Author Topic: P-47 dogfighting  (Read 3872 times)

Offline odin3

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.vmfblackjacks.com
P-47 dogfighting
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2007, 08:53:18 PM »
I was suggested to learn to turn fight/stall fight first then go to the jug.. so right now i'm flying the spit 8 and amizing. so far today got about 13 kills :) getting my gunnery skill up to.. kinda good..

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
P-47 dogfighting
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2007, 12:21:28 AM »
Don't give up on the P47N.

Use it as the appropriate tool from the P47 tool box of four choices. I use the N minimum from 15k with one or two drop tanks and 50% internal. Depends on how many sectors you are upping from to sweep from 15k up to 20k looking for the altbishy & rooky hoard bangers. Sorry I fly knights mostly.

From 15K and up you can play with anything. If you use wep you can run down ponies, K4, and D9. Above 15k you turn with them. Learn the D11-D40 first. Save the N for last. Until you learn flying the 47 series from the begining, the N will let you down at the wrong and most important points in your dogfights.

YUCCA and Platano used to make me fly D40 and N with them under 7k in the bushs. In that case take 25% internal and a drop tank. Go for the fight, not to get home. Drop the tank when you engage your first con. 47 slows down so fast in the vertical and horizontal on the deck, it becomes a matter of making sure they over shoot where your pipper will be pointing so you get a good snap shot.

Contact Platano about this for a better explanation. I used to land behind him shot to pieces while he landed kills shot to pieces. :)
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
P-47 dogfighting
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2007, 07:29:34 PM »
That 5 or 10 min (or whatever it is) of wep in the "N" makes it one of the best 3-4 planes in the game---takes forEVER (assuming you save wep) to climb to 13ish where its safe to start a fight, but as long as wep holds out the plane is good all the way into the weeds....I cycle it on and off to make sure engine doesnt overheat....just don't run out of wep alone and on deck in Injun country....(and don't let K4's get above you...if anyone can tell me what to do about THOSE salamanders, I'd be happy to hear it:aok )
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
P-47 dogfighting
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2007, 08:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by odin3
I was suggested to learn to turn fight/stall fight first then go to the jug.. so right now i'm flying the spit 8 and amizing. so far today got about 13 kills :) getting my gunnery skill up to.. kinda good..

P47 is a terrible plane. Cant turn...slow..just a big ole target. I would stay away from it. Its not for the faint of heart.:rolleyes:
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
P-47 dogfighting
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2007, 05:29:56 PM »
And....I might add they look funny and are not a real fighter.
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
P-47 dogfighting
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2007, 06:15:49 PM »
wtf r u talking about, P-47s do not look retarded,they are awsome fighters, plus, U LOOK RETARDED

BigBOBCH

PS= idk wtf u talkin bout it cant turn, u put those flaps 1 notch down u can out turn F4Us, so learn to fly is all i got to say
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
P-47 dogfighting
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2007, 07:38:23 PM »
Originally posted by redman555

PS= idk wtf u talkin bout it cant turn, u put those flaps 1 notch down u can out turn F4Us, so learn to fly is all i got to say

I might just be stupid, but I don't think so.
2sBlind

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
P-47 dogfighting
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2007, 08:46:42 PM »
Originally posted by redman555
wtf r u talking about, P-47s do not look retarded,they are awsome fighters, plus, U LOOK RETARDED

BigBOBCH

hook line and sinker nice catch red :lol
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
P-47 dogfighting
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2007, 10:27:10 PM »
lol really tho,i hate it when ppl call the P-47 a bad fighter, if u know how to use its disadvantages, and its flaps, u can easliy take out almost every kind of plane

its got good engine,high speed flaps, carries bombs and rockets,DTs, super good at high alt, its a great plane, how u explain i shoot down normally 3+ ppl every time i fly a P-47, and, most i ever landed in her is 8 kills, all in  a P-47D-40
 o and dont u even dare forget about the freakin 8 50CALS!!!!!
BigbobCH:D

PS: and donkey, i will do that for ya any time, considering i do it all the time
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 10:32:13 PM by redman555 »
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline odin3

• Zinc Member
P-47 dogfighting
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2007, 10:52:42 PM »
well now all i need to do is learn how to fight with it.. i've been trying for like 3-4 weeks and no luck.. :(  for some reason i cant get the BnZ right. when i dive in for the kill they more and i dare not turn cuz i slow down so i just waist gas on flying in and out... then when i try and get behind someone, they out turn me and get behind me and shoot me down... AAAAAHHHHHHH so frustration... *cry*

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
P-47 dogfighting
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2007, 01:57:34 AM »
I think redtop was talking about the P38 :D

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
P-47 dogfighting
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2007, 06:29:16 AM »
lighten it up, i fly my 47D-11 with 6 gun heavy option, DT + 75% fuel, turns with lalas, early spits, yaks, even f4u's if u the isn't smart enough to use flaps, but it's all about the high yoyo's, if you miss a pass, high yoyo on there six for a gun shot, SOMETIMES i'll lag pursuit if i know my E can get me outta dodge if i gotta, i'm no 47 expert but i've been flying it alot lately, D11 wise that is:cool:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 06:32:31 AM by MjTalon »

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline odin3

• Zinc Member
P-47 dogfighting
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2007, 06:47:51 AM »
i still will probly get shot down... my moral has dropped.. some one get me an MRE

Offline Nimrod45

• Copper Member
P-47 dogfighting
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2007, 08:16:30 AM »
Please don't laugh at me but what the heck is a YO YO maneuver.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
P-47 dogfighting
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2007, 08:44:58 AM »
There's a High Yo-Yo and a low Yo-Yo maneuver. High yo-yo is used most of the time to not overshoot, and a low yo-yo is used to pick up more speed. To do a High yo-yo pull up, roll over, and come back down. A low yo-yo is basiclly the opposite, roll over, pull up (since your already upside down it's more like a dive), roll over and pull up.

EDIT:
Now that I have some more time here's what my Flght Manual I have says.

High Yo-Yo
The High Yo-yo the root of all offensive air combat, replacing intelligent maneuvering for "G for Brains" high-G tactics. The high yo yo reduces AOT (Angle of tail, measures the angel between your flight path and that of your target) at the cost of increasing range between attacker and target. The yo yo begins during a turn fight when you have assumed an agressive position behind the bandit, but are stuck in a lag pursuit and unable to bring your nose to bear. Roll up slightly, maintaning the lag pursuit, then pull the nose up.

Low Yo-Yo
The low yo yo is the logical opposite of the high yo yo and performs the exact opposite function. Whereas the high yo yo decreases AOT and increases range, the low yo yo increases AOT while decreasing range.

The low yo yo is generally used when you have a good shot opportunity, but you're outside your weapon's maximum range. To get closer, you lower your nose below the horizon. Lowering the nose increases speed. Unfortunately, the increased speed almost always results in increased turn radius, forcing you into a lag pursuit and increasing AOT. A low yo yo, therefore, almost always requires a following high yo yo to correct the angles problem generated by the increased speed.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 09:34:11 AM by Latrobe »