Author Topic: Scenario Frames  (Read 1043 times)

Offline MAG1C

• Zinc Member
Scenario Frames
« on: August 31, 2007, 06:25:27 PM »
I was trying to explain Aces High scenarios to a "non-flying" friend and how each scenario is broken into frames.  He asked why do you call them frames and I couldn't answer the question.  Does anyone know the answer?

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Scenario Frames
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 07:23:09 PM »
Someone picked it at one point back in the Air Warrior days (maybe DoK), and it sort of stuck.  We just needed a term for the different pieces of a scenario.  "Battle" didn't seem to fit, as the scenario iteself is geared to be one battle, so it would be confusing if we referred to there being multiple battles.  We used "part" already to describe scenarios that were one big scenario, broken up into two or more smaller scenarios (Longbow, part 1; Longbow, part 2; etc.).  "Days" doesn't work as people confuse that with regular days.

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Scenario Frames
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 09:23:09 PM »
Brooke remember Midway back in 90 or 91.  Fought from like 8am EST until midnight in 3 hour periods with 1 hour breaks between them?
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline MAG1C

• Zinc Member
Scenario Frames
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 12:45:37 AM »
91?  Was that Air Warrior for DOS?  I was looking at some of the stuff I saved from Air Warrior scenarios in 98 and 99.  There was a lot of improvisation with the available scenery in those days.  :-)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Scenario Frames
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 12:47:20 AM »
Unfortunately, I wasn't in that one.  The ol' AW days certainly had a highly motivated group of scenario players, which allowed for different sorts of things like that.

Offline MAG1C

• Zinc Member
Scenario Frames
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 11:50:20 AM »
Thanks for the reply about frames Brooke.  

I didn't play in those days either but there a few copies of the DOS version of AW around when I started playing the Windows version.  I seem to recall that the DOS version arenas were pretty limited in size, probably due to DOS memory restrictions.

Offline Old Sport

• Nickel Member
Re: Scenario Frames
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 09:33:10 AM »
Originally posted by MAG1C
He asked why do you call them frames and I couldn't answer the question.  Does anyone know the answer?

Maybe someone used to bowl before they got into computer aviation gaming??