Author Topic: Anyone playing Forza Motorsport 2 on Xbox?  (Read 575 times)

Offline 68Hawk

• Silver Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
Anyone playing Forza Motorsport 2 on Xbox?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 01:25:51 PM »
Yeah but console games have a limited control set, usually have a limited resolution given that they're designed for a TV (not sure if this is changing or not now as I don't waste time with them), and generally lack the depth of gameplay that real gamers seek.

Elder Scrolls 4 is a good example of a PC title that tries to go Xbox, and while accomplishing it, nerfs a really good game in the process.  The GUI was so shoddy on that, and mostly because they designed it to be used with a controller's direction buttons, not a mouse.

Ever played CounterStrike?  Ever played it on console?
No you haven't.  That's barely even the same game.

C&C was the same way.

Sports games do tend to work better on a console.  If you enjoy those, more power to you.  

Ever played GTA for PC?  It did actually start out as a PC title.  Even San Andreas was way better on PC.
68th Lightning Lancers
Fear the reaper no more fear the Lancers!
http://www.68thlightninglancers.net

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 02:29:37 PM »
I play my Xbox360 games on my 52" TV in 1080i, looks killer. Oh, and I play AH on my TV too :D

68Hawk, Although I agree that GT, PGR1 to 3, NFS whatever are rather arcadish, Forza 2 is actually pretty good when it comes to physics. It gotd the basics such as independent wheel suspension, independent shocks/struts travel accoring to damper/rebound settings, wheel "grip" according to camber/caster settings.

A good example would be Sebring, coming into the Sunset bend, you can ear the car runing from one concreete slab to the other, and you feel the lost of traction when the car does so.

You actually have fun flirting with the car's limit, inducing a slight oversteer in turn entry with a rear engine car, or controlling torque understeer in your 400HP civic.

As you, I play only realistic wanabee sims, LFS or the GTR2/RACE/GTL series, same for flight sims. I want to feel what I'm feeling when I'm pushing my firebird around the corners, and I do.

When it comes to Forza, it's as good as it gets for consoles, and dam close of PC sims, but how would you know? You haven't played it.:lol
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 02:43:30 PM »
TxDad & I caved & just purchased 360 for our sons. I'm sure they'll be happy about it. They're just nuts about Halo.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 03:59:31 PM »
i have forza, but i had to get the microsoft wheel for it to become fun. using a controller is just impossible with that game because of the fine movements it requires. the game's graphics are pretty good but the hook is more the realism factor. before knocking it hawk i'd give it a try. plus you mentioned a lot of ports in your argument... but games like rainbow6 vegas and graw smoke their pc counterparts. so it goes both ways. some games are better on pc, some better on consoles.

frenchy if you wanna race sometime my xbl tag is moose 98!
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline Jebus

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2007, 04:03:34 PM »
I think fortza is one of the better games released on xbox 360.

Havent played online yet

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2007, 04:08:40 PM »
I play....

you want some of my D class Cuda...  with appropriate WWII shark mouth (more cuda mouth actually) motiff...

I will sell the cuda at a discounted rate to AHers...  (even unlocked)

Having alot of fun with the D - C class game....  (audi v8 is just too nice...)(I always wanted a GNX Regal...  heh)

the cars at those levels are kind of like early war arena each with strengths + weakness..  

Once you get A level and higher the cars IMO drive too well...

Get yourself a projector and the racing wheel and you have the best racing simulator ever....

Turismo isn't even close..

DoctorYo

Offline 68Hawk

• Silver Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2007, 10:36:57 PM »
Nope, haven't played Forza and don't think I will.  Glad to hear its a good game.

What I said was, "Gaming never EVER reaches the same standard with console. It's just not possible."

If someone makes a substandard PC game that doesn't concern me either.  There are plenty of crappy PC games out there.  Too many really.  

You guys are right, some games do lend themselves better to console.  Driving games are one type, as they don't typically require too many controls.    Sports games are typically another.  

Show me a console flight sim thats actually a sim and not an arcade game and I might be impressed.  Show me a FPS that works better on a console than its PC version and I might also be impressed.  Even better, show me a FPS that wasn't bastardized in the process of conversion.  There are a couple examples of FPS that are semi-decent on a console, but they still don't hold up to their PC counterparts.  

Gaming comes down to whatever is fun for you, and whatever you enjoy spending your time on.  Great to hear you guys like xbox.  I like to spend my time more meaningfully (admittedly as I consider it).

Forgive my non-console ignorance, but is there one of those systems that allows you to play on internet servers without paying to their subscription service?  I could be wrong about this, but I could swear I heard from console users that you can't just plug it in and find a server, gotta pay microsoft.  Please correct me if this isn't the case.
68th Lightning Lancers

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2007, 10:40:01 AM »
For 360, you gotta pay the $60 per 13 month Microsoft Live fee, which to me is well worth the cost.

I don't agree with you that gaming reaches a higher standard on PCs. In fact, I think the opposite is true. Up until now (with downloadable content on all 3 new consoles), you couldn't update a game once you released it on a console, so it had to meet much higher Q&A. On the contrary more often then not PC games are released prematurely and need to be patched. The publisher forces the developer to throw an unfinished product on the market with the idea that they'll fix the major bugs later. Silent Hunter 4 is a great example of this; released with major issues, which it took 3 patches to address, and now Ubisoft is cutting ties with the whole project and there will be no more bugfixes. The game isn't even 5 months old.

Time will tell if console games start doing the same crap, but so far, so good. Oh, and R6 Vegas 360 absolutely smokes it's PC counterpart.
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2007, 06:26:10 PM »
Anyway, for the ones that play FM2, I was thinking of donating this Zonda that I painted.

I made only 13, donated a couple in contests, and sold a couple. My best sell was $50 millions.

Anyone interested?
Dat jugs bro.

------------------------

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2007, 07:50:10 PM »
Nice work Frenchy.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2007, 09:25:08 AM »
whoever wants one, I'll donate #12/13.:)
Dat jugs bro.

------------------------

Offline 68Hawk

• Silver Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2007, 04:24:32 PM »
Originally posted by moose
The publisher forces the developer to throw an unfinished product on the market with the idea that they'll fix the major bugs later.

That is a good point.  It happens far too often now a days.

Remember that a console is a boxed and immutable system(mostly, I know that there are now exceptions with the latest Gen).  PCs are almost always different to some degree.  This makes it harder to put out a stable product.  It is true though that many PC developers get way too lazy/mopneygrubbing.  This goes along with my earlier comment on substandard software.  I'm talking about the bar, not people shooting below it.

Patching used to be less of a bandaid and more of an add on.  Its good that they can now add content to console games, and can patch small bugs that only come up in stress testing.  I fear that you might be right that the laziness trend will spread to Console too.  Especially with microsoft cranking out games like they're sausages.  I've never seen a microsoft game that didn't fall short somewhere, and usually in an inexcusable manner (again imho).

Why doesn't Xbox allow you to connect to the internet and just find servers?  If you already pay for the internet, you should be able to find servers.  Is it possible to do some kind of direct IP connection and bypass their subscription service?  I hear that they actually do operate the hosting, so at least thats something worth paying for, but I still see it as a sad development in gaming.  Many server based games have at least some official public servers that they operate themselves.  If an Xbox is as PC system oriented as I hear people say, you should be able to host a game on your PC and connect to it on an Xbox.  

But then microsoft wouldn't be able to nickel and dime us, would they?
68th Lightning Lancers

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2007, 04:37:58 PM »
I might get my first Console for the upcoming winter, PC games really dont hold my interest for more then 15-20 mins nowadays, was sometime ago that i actually played anything.

I really feel that the PC game development have stagnated alot, i havent seen anything new in anwhile, and that was so great back in the days, when almost every new game was revolutionary in some aspect. And im not talking about eye candy. Perhaps we got an bit spoiled by some great PC gaming years, wich may not come again. Now the PC games have the features we dreamt of 10 years ago. And theres nothing to look forward too or get overly exited about anymore.

The PC game market will survive tough, my friends son always chooses to play on his PC over his Console.

Ill probably get an PS3 tough.
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2007, 03:32:03 PM »
Frenchy you have a PM.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2007, 05:05:10 PM »
Old School PMD in xlive, send a friend request Bronk, I'll sell u a limited edition Zonda for 10K. I have to sell it, rather than gift it becuase I want the paintjob to remain locked.
Dat jugs bro.

------------------------