Author Topic: U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people  (Read 3070 times)

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2007, 09:47:56 AM »
You have M1 Garand?
Sure enjoyable to fire, although a little bulky to carry. What do you use it for? Target practice?
(ohhhh, I'd love to have one, but wouldn't know what to do with it)
The caliber is enough for a polar bearBTW

Target practice, which is very much fun, and to connect with history. That's what I do with it. I also enjoy breaking it down and cleaning it (well, that can depend) and admiring the engineering. I'm not a hunter but I imagine it would be a bit marginal for polar for brown bear and while some hunt with it the weight is an issue of course. A weapon like a Garand, even if it isn't a top collector quality piece will not depreciate in value and my M1 was worth $200 - $300 more than my CMP price the moment I ordered it. This also give me some continued connection to the memories of my military service.

[EDIT: And it cost less than a bleeding edge video card that will be obsolete in 1 year after you buy it and useless 3 years later.]

These weapons are virtually NEVER used in crime, btw. I wonder how many zeroes would be after the decimal point before you found their percentage of usage.

Angus, you were an extra in the filming of of Flags of our Fathers. I bet that was fun. I can own the semi-automatic weapons you carried around during filming, take them to the range and shoot all day. To me, that is fun, and something I can do as my own time permits. It's my golf, or more appropriately perhaps, my P-51. I can also get the utility of self defense, and it represents a counterpoint to any potential tyrant along with 90 million other Americans. Not a big front burner issue today, but our peculiar systems helps keep it that way.

Charon
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 10:18:07 AM by Charon »

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2007, 10:00:54 AM »
charon..whats teh Japanese Trench gun? shotty?

Actually it is a "last ditch" model 99 rifle my dad gave me that he had inherited from a friend of his who served on a carrier in WW2 and brought it back from the war. While Japanese Mausers-actions were generally some of the strongest ever made, the last ditch models were made when resources started to run low. Crude is an understatement (the sights are very basic, for example) and there are questions about metal quality and heat treatment with these weapons. I will never shoot it, but it is an interesting piece. For those in the know, it still has its "mum" as well.

Charon
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 10:03:53 AM by Charon »

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2007, 10:20:33 AM »
Charon,

If I were to live in the US but did not own a gun should I then be labelled a liberal sexually inadequate wimp who is afraid of guns and begging for my home to be invaded?  Just curious because that appears to be the generalisation I'm reading here.

I wonder what Skuzzy's thoughts are on this...being that he doesn't own a gun.

:)
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2007, 10:53:47 AM »
Originally posted by Curval
Umm..yea Toad...I'll change that to "except Toad".

;)
[/b]

Right, Curval. There's nothing you'd like to have right now that you can't have because of income/children/wife ack limitations?

And when the monetary burden of raising children/renovating kitchens has passed you wouldn't consider buying some things you held off on buying earlier in your life?

So, it might just be possible that not owning a gun is not related to a fear of them or any sexual "problem"?

Sure. There's folks that don't own them that don't fear them or don't feel sexually inadequate. Owning a gun isn't really much different than owning a lot of things. Some people own golf clubs, some don't. I'd say it would mainly have to do with the individual's amount of interest in playing golf, wouldn't you?

Of course I personally find it pretty nice that my decision to own or not own a particular recreational item is my decision, not the decision of some petty little perfumed prince that happens to be the local constable.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2007, 11:07:34 AM »
So, it might just be possible that not owning a gun is not related to a fear of them or any sexual "problem"?

Sex and crime/self-defense are definitely related even if deeply subconsciously, unless you're living in Platonia or something.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2007, 11:18:02 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
Sure. There's folks that don't own them that don't fear them or don't feel sexually inadequate. Owning a gun isn't really much different than owning a lot of things. Some people own golf clubs, some don't. I'd say it would mainly have to do with the individual's amount of interest in playing golf, wouldn't you?[/b]

Of course I personally find it pretty nice that my decision to own or not own a particular recreational item is my decision, not the decision of some petty little perfumed prince that happens to be the local constable.

Well, maybe lazs et al will read your first paragraph (quoted) and challenge you on it, because the inference is clear that not owning guns is related to fear and sexual problems during this little discussion.  Disagree, or would you like me to quote the text?

Your second (quoted) paragraph though puts you squarely back into the "we are better, tougher and more free because we have guns" camp.  

WTG
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2007, 11:43:56 AM »
Originally posted by Angus
You have M1 Garand?
Sure enjoyable to fire, although a little bulky to carry. What do you use it for? Target practice?
(ohhhh, I'd love to have one, but wouldn't know what to do with it)
The caliber is enough for a polar bearBTW ;)

Target practice, mostly.  It's a blast to shoot.  It's really not that heavy or bulky.  Unless you are a girly man.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2007, 12:04:20 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
Beeing ranked number one also means the US the country with the least crimes :aok

Isnt that the theory Lazs?

Unless you come to visit, I don't see how it matters.  I rarely hear of criminals
travelling from the US to Norway to commit gun crimes :rolleyes:
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2007, 12:09:17 PM »
lol

It's really funny watching all the gun nuts jizz all over themselves about America having the most guns and then having the entire atricle poo pooed by other gun nuts who claim it is a liberal propaganda article in the first place.

But, I'm not surprised that most here don't see the humour...or simply don't want to.

I'm not sure it's humor, but I have to wonder why the Euro crowd seems to
feel the need to comment on US gun ownership all the time.  America rarely
forces Europe to arm itself, so I'm not sure where the interest comes from.

To be fair, they also appear to have the need to express their opinions on
our justice system and foreign policy too...you'd think nothing interesting goes
on in Europe at all.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2007, 01:02:04 PM »
Rino it's because people are wondering why you constantly crave for more guns when you already have a high amount of gun related crime.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2007, 01:16:19 PM »
Ripley,

Perhaps some of us do not understand where the average euro gets off commenting on something that is not in their country and does not affect them either individually or collectively in their country?

To me it makes as much sense as a paparazzi vulching the royals that the brits claim are only figure heads. I have no care whatsoever if a royal sun bathes in the buff or not or what they had for breakfast, yet there are tons of tabloids that make their living printing all about it.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 01:33:02 PM by Maverick »
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2007, 01:17:11 PM »
Ripley the debate has been rehashed a hundred times.  It is because the self-defense of law-abiding people is sacred enough that it is a worthy risk to allow citizens guns even if the criminals will get their hands on them too.  Criminals will always be armed, but citizens will not always be able to defend themselves, even armed on par with criminals. Introducing guns means the odds are more even than without.
And there is the second amendment, in its original purpose as well, which is no less important than mere criminals on the loose.

The usual "euro"/non-american p.o.v. is that it is not worth arming citizens with a means to end criminals on the spot if those criminals have any chance of being armed too.  Criminals are thus left to their trade which gives them the upper hand.  
Even without guns, criminals most often have all the time in the world to do as much damage as they please while the "authorities" snail their way to the victim, if at all.

That just doesn't compute.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2007, 02:21:37 PM »
I like shooting the garand..  history... funkyness...  and it is powerful and accurate and... you have to admire the craftsmanship put into firearms.

I can't imagine anyone not wanting to own and shoot firearms..   I can't imagine what kind of thinking would say "yeah.. I like em but I can't be trusted to own one."

I do not think that not owning guns makes you a pervert maybe but... repressing the desire to own one or... a fear of them...  is most certainly very very sick.

to actually bother to tell others that they can't own em is beyond sick.

lazs

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2007, 03:03:01 PM »
Originally posted by Rino
I'm not sure it's humor, but I have to wonder why the Euro crowd seems to
feel the need to comment on US gun ownership all the time.  America rarely
forces Europe to arm itself, so I'm not sure where the interest comes from.

To be fair, they also appear to have the need to express their opinions on
our justice system and foreign policy too...you'd think nothing interesting goes
on in Europe at all.

LOL

That is rich.

Tell you what...do a search on "Euro" or anything related and see how many opinions you US guys have on everything...from women to dental hygene, from gun ownership in Europe (or lack thereof) to the healthcare system in Europe, from the UN to lukfish....etc etc etc.

You Sir are a pot and I guess the Euros are the kettle.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2007, 03:26:54 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
Target practice, mostly.  It's a blast to shoot.  It's really not that heavy or bulky.  Unless you are a girly man.

LOL, I walked with a Garand for days. I walked with a Thompson longer, and the Tommy, although heavier, was easier to carry, once you got used to it.
( I am talking of 10-12 hrs a day :D)

BTW, The M1 was so nice to shoot, no recoil to talk off, and not noisy. But the Tommygun, ohhhhh...mama!!!!!!
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)