Author Topic: Radar for PT's  (Read 611 times)

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Radar for PT's
« on: August 05, 2007, 10:12:38 PM »
This probly won't be put into the game but I just have to throw this out there. How about the PT Boats have a small radar range of about 10 miles? This way you could set up a PT inbetween a base and the cv so you get an early warning of incoming enemy bombers to sink the cv. Someone said late in the war PT's were equiped with radar and the PT does have a small radar tower on it.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Radar for PT's
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 07:42:05 AM »
Yes

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Radar for PT's
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 09:15:53 AM »
PTs were equipped with ship-detecting radar, not airborne intercept radar.

From memory, it was for locating targets or navitating shorelines. I don't even know if it could pick up aircraft.

Offline Nangleator

• Zinc Member
Radar for PT's
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 09:22:19 AM »
Well, even if the wartime PT's didn't have radar that could detect aircraft, they certainly had a few sets of Mk. 1 Eyeballs that could see for 10 miles.  With binocs.

A 10 mile radar range for PT's would effectively simulate that.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Radar for PT's
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 09:45:06 AM »
So would a guy sitting in the PT boat, using his Mk.I eyeballs, and reporting on country/squad channel.

You don't need to code in more radar circles, otherwise EVERY plane EVERYWHERE would have this, even if they were 5 sectors behind enemy lines.

See how that works? You want visual spotting, then spot them. Visually.

:aok

Offline Nangleator

• Zinc Member
Radar for PT's
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 11:57:35 AM »
Pilots are a bit busy, and can't be expected to be reporting sightings to everyone.

A PT captain would have a responsibility to report to his fleet commander.

And just using eyes in game tells you a guy is 6k yards or less away, or somewhere between 6k yards and a million miles away.  A guy in a boat would have enough presence of mind to be more accurate than that.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Radar for PT's
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 12:06:48 PM »
Krusty:

Well, if they want radar give them radar.

That only detects other PT boats. :aok
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Radar for PT's
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 06:03:23 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
You want visual spotting, then spot them. Visually.

:aok

but I have bad vision :)

Offline Tiger

• Nickel Member
Radar for PT's
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 12:25:08 PM »
how about we just increase the current radar ranges.

Offline MWL

• Nickel Member
Radar for PT's
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 01:33:28 AM »
Greetings,

I am soooo not an expert, or even well informed, on naval operations in WWII.  However, I do think the DD screen was a bit further out than reflected.  In addition, the primary roles of the screen was to detect subs and airplanes to protect the CV.  Maybe the radar diameter of the CV groups could be increased?

Let the beating begin.

Regards,

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
Radar for PT's
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 07:54:49 AM »
The PT boat in the game looks like an 80 foot Elco boat. The were used late in the war and were fitted with an SO-3 radar. The SO-3 was adapted from the SCR-517A aircraft radar. I couldn't find any range information but the SCR was designed and used to find aircraft. I have a really good book "U.S. Small Combatants" by Norman Friedman has all kinds of details.
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Tiger

• Nickel Member
Radar for PT's
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 12:50:47 PM »
Originally posted by MWL
Greetings,

I am soooo not an expert, or even well informed, on naval operations in WWII.  However, I do think the DD screen was a bit further out than reflected.  In addition, the primary roles of the screen was to detect subs and airplanes to protect the CV.  Maybe the radar diameter of the CV groups could be increased?

Let the beating begin.

Regards,

I agree, move the DD's out a little wider and up the radar range.  This atleast gives you a fighting chance against the Lancstukas