Author Topic: Home built config suggestions  (Read 273 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Home built config suggestions
« on: August 09, 2007, 08:33:23 AM »
Would some of you computer hardware gurus suggest the best configuration for a home built box I'll be attempting next month? My intention is to stay with XP Home. Budget is $800 - $1,000. Have read where Skuzzy recommends Intel cpu's over AMD. I can readily determine my needs for DVD/CD trays, HD and such. What I need to determine is:

CPU
motherboard
graphics card
case/powersupply

Offline TexInVa

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 06:29:28 AM »
Hi Max, long time, no see...

Newegg

MSI P6N SLI-FI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
Check out the combo deal on this page. It's both the MB and a 650watt power supply.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor

EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card
This card can be set up on the MB in SLI configuration.

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
I have 4 GB of this same memory in my system, and I have no problems.

Linkworld 3210-04-C2628 Black/ Silver Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

$606.95 + S/H (that's the combo MB/PS)
$751.94 + S/H if you get two video cards

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 11:45:51 AM »
Howdy Flacco, thanks for the system tips. Two questions for you from an admitted geek:

1. PCI Express cards... I recall that some years ago, AGP slot cards performed better than PCI cards, which drained CPU resources. Is that still true of this card you suggested?

2. Why the need for 2 cards? Does that double the graphics performance of the computer?

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 12:02:27 PM »
PCI-Express is a beefed up version of PCI. From a design standpoint, I'm not sure if the two are actually even related. Speed for slots goes from PCI-E being best, AGP second, PCI third, and the long black ones nobody with a computer from the last ten years uses (I can never remember that slot's name...lol).

SLI and Crossfire are systems where you bridge two video cards with a chip to combine their processing power. One system splits the screen in half and lets each card process each half, while the other is every other line. I don't remember which are which.
These systems are twice the cost and will currently provide no more than a 10% performance increase, generally less than 5%.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 12:13:20 PM »
If you're not planning on doing 2 vid cards in SLI (and let's face it, it's a waste of money for most folks) don't get an SLI motherboard. Save some money. You don't get "double" the performance. You get maybe 10% more performance (more or less, depending) for twice the price of 1 card.

I would strongly recommend NOT relying on the PSU given in the combo package. Seems like something of a POS according to the reviews. If you're not going SLI, and you don't use that PSU (which I suggest), then perhaps a less expensive mobo is an option?

PCIe has the possibility for more bandwidth than AGP. Not as much a gap as AGP has over legacy PCI. It's a small difference, especially considering AGP (as an interface) isn't even close to being maxed out. The reason was for ease of manufacturing and for cost of production. It's cheaper to do PCIe for the board makers and vid card companies.

PCI Express (sometimes called PCIe by folks like me :D ) is the way to go. All high-end cards are being geared toward it. AGP card production has been cut in half. There are well over a dozen PCIe GeForce 7600GT options available, but for well over a year there was only ONE option in AGP (and it was sold out wherever you looked!!!), and it was priced 50% more than its PCIe brother. Now there are 2 in AGP (after a long delay), but I've long since switched to PCIe. Often you'll find the same card in AGP is stripped down or crippled compared to its PCIe brother.

Don't get an AGP board. Repeat, don't get an AGP board.

Offline NOT

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 01:07:56 PM »
for a MOBO i would go with an Asus or Gigabyte, or maybe even an Abit. stay away from MSI, there is a reason they have to bundle it with a POS PSU.

as a far as vid cards, unless your gonna get the 8800GTS 640mb or 8800GTX, dont bother with the 8 series. just get a 7900 or 7950, the drivers are better, and AH2 isnt DX10.

the 6550 chip, i highly recommend it. i just got one last week and it smokes. upgraded from pentD940, and at stock speeds the 6550 is twice faster than the 940 was overclocked.

NOT

AKNOT

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 06:13:48 PM »
Originally posted by NOT

as a far as vid cards, unless your gonna get the 8800GTS 640mb or 8800GTX, dont bother with the 8 series. just get a 7900 or 7950, the drivers are better, and AH2 isnt DX10.
NOT

Yeah, the 8600 and lower cards just cant cut it.  Even in DX10 games.  Actually the 320mb 8800GTS performs nearly as well as the 640mb version (at standard resolutions, at high resolutions like 1600x1200+ the 640mb is much better).  The Ultra versions are just overpriced.  

I believe the next 9xxx series of Nvidia cards is slated for November.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 06:20:22 PM by Fulmar »
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either