Author Topic: Ship & Shore Guns  (Read 560 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Ship & Shore Guns
« on: August 06, 2007, 08:41:35 AM »
I admit I don't do much of this but given that sometimes they are the only targets around I guess I need to learn more about it.

So, how do you range a target? I'm somewhat familar with the zooming in on the map and clicking for azimuth and range for towns and airfields.

How do you range a fleet offshore? How do you range the shore battery from the fleet?

Tips and tricks anyone?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
best guess
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 09:08:05 AM »
It's all trial and error.  Your best guess, based on position of gun and target.  Boat speed is a constant, at 25 MPH or 28.75 knots.  Firing at the extreme range gives you a flight time of the round, say 30 seconds.  The target traveling over 1099 feet in that time.  Plus reload time of 20 seconds.  That only allows you to adjust fire once ever 45 seconds or so.  Not easy, so it’s your best guess.

The ranging optics are less then desirable in the game.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Ship & Shore Guns
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 09:27:00 AM »
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Ship & Shore Guns
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 10:56:10 AM »
Thanks, Fuze. A good write up there; looks like a lot of trial and error.

I have to go out and err some more.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Ship & Shore Guns
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 11:37:01 AM »
Toad,
if you find whels , horn or possibly even Zazen in the game, I would PM them and ask em for some pointers......also some of the longtimer LTAR's as well.

they all  are pretty good at zeroing in on targets regardless if it is from shore to sea or vice versa...

there is also mention of the training staff to be posting a new write up ( think it was from one of the old trainers ) on the trainers website in regards to your info seeking of this subject...I do not have a time line for this though..just keep your eyes open ;)

hope this helps & good luck
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Ship & Shore Guns
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 07:04:29 PM »
Thanks, TC.

As I said, I rarely do anything but fly fighters in the game.

Sometimes though, there's just no AH aviators to engage in thrilling air combat, so while I wait for some to show up I sample other aspects of the game.

Doing so has really highlighted (for me) what a joke the score system is. I usually rank ~2000 in my all fighters all the time mode.

This month I've spent a very small amount of time in attack mode, ship r tank guns, captured 1 field and even a brief run at bombing in a Mossie (to sink a meddlesome cruiser).

Voila! I am presently < 400.  

Simply amazing. Meaningless, but amazing none the less.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Ship & Shore Guns
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 07:25:57 PM »
Originally posted by Toad

Doing so has really highlighted (for me) what a joke the score system is. I usually rank ~2000 in my all fighters all the time mode.

This month I've spent a very small amount of time in attack mode, ship r tank guns, captured 1 field and even a brief run at bombing in a Mossie (to sink a meddlesome cruiser).

Voila! I am presently < 400.  

Simply amazing. Meaningless, but amazing none the less.

According to the logic of some AH Players, you now transformed from a skilled and honorable cartoon plane pilot to a unskilled scorewhoring dweeb. WTG ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
Re: Ship & Shore Guns
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 08:28:35 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
I admit I don't do much of this but given that sometimes they are the only targets around I guess I need to learn more about it.

So, how do you range a target? I'm somewhat familar with the zooming in on the map and clicking for azimuth and range for towns and airfields.

How do you range a fleet offshore? How do you range the shore battery from the fleet?

Tips and tricks anyone?

From shore to ship, I zoom in, raise the gun, press F8 and lower the view to see the target.

Lead the target and fire.  I put my finger on the spash with one hand, then move the gun so my finger is on the target and fire again.

Fire and adjust until you hit.

Wipe the fingerprints off the monitor :)

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Ship & Shore Guns
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 09:55:24 AM »
I'll try that, thx Gun.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Re: Re: Ship & Shore Guns
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 10:22:59 AM »
Originally posted by GunnerCAF
From shore to ship, I zoom in, raise the gun, press F8 and lower the view to see the target.

Lead the target and fire.  I put my finger on the spash with one hand, then move the gun so my finger is on the target and fire again.

Fire and adjust until you hit.

Wipe the fingerprints off the monitor :)

Gunner

You can do the same thing with the mouse cursor.  

Point mouse at target, pull trigger, don't move joystick.  When you see splash, move mouse cursor to splash, move joystick to where ship is, pull trigger.  Sometimes, it's a one shot sight in..  

Plus, no monitor cleaning necessary unless you spit beer on screen when CV goes down :)
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org