Author Topic: 'Alien' Jaws Help Moray Eels Feed  (Read 387 times)

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
'Alien' Jaws Help Moray Eels Feed
« on: September 06, 2007, 06:25:58 PM »
Ok, this is just plain creepy.

Especially when they throw in the x-ray photos of the inner set of jaws retracted and extended.

:eek:

Regards,
Sun

Science Daily — Moray eels have a unique way of feeding reminiscent of a science fiction thriller, researchers at UC Davis have discovered. After seizing prey in its jaws, a second set of jaws located in the moray's throat reaches forward into the mouth, grabs the food and carries it back to the esophagus for swallowing..........

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/09/070905134523.htm
Freedom implies risk. Less freedom implies more risk.

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 08:03:39 PM »
i am afraid of the bite of those things, little, big it doesn't matter.  when they bite, the wound gets infected and ive heard they don't let go very easily.  so you don't stick your hands in holes.  even so, you run into them on reefs...

i was being followed by a large green moray that came out of a hatch on a wreck as i swam over it with a ring of speared fish, ringed thru the eyes and still alive and kicking a bit.  i didn't know the moray was following me, tho my buddy was trying to get my attention.  i felt a salamander between my legs as i lazily kicked over the wreck.  i looked down and back and saw a big, big green moray between my legs.  my buddy said when i looked down, my spear gun went off... because i clenched in shock at seeing a green football with teeth 6 inches from my private parts.  i dropped my fish from my belt and he followed it down and crunched off what he wanted.  no big deal it turns out, the moray was used to being fed.  but i didn't know that.

its funny that we are just now discovering this second set of teeth structures in these eels... inspiration for young people who might think it has ALL been discovered already...
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Neubob

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My Movie Clip Website
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 08:07:36 PM »
Looks like Ellen Degeneres

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 03:55:21 AM »
Wow, Gunthr. :O

:lol , Bob.

Regards,
Sun

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 08:52:02 AM »
Gunthr as I read that I clenched. Wow!

Its funny they are just now discovering this info about the jaws. I mean, it aint really a new species.

~AoM~

Offline C(Sea)Bass

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 09:33:58 AM »
Science is always discovering new things about species we have known about for a long time, especially fish and other aquatic creatures. Just last year a student at my college discovered that all brook trout have an unique dorsal fin patter, the same way that whales have a unique tail pattern. Who knows what we'll learn next.

Offline Neubob

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My Movie Clip Website
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 09:58:44 AM »
Originally posted by C(Sea)Bass
Who knows what we'll learn next.

I don't know about you, but I'm holding out for the discovery of 'female rationality'.

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 10:09:52 AM »
Originally posted by Neubob
I don't know about you, but I'm holding out for the discovery of 'female rationality'.

dont hold your breath...

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 11:21:09 AM »
Understood Cbass, but hasnt anyone disected an eel before? "Hey whats this second set of jaws do?" I just find it an odd thing to just be discovering now. Maybe...MAYBEEE they just started growing them! :)

~AoM~

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 11:21:16 AM »
Our local Aquarium has an indoor area with lots of fish tanks.  To most normal people it is a wonderful display of the local sea creatures that can be found in our waters.

To my wife it is merely a living menu.

Fisrt time she say the Moray eels in the tank she said nothing...just..."mmmmmm".
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 05:24:58 PM »
Originally posted by FiLtH
Understood Cbass, but hasnt anyone disected an eel before? "Hey whats this second set of jaws do?" I just find it an odd thing to just be discovering now. Maybe...MAYBEEE they just started growing them! :)

Whoo-kay...now I'm creeped out even more!

:D

Regards,
Sun

Offline myelo

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 07:25:31 PM »
Originally posted by C(Sea)Bass
Just last year a student at my college discovered that all brook trout have an unique dorsal fin patter, the same way that whales have a unique tail pattern.  

Soooo .... he got a grant to go fly fishing. Who says kids today are stupid.
myelo
Bastard coated bastard, with a creamy bastard filling

Offline TalonX

• Silver Member
Moray eels
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 08:52:52 PM »
Originally posted by Gunthr
i am afraid of the bite of those things, little, big it doesn't matter.  when they bite, the wound gets infected and ive heard they don't let go very easily.  so you don't stick your hands in holes.  even so, you run into them on reefs...

i was being followed by a large green moray that came out of a hatch on a wreck as i swam over it with a ring of speared fish, ringed thru the eyes and still alive and kicking a bit.  i didn't know the moray was following me, tho my buddy was trying to get my attention.  i felt a salamander between my legs as i lazily kicked over the wreck.  i looked down and back and saw a big, big green moray between my legs.  my buddy said when i looked down, my spear gun went off... because i clenched in shock at seeing a green football with teeth 6 inches from my private parts.  i dropped my fish from my belt and he followed it down and crunched off what he wanted.  no big deal it turns out, the moray was used to being fed.  but i didn't know that.

its funny that we are just now discovering this second set of teeth structures in these eels... inspiration for young people who might think it has ALL been discovered already...

Somewhere I have a pic of me holding a green moray next to my head, posing for the camera.   We used to scuba dive to the reef where he lived and feed him.  He would swim all around us and let us hold him.  Very strange.

The freakin' little spotted ones are the mean ones.  The scars on my left hand attest to running my hand into a reef trying to grab the lobster, and the moray taking exception, indicating so with a nice bite.  Lots of green blood (divers know what I mean) and beautiful cuts that looked like they were made with razors.
Heavy antibiotics and nothing to show but scars in a bar, sipping mojitos.

-TalonX

Forgotten, but back in the game.  :)