Author Topic: 37mm Ack Duds  (Read 358 times)

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
37mm Ack Duds
« on: August 27, 2007, 03:12:02 PM »
Hadn't played for awhile, but last night I see one thing hasn't changed: the wimp field ack 37mm.  A 110 was attacking a vehicle field.  I blazed around at many distances and angles without damaging him.  He lazed around the periphery, dove in, came right at my ack at tree level, flew directly over my ack, I blazed away from start to finish, and NOTHING!  

I can't believe 37mm ack is that inept.  I'm not a bad shot.  I know how to lead and everything in between.  No aircraft should be able to fly directly at a 37mm and over it and escape unscathed.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
37mm Ack Duds
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 03:27:35 PM »
Slow rate of fire? Bad trajectory? Heavy shell? Slow speed of shell?

All that means you can't hit CHIT. It's just the way the gun is modeled. Don't like it? Up an M16, and you get 50cals (although at a shorter effective range)

EDIT: P.S. How much is "haven't played in a while"?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
37mm Ack Duds
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 04:12:46 PM »
Are you absolutely positive I was not aiming the gun........ that would be a major cause of missing.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
37mm Ack Duds
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 04:15:28 PM »
Heh, in OpHusky I hit the same TBM 4 times with a manned ack.

First time I took off 1/4 of one wing. Second hit I took off 1/4 of the OTHER wing. Third time I smoked his engine. FOURTH time I finally shot him down.

That was some crazy **** right there.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
37mm Ack Duds
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 06:16:07 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Heh, in OpHusky I hit the same TBM 4 times with a manned ack.

First time I took off 1/4 of one wing. Second hit I took off 1/4 of the OTHER wing. Third time I smoked his engine. FOURTH time I finally shot him down.

That was some crazy **** right there.

Avengers were extremely tough airplanes. They could suck up major caliber hits like a big, blue sponge.

Not long ago in the game, I grabbed a TBM from a nearby CV to fight off a GV raid by the LTARs. Ordnance was down at the base.

I climbed to 5k and rolled in on a mob of Ostwinds and M4s. Several Ostwinds opened up on my. The TBM took a hit square on the engine, which immediately quit. I continued my dive and just as I released my 1,000 pounder, a second 37mm hit the now dead engine. I eased my nose up a bit and pickled the second bomb at an M4. Both targets were destroyed. I then established a nice glide angle towards the runway and made an uneventful deadstick landing.

Sure beats the TBM of AH1 with its glass tail.....

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
37mm Ack Duds
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 09:34:12 AM »
Not playing for awhile probably means something like one or two sorties a month the past couple years.  But I'm an avid Aces High supporter and have been a daily reader of the bulletin board.

Don't worry, I practiced offline and reset everything up offline before I ventured back.  Interesting to observe the adage that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

I appreciate how crucial proper leading is to all fire, especially AA, but still, when an aircraft bores directly into your 37mm, it ought to die.  

However, it makes each sortie last longer, that's for sure.  And as always, Aces High is great sport wherever and however you play it.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
37mm Ack Duds
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 03:10:49 PM »
u must be crazy ive been killed 20 yest by magic 1 hit auto ack pings either resulting in pw, radiator hits or insta death..... and that was 1-3k off the fiel and with about 2-3k alt
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.