Author Topic: Rudder Pedals as to in game flight  (Read 555 times)

Offline apcampbell

• Copper Member
      • http://
Rudder Pedals as to in game flight
« on: August 28, 2007, 03:30:26 PM »
I've been playing for over 2 weeks now, and have noticed that even though I can get around on my opponent's six, I can't knock him down, let alone connect with any shots, because I can't keep my target centered long enough to make a difference due to me not using rudder controls. (not enough hands between the number pad and my Logitec Attack 3 joystick)

I recently purchased a pair of CH Pedals, thinking I should be able to get a more stable shot when sliding in behind my opponent. Does using rudders make that much of a difference for gameplay? Or did I just waste money?
"Navy061"
http://www.slybirds.com
Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. -Douglas Adams

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 03:45:48 PM »
Once you get use to those bad boys, you'll wonder how you flew without them.

Still using my 12 year old set.  Just make sure you calibrate and set deadzone/ dampening to taste.

GL

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Rudder on Logitech 3
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 04:18:44 PM »
Welcome to the addiction!  Anyway, I have been playing with an Attack 3 joystick and have always used Button #4 for the left rudder, and button #5 for right rudder.  Works A-ok for me.  As far as actually hitting something, darned if people just won't sit still!(LOL)  I have been playing AH about 2 months, and there is quite a learning curve.  You will get better, just don't give up.  See ya up there.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 05:04:05 PM »
If your "Attack" has no twist-action motion (rudder twist) then HELL yes! These pedals will be the best thing for you.

Assuming you can get over the learning curve :D

Using the keyboard for rudder is unacceptable in my book. Rudder peds will help your flight and your aim.

Offline DaChamp687

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 05:30:49 PM »
Another thing have you read about convergence. If u havent there are many great articles here on the website about it.

http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/

Look on the left and scroll down the screen you'll see it. All three are great.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 11:56:45 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Using the keyboard for rudder is unacceptable in my book. Rudder peds will help your flight and your aim.
Agreed

Offline Vortex01

• Zinc Member
      • http://molalla.net/~reeds
Rudder settings
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 01:38:52 PM »
Be patient with setting up your rudder it takes a few flights to get used to new rudder settings so fly around a bit and get the feel for them befor you change them and then only change them a litttle at a time. Also stick scaling can make a huge difference when lining up for the kill, I like mine set with a very gradual low setting on the first several sliders then a rather steep curve u, this gives me some fine control when trimmed properly.
"The green field, red barn and the lone silo, it is all that captures me eye as I fly....."  Memories of Red Baron on INN

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 02:10:02 PM »
If you ever lose your setup you will be annoyed. Take a screenshot of it when you get it right!

I recently lost mine, I think, when mapping my new throttle control.

I think I hit "default" intending only 1 axis on 1 controller, but it redid all of them on all controllers. Really pisses me off when that happens! :furious

Now I'm flying like crap, hard to control, hard to aim, losing lots of easy shots, etc. I'm pretty sure I lost whatever I had set up on my rudder peds. What's annoying is I can't remember what! Now I have to relearn all over again.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 02:12:13 PM »
Even if you don't notice it you're always using rudder. You only notice you're it when you loose the rudder to a bullet. Then you notice you can't get on their six as easy and wish you never lost it. I've felt that way before.

I'll have to buy some rudder pedals and try em out.

Offline Phil

• Copper Member
Rudder pedals !
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 01:24:42 AM »
Do you go nuts when you have a power shortage and u suddenly don't have a microwave ?:mad:
Come to take a shower and the power is still out ?:cry
Come to use your cordless phone and the darn power is still out ?:furious

Once you get used to your pedals, you can't fly without them :D
I often line up on target using my CH pedals !;)
I'm deadly with deflection shots ! The enemy plane pilot thinks he's safe when goin' by me in opposite direction when suddenly I go into a strong YAW and BANG !  pieces are flying off his kite !:rofl

Practice Patience Practice Patience.......

Best of luck !

Salute
PHIL:aok