Author Topic: Ready to start grayscale bitmaps.  (Read 601 times)

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Ready to start grayscale bitmaps.
« on: August 15, 2007, 12:19:31 PM »
The only problem, I don't have the full scoop on what I need to do in order to get it to work. I already made a grayscale bitmap today, sure it's not too great. Saved it in 8 Bit bitmap. named it "grayscale.bmp". I'm not too sure if the grayscale is supposed to have a name less than 8 characters. However, I made a test terrain named "grays" and imported the bitmap. I told the TE to place the max elevation at 15,000. Keeping with the rules of the grayscale, I made sure that the highest elevations was white, and the lowest (water) was black. After I imported the bitmap it appears I went wrong somewhere along the process. The water is all spiked, nothing even looks similar to the grayscale. It's spiked all over the place, even in regions where there is only black (0 elevation).

So, apparently I knew less than I thought. I checked the image in paint under the "Save As" menu to determine if it was grayscale or 256 color. It said 256 color. Obviously that's the problem and I'm not too sure how to fix it in Adobe. The other thing I would like to have is tips on generating the actual grayscale. I just draw different color lines somewhat similar to a topo map. I draw the lowest in the darkest color I can identify, and the tallest elevation in white. Along the way up I draw some brighter lines so the elevation can transition. Then after I've drawn these lines I fill in the blank spots with the color of that elevation. Then I go to the outsides and use the blur tool to merge the colors together so that the terrain doesn't remain at one altitude and then just drop 4,000 FT.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 01:23:08 PM »
Not a surprising result but you’ve figured out how to import it into the TE.

Before you try again, you’ve got to paint all the water pure black, if nothing else use MS Paint. You may think it's already black but it clearly isn't.  Next, if you are unable to create a pure gray scale bitmap with PS then download i_view from mrmidi’s site, or go get it off Ifran’s web site. It can convert your color bitmap into a 256 level grayscale bitmap.

Also, don't forget to use tile setter after you save (the .elv file).
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 01:53:12 PM »
Also, your grayscale bitmap must be 1024 x 1024. That sounds more like your problem. If you import one with tilesetter that's not you get spikes all over.

512 mile terrain = 1024 x 1024
256 mile terrain = 1024 x 1024 with center 512 x 512 as your elevations
128 mile terrain = 1024 x 1024 with center 256 x 256 as your elevations
64 mile terrain = 1024 x 1024 with center 128 x 128 as your elevations

Outer portion of grayscale for smaller maps should be pure black (0,0,0)

In Photoshop select Image/Mode/Grayscale to convert the image to grayscale.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 02:00:11 PM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 04:58:53 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll experiment with it some.
FlameThink.com

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 11:12:26 AM »
Okay, here is my grayscale in 1024 x 1024 for a 64 x 64 mile terrain. (Image converted to .jpg for size, original image used for importing is .bmp)

Would this be suitable, because when I imported it I still didn't see elevations above 2,000.
FlameThink.com

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 11:33:52 AM »
That image is 1024x1024. If that's actual size for your 64x64 terrain, you need to re-read NHawk's post above and shrink the island down accordingly.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 11:41:36 AM »
So are you saying that all greyscales are at 1024x1024, but if your making a 64x64 map you only build/use the center 64x 64 square right?

In denholms picture, if thats 1024x1024, the island is using the middle 512x512, and his lowest elevation is actualy the middle grey color because it is only looking at the center 64x64.

Have I got that right?

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 11:57:31 AM »
Pretty much, except there are two vertices per mile so it's 128 like NHawk posted.

Oh, and yes, all grayscales are 1024 and all terrains are really 512x512 miles no matter what you see in-game.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 12:05:45 PM »
Denholm, for a 64 mile terrain your grayscale should look more like this...

Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 12:17:40 PM »
One other thing I forgot to mention.

If you are importing using the TE import function grayscale 255 MUST be your highest elevation on the map. The TE will not scale grayscale 230 to the highest elevation you input when you import the elevations.

MachNix's tilesetter will scale the input if you so desire.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 04:25:44 PM »
Thanks for the clear up. So I type in 255 as my highest elevation or 25,500 FT?
FlameThink.com

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 04:36:08 PM »
Originally posted by Denholm
Thanks for the clear up. So I type in 255 as my highest elevation or 25,500 FT?
25,500 ft.

You highest poing in grayscale would be a value of 255,255,255