if it's hardware related (could be game code could be software, could be hardware, who knows?!?!). I'm putting this in the main forum because I want to ask other players if any of them experience it as well. Later, if I find any info out, I will post in either bug or hardware forums.

When you're attacking a set of bombers and have more than 1 of them on fire, do you ONLY see one fireball trail? Do the others disappear?

They do for me. They have for me since fireballs were introduced. Rarely I'll see 2 fire trails on the same plane, but almost never will I see fire on the drones when the lead is on fire.

Often it kicks in and out, periodically. It's done this across several PC upgrades, so some of the hardware has changed along the way.

Does anybody else have this problem? It seems that SOME folks (on vox range in game) can tell the drones are on fire, because I've had to ask on range if they were all on fire and others have said "yes" before. Am I alone in this issue?

If you HAVE experienced this, have you made any observations about what might be causing it?

I to have similar happenings with regard to knowing if the drone is on fire BUT my work around is to look at the drone from the rear quarter of my plane.  Seems to be able to see the fires from that perspective.  For me anyways.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
AH fireball trails
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 08:37:14 AM »
Hrm.. it's sounding more like a code issue than a hardware one.

Maybe it's tied to distance and LOD (rear quarter usually means you've pulled away a bit)?