Author Topic: gif avator  (Read 874 times)

Offline Tachus

• Copper Member
Re: Re: gif avator
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2007, 12:05:49 PM »
Originally posted by WMLute

[edit] take your post, copy/past, insert into google (helps to spell avatar correctly, but google will take care of that for you).

go learn

[edit / edit] when school starts, smack your english teacher from last year in the back of the head.  they, and your parents, have failed you miserably.

What little time I've spent on this BB, I've seen a lot of people that never watched Romper Room growing up. The show's catch phrase was, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Maybe the guy is a John Denver fan from South America and English is not his first language (of course he could use the spell check feature.)

Maybe he's an old timer that had to leave school in the 6th grade, because his parents died and he had to support his 12 brothers and sisters.

Maybe he's a complete idiot, but that's besides the point.

At least with the spelling impaired, it's only noticeable when then write. Those that are lacking in the area of "Common Courtesy", well that shows all the time.

Actually I find people tend to behave in a way while posting on-line or while driving there car, that they never would in public. If some guy off the street asks you a stupid question, or uses poor grammar when speaking, would you berate the guy? (Probably not.)

It's like driving 55 in the left lane on the interstate where the speed limit is 70. You have a line of people behind you, but you refuse get over so they can pass. If that same person was in a more personal setting (ie.. not in a car), they would do the courteous thing, but because they're in their car, they behave rudely.

I think this has something to do with our desire to be excepted. We behave in a certain way in public because we have a desire to be seen in a positive light. In the car (or on a BB) we feel we are in a way "hidden." (Those around us don't know us, and we will likely never meet them face to face, so we can act like a jerk, and who will ever know.) Perhaps, what we see, is in fact the true nature of people however, while in those settings. They may "be nice" in public, because they feel compelled, but tend to behave more in line with their character while in a car or on a BB, or similar setting.  Like integrity I guess. True integrity, is not doing the right thing when others are watching, but doing the right thing, when no one could ever know you didn't.

Best regards,
--Tachus

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
gif avator
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2007, 12:11:18 PM »
Originally posted by b56
which one sould i get

Originally posted by SpikesX
eny1

Originally posted by moot
no way eny ruined teh gaem

*spluttter....choke*

omg bestest repli eva!!1!
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Re: Re: Re: gif avator
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2007, 12:22:14 PM »
Originally posted by Tachus
Maybe he's a complete idiot,

You said that, we didn't. ;)

Barry I am serious. I don't have a gif animator and I need an avatar for Der Grosse Schlag. :aok
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 12:25:12 PM by Shifty »

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
gif avator
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2007, 12:57:45 PM »
absolutely brother.. you still have my home email?  shoot me the images and what you want and I'll probably get it done today.  Kids are all gone chores are all done and I'm bored off my rear.  Only reason I'm not up is I'm waiting for my ex to get here and pick up the squid :D

edit: Tachus you are spot on.  I'm actually nicer online than I am in real life.  If you saw me in the grocery store with my common scowl because I have to stand behind someone and wait for 10 minutes while they decide between diced tomatoes or sliced tomatoes right in front of the campbells condesed tomato soup I need to cook chicken mozzarella you'd probably think I'm a complete a-hole because I pretty much am. ;)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 01:01:57 PM by Dichotomy »
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: Re: gif avator
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2007, 01:06:59 PM »
What little time I've spent on this BB, I've seen a lot of people that never watched Romper Room growing up. The show's catch phrase was, "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Maybe the guy is a John Denver fan from South America and English is not his first language (of course he could use the spell check feature.)

Maybe he's an old timer that had to leave school in the 6th grade, because his parents died and he had to support his 12 brothers and sisters.

Maybe he's a complete idiot, but that's besides the point.

At least with the spelling impaired, it's only noticeable when then write. Those that are lacking in the area of "Common Courtesy", well that shows all the time.

Actually I find people tend to behave in a way while posting on-line or while driving there car, that they never would in public. If some guy off the street asks you a stupid question, or uses poor grammar when speaking, would you berate the guy? (Probably not.)

It's like driving 55 in the left lane on the interstate where the speed limit is 70. You have a line of people behind you, but you refuse get over so they can pass. If that same person was in a more personal setting (ie.. not in a car), they would do the courteous thing, but because they're in their car, they behave rudely.

I think this has something to do with our desire to be excepted. We behave in a certain way in public because we have a desire to be seen in a positive light. In the car (or on a BB) we feel we are in a way "hidden." (Those around us don't know us, and we will likely never meet them face to face, so we can act like a jerk, and who will ever know.) Perhaps, what we see, is in fact the true nature of people however, while in those settings. They may "be nice" in public, because they feel compelled, but tend to behave more in line with their character while in a car or on a BB, or similar setting.  Like integrity I guess. True integrity, is not doing the right thing when others are watching, but doing the right thing, when no one could ever know you didn't.

Best regards,
--Tachus

Actually,I'm a bit nicer in here than in real life.  I "tone it down" some when I post here or when I fly.

I have always called 'em like I see 'em.  Ask anyone that know's me in real life.  This is the kinder, gentler Lute.

Just don't ask me my opinion if you don't want the truth.  I rarely pull punches.  (goes both ways.  I would rather you tell me it's my huge tookus and not the pants that make me look fat)

No persona what so ever here.

Personally, I am saddened with the current crop of "squeakers" that have invaded the game.  One out of fifty has a grasp of the English language that any of my kids did at age 8.

Their teachers, and more importantly their parents, have indeed failed them.

You might be "ok" with letting an idiot act like an idiot, and would just let it pass.  Me?  They are going to know that they are indeed an idiot.  It's not like I am tossing out personal insults, or slandering them in any way.  Not my fault if the truth hurts.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 01:15:28 PM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Tachus

• Copper Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: gif avator
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2007, 01:40:05 PM »
You might be "ok" with letting an idiot act like an idiot, and would just let it pass.  Me?  They are going to know that they are indeed an idiot.  It's not like I am tossing out personal insults, or slandering them in any way.  Not my fault if the truth hurts.

Actually if I was "ok" with that, I wouldn't have made my original post.

BTW, honesty is a very admirable quality. However, it should be noted, it is seldom the "truth" that hurts; it is often in fact, the way the "truth" is delivered that stings.

I often tell my daughters, "It's not what you say, it's how you say it, that gets you in trouble."

Best regards,
--Tachus

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
gif avator
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2007, 01:59:47 PM »
fansy wancy arguements :mad: wooOOOooo lookit me wavin ma hands wit fancy gramer arguements :furious
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: gif avator
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2007, 02:42:30 PM »
Actually if I was "ok" with that, I wouldn't have made my original post.

BTW, honesty is a very admirable quality. However, it should be noted, it is seldom the "truth" that hurts; it is often in fact, the way the "truth" is delivered that stings.

I often tell my daughters, "It's not what you say, it's how you say it, that gets you in trouble."

Best regards,
--Tachus

The truth does indeed hurt. If you sit there and type out a huge wall of text to say "your being a jerk", you are still calling' the person a jerk. Whether they are able to grasp your intended point due to all the sugar coating is another story.

I have made many a wall of texts to politely call people morons. I have simply came right out and called them morons. It depends on the situation. Both have their merits.

But who's kidding who...
Your post was just as rude as mine.
You just masked it with stories, analogies, and other such chaff.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Tachus

• Copper Member
gif avator
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2007, 03:47:50 PM »
The difference often lies in the purpose.

To point out the fact that someone is an idiot, just for the sake of stating it.
Versus a desire to help keep that person from looking like and idiot in the future.

Sure you can walk up to some one that doesn't know any better and tell them they stink. Or you can give them some instruction on hygiene. Both involve the truth, but they have different goals in mind; and although both may "hurt" the sting is surely less in the second case.

It's not about sugar coating, it's about being respectful, tactful, and courteous.

I didn't desire to inflame you, or anyone else, just to make a point about how people sometimes respond to posts.

Nothing wrong with, "Go to Google and type in Animated Gif, and you'll find what your looking for. BTW, you should use spell check when you post, and make sure you have searched the forums before you start a new thread. Otherwise people will "Flame" you, and it won't be pretty.)

No sugar there, no stories, and I would bet the guy would probable have complied. So we get a Re-formed poster on the board.

Lastly, It seems, I have caused this thread to move, WAY off topic, so I'll refrain from any further posts, along these lines here.

Best regards
--Tachus

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
gif avator
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2007, 04:04:16 PM »
Avatars can be 80X80 and up to 30000 bytes.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
gif avator
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2007, 06:24:08 PM »
I wish you could have a .swf file as an avatar, I could have fun with that !  :t

Offline eh

• Copper Member
Re: Re: gif avator
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2007, 11:22:51 PM »

[edit] take your post, copy/past, insert into google (helps to spell avatar correctly, but google will take care of that for you).

go learn

[edit / edit] when school starts, smack your english teacher from last year in the back of the head.  they, and your parents, have failed you miserably.

I don't think you want to copy/past. If you put it in the past, no one will see it.

Offline Enduro

• Silver Member
gif avator
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2007, 02:08:28 AM »
this thread wrecked my buzz

thanks
TBolt
Last edited by hitech on 09-08-2004 at 10:51 AM for flaming everone.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
gif avator
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2007, 06:36:04 AM »
b56,
If you still don't have your avatar as you want it, you can send all the pictures you want to have in your avatar to me (click the PM button at the top of my post), describing as clearly as you can what you want it to look like, and I'll take care of it for you.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
gif avator
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2007, 08:05:42 AM »
Originally posted by Enduro
this thread wrecked my buzz

thanks

i think that everyone that posted in this thread needs to go out and get buzzed or drunk :D
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey