Author Topic: Nice Histroy lesson  (Read 576 times)

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
Nice Histroy lesson
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2007, 10:43:19 PM »
I got to the part where the US declared war on Germany.  I guess that it
was only fair that we declared war on them after Hitler went ahead and
declared it on us first :D
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Nice Histroy lesson
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2007, 10:49:24 PM »
Originally posted by Coshy
my post made it at 4:38, rips made it at 4:33, but I didnt see any of them before I posted.
:noid :noid :noid :p

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Nice Histroy lesson
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2007, 10:51:06 PM »
Originally posted by Dago
To much text, my attention span isn't that long.

We know. :p

For Dago:

Then: Hitler and Aryan Race bad

Now: Osama and Radical Muslims bad

Offline PanzerIV

• Nickel Member
      • http://17thawsquad.aowc.net/main.asp
Nice Histroy lesson
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2007, 10:54:59 PM »
I found this on google, looks funny.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
Nice Histroy lesson
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2007, 10:57:36 PM »
I read it all & found it very interesting, but I'm a history dweeb. Thx for sharing it.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Jack16

• Nickel Member
Nice Histroy lesson
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2007, 11:27:16 PM »
Originally posted by PanzerIV

:rofl

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Re: Nice Histroy lesson
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2007, 11:47:22 PM »
Sixty-three years ago, Nazi Germany ha d overrun almost all of Europe and ha mmered England to the verge of bankruptcy and defeat. The Nazis ha d sunk more t ha n 400 British ships in their convoys between England and America taking food and war materials.

At t ha t time the US was in an isolationist, pacifist mood, and most Americans wanted nothing to do with the European or the Asian war.

You weren't doing too bad til you hit the second paragraph.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
Nice Histroy lesson
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2007, 03:09:53 AM »
Wow!  That was one of the worst essays i have ever read.  i think i may have died a little inside.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Re: Nice Histroy lesson
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2007, 10:05:53 AM »
Then along came Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, and in outrage Congress unanimously declared war on Japan , and the following day on Germany, who ha d not yet attacked us. It was a dicey thing. We ha d few allies .

The vote was not unanimous.  Jeanette Rankin, (R Mont) the first female US Representative, was the single dissenting vote against the Declaration of War against Japan.  

She also was one of 50 to vote against the declaration to enter WW1.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
Nice Histroy lesson
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2007, 12:34:07 PM »
It's not history just opinion masquerading as history.

Just a point or two. The list of allies missed out on New Zealand and South Africa.  If you want to mention Scotland you might as well mention Wales but much better to just say the United Kingdom.

Ireland was neutral, the independant part anyway.

As for the rest, I believe the comparisons are spurious. Germany and Japan were a threat, not only that they had the capability to carry out their threats.

If the US can create a reasonably democratic and stable Iraq, then we ha ve an ally, like England , in the Middle East, a platform, from which we can work to help modernize and moderate the Middle East.

America already had and has allies in the middle east, Egypt, Saudi, Kuwait.

Islamic terrorism is a threat  but in comparsion to the axis powers or even the Soviet Union it has no real military capability. Even a nuclear terrorist attack would only be a pinsalamander in the overall scheme of things.

The whole text is an attempt to play on people's fears and prejudice. The thrust of it is to to justify the intervention in Iraq and to characterise it as the front line in a new world war.

If you oppose this war, I hope you like the idea that your children, or grandchildren, may live in an Islamic America under the Mullahs and the Sharia, an America that resembles Iran today.

That is so absurd, it's almost laughable. There is also ridiculous notion that Europe will fall under Islamic control.  Iran is Shia, the mortal enemy of the Wahabi sect thus the mortal enemy of Al Qaeda.

The author also fails to realise that Islamic terrorism is directed as much at the fellow Muslims as us infidels. The real war on terror is being fought internally. Of the hundreds of thousands who have died because of their actions. The absolute majority were in fact Muslims.

The Shia/Sunni split is the real crux of the situation. One or other would have to eliminate it's opponent before they could sail their invasion barges to the US coast.

I have to say the whole thing is a typical internet scare story.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Nice Histroy lesson
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2007, 01:05:19 PM »
link  http://my.earthlink.net/article/int?guid=20070908/46e21e40_3421_1334520070908-1060472261

algeria has been fighting el quida for 15 years, where have you been?

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Nice Histroy lesson
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2007, 03:19:03 PM »
Originally posted by cpxxx
Even a nuclear terrorist attack would only be a pinsalamander in the overall scheme of things.

9/11 cost our economy a cumulative loss in national income through the end of 2003 of 5 percentage points of annual GDP, or half a trillion dollars. thats for a few acres of lower Manhattan and of course the 3,000 lives.  A small nuke that would kill 10 or 20 times that many?  50 times that many?

more of a shiv to the midsection than a pinsalamander if you ask me.

Originally posted by cpxxx
That is so absurd, it's almost laughable. There is also ridiculous notion that Europe will fall under Islamic control.

The Swiss are trying to ban mineret construction...   seems they have that  ridiculous notion too.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
Nice Histroy lesson
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2007, 05:16:35 PM »

The one in silver is Hillary the the midget is Obama?
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Jack16

• Nickel Member
Nice Histroy lesson
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2007, 07:34:46 PM »
Originally posted by Meatwad
The one in silver is Hillary the the midget is Obama?

lmao!:lol