Author Topic: Sore Losers  (Read 1608 times)

Offline Witty

• Zinc Member
Sore Losers
« on: September 11, 2007, 07:06:06 PM »
So you’re flying along on your way to a furball and sooner than you’d expect, there’s a couple enemy aircraft in front of you. You pick your target which is a pony at roughly your same altitude and about 5.0k away and he’s closing fast. All of a sudden as you’re flying to meet him a Mossie swoops in behind you and begins firing away. Whether you die or not is beyond the point; the mere fact that the mossie got on your six, dove on you from above, or even snuck up on you while hiding in your blind spot is no one’s fault but your own.

Most people accept this truth but there’s a few who absolutely refuse to acknowledge their defeat as their own pilot error; some even go as far as to harass the nearest countryman for not giving them a ‘check six’. Personally I find that when I’m killed, 9 times out of 10, it’s due to my lack of situational awareness (becoming target fixated, simply assuming there are no enemies in the area, only checking for enemies who are on my six and not watching for Boom and Zoomers, and etc…).

When I’m truly in the mood to fight and win, as opposed to just messing around in the MA to unwind after a long day, my SA is razor sharp. That is why I have the volume for ‘check sixes’ turned down. I consider them a distraction and an annoyance. I know what’s behind me when I fight, just as well as what is above me, or off my left or right wing, and etc. But on the other hand, some people value ‘check six’ calls, and others even rely on them. This is okay but if you’re one of these people, don’t get mad when you get shot down because someone didn’t give you a ‘check six’, regardless of whether or not there are a lot of friendlies in the area. This just shows your lack of skill, class, and good judgment (what I mean by this is that I, for example, don’t have a microphone, nor do I have the ‘check six’ function mapped to my joystick so why should I sacrifice a kill or put myself at risk to compensate for the laziness of others? Though, when I can give a ‘check six’, I do, otherwise I don’t).

It’s plain and simple folks; if you got shot down it’s for 1 of 2 reasons:
1) You saw the enemy but did not know how to properly react
2) You didn’t even see the enemy at all
Situational Awareness is all it takes to prevent reason number 2.

For those of you who truly have a problem with not receiving a ‘check six’, regardless of the situation, join a squad or fly with a wingman. Just don’t harass your countrymen especially when you don't know them or their situation.

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
Sore Losers
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 07:13:28 PM »
So were you the mossie?
2sBlind

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Sore Losers
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 07:16:10 PM »
Here here! If you don't know there's an enemy on your six then there's probly a problem. If you see tracers going by the canopy there's probly a problem. If you're in a CHUTE floating down to earth then there is a problem. make sure that you check your six for enemy fighters, even while in a fight. If you're on an enemy six most likley he's calling for some help, ans soon you'll have the bandit on your six.

Offline Witty

• Zinc Member
Sore Losers
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 07:24:15 PM »
No, I was harassed by the person who got shot down by the Mossie. He didn't receive a 'check six' from even one friendly despite there being many in the area. Though, since I was the closest, he took his anger out on me instead of himself.

But that's beside the point. The first paragraph was meant to be more of a catchy intro than a realistic account. Though I based it off of real events.

Offline Flint

• Copper Member
Sore Losers
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 08:05:06 PM »
Bear in mind there are those who are so deluded who believe that anything bad that happens to them is due to someone else.

Beyond redemption.

General rule is give a check six if you can ... don't expect  or depend on one.

Have fun & and don't let the mice grind you down.... lots of squeaky wheels out there.

Offline TalonX

• Silver Member
Crybabies
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 08:08:50 PM »
As if everyone else around you is expected to cover your six.

Get a wingman.  Otherwise, shut up.

-TalonX

Forgotten, but back in the game.  :)

Offline moneyguy

• Silver Member
Sore Losers
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 08:13:27 PM »
although a check 6 is nice, i don't expect to get one.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Re: Sore Losers
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 09:11:19 PM »
Originally posted by Witty

For those of you who truly have a problem with not receiving a ‘check six’, regardless of the situation, join a squad or fly with a wingman. Just don’t harass your countrymen especially when you don't know them or their situation.

Well said Witty.

Your post reminds me of a certain player who flies Bishops. Although this guy is a pretty good stick, every time he gets nailed in a down n dirty furball, said player begins a range-vox and country-text rant that goes on for 10 minutes. This has been going on for years under various player names (cpid's) by the same guy.

Bottom line, as you said, unless you're flying with a wingie, YOUR 6 is YOUR responsibility. A check 6 from another teammate is always appreciated, but for cryenoutloud, don't go off on a rant when your cartoon plane ends up in pieces.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 09:13:36 PM by Max »

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Sore Losers
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 10:33:11 PM »
The best response to such an outburst is always an enthusiastiac postmortem "Check Six!".

Think it was Morpheus who said something like "The only time you should be looking straight forward in a fight is when you're shooting". Good advice; pity those who need it most don't heed it.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
Sore Losers
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 11:18:47 PM »
Well said Witty, I agree.

I will give a check-6, I appreciate a check-6, but I do not expect them from anyone.

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
Sore Losers
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 01:01:03 AM »
Nicely put, Witty, but why the shades?  You aren't exactly saying something likely to incite people.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Sore Losers
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 01:17:50 AM »
Originally posted by Max
Well said Witty.

Your post reminds me of a certain player who flies Bishops. Although this guy is a pretty good stick, every time he gets nailed in a down n dirty furball, said player begins a range-vox and country-text rant that goes on for 10 minutes. This has been going on for years under various player names (cpid's) by the same guy.

Bottom line, as you said, unless you're flying with a wingie, YOUR 6 is YOUR responsibility. A check 6 from another teammate is always appreciated, but for cryenoutloud, don't go off on a rant when your cartoon plane ends up in pieces.

I must have heard one of these one night.  All of a sudden some idiot starts screaming and swearing at all the Bish on local vox because he didn't get a check six.  If I could remember who it was I might just keep pounding the check six button at him next time I see him whether he needs it or not... :lol
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Re: Sore Losers
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 01:23:06 AM »
Originally posted by Witty
It’s plain and simple folks; if you got shot down it’s for 1 of 2 reasons:
1) You saw the enemy but did not know how to properly react
2) You didn’t even see the enemy at all
Situational Awareness is all it takes to prevent reason number 2.

Actually, when I get shot down, I'm pretty sure it's because the other guy cheated.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

VWE

Sore Losers
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2007, 02:58:03 AM »
I might have been the mossie, sorry for not giving a check 6 on channel 200... I'll work on that.

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
Sore Losers
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 04:13:57 AM »
For me the function of Ch6 button remains a mystery. Many times it just does not "want" to select the person I want it to and while scrolling through all the own planes in the vicinity IF it finally selects the right plane it usually is too late. I usually end up warning the wrong person and apologizing for that. Maybe it should have some kind of priority to the planes in the middle of your screen, dunno.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."