Author Topic: So, how are those new Halftracks going to be used?  (Read 485 times)

Hans

So, how are those new Halftracks going to be used?
« on: February 11, 2000, 06:44:00 AM »
Think about it.  It isn't like you can turn off the guns while the thing is on the ground like a bomber's turrets.  I can already see a big problem if a base can not be shut down aka closed.  One halftrack constantly spawning to shoot paratroopers.

So, are these things intended to defend bases?  Can they spawn elsewhere (towns and factories)?  Can they only spawn at towns and factories?

And the big question.  Are these the ONLY vehicles or are there going to be tanks too.

[storymode]
A while back in Air Warrior they added jeeps with a .50 cal for base defense against vulchers.  This wasn't strong enough so next came the flak panzer.  This did the trick, but enterprising players with time on their hands drove them to enemy airbases and wreaked havoc.  So next came T-34s to shoot those wandering flak panzers.
[/storymode]

So, is this just a repeat of that formula or are we going to get something else thats more interesting?

Hans.

[This message has been edited by Hans (edited 02-11-2000).]

Offline lasse

• Copper Member
      • Lassenet
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2000, 07:15:00 AM »
I guess the main objective with the halftrack when it arrives is just to do that, shoot tropers.
Today people use planes to do this, looks stupid and it aint excactly historical correct either when some planes is driving around on the ground in 50mph and shooting at troops, so the halftrack shure will improve this part.

There MUST be one or two buildings at the airfield the trucks   anks comes from, so if this building is bombed, no more trucks will spawn at that field until the building(s) comes up again.

I also assume there will be tanks, probably even more vehicles too, at least i hope so  

------------------
The Wild Vikings
Commanding Officer
lasse-
You smell that? Do you smell that?
Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
The smell, you know that gasoline smell, smelled like victory.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2000, 07:18:00 AM »
Easy to fix your concern about driving them to enemy airbase, limit the fuel they can carry.  

Right now, it is VERY easy to capture a base, 1 individual, with an unwary enemy, can capture a base all by themselves in 2 sorties.

I would like to see tanks implemented, one could shell a city or HQ to destroy, give them only enough fuel to get within gun range of the enemy city/HQ.  This would add a 3 dimensional battle zone.

However,I don't think HTC is going to implement any strat with vehicles for awhile.

------------------
Brian "Ripsnort" Nelson
++JG2++ ~Richthofen~
(Formerly VF-101 Grim Reapers~Defected~)
"There is no reason anyone would
want a computer in their home."
   Ken Olson, president, chairman and
founder of Digital Equipment Corp.,1977

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2000, 08:05:00 AM »
Set aside the mountains in the current map for a moment.

How do you use the Halftrack? Easy. Make them capable of carrying the commandoes in to get the map room. Why?

They're slow. They do have defensive capabilities. They could spawn from nearby cities (representing the moving front). And it shifts the emphasis somewhat off the "airbase only" approach to the strat model.

To effect a capture requires simultaneous:

A.) Destruction of target field;
B.) Launching of convoy and/or C47's;
C.) Suppression of the enemy defenses.

To effect field defense requires:

A.) Destruction of nearby enemy depots;
B.) Destruction of enemy convoys;
C.) Destruction of enemy C47's;
D.) Destruction of enemy suppressive fighters.

By having to deal with cities/depots near the front, the strat is easily shifted and broadened from the current airbase-heavy model. There will have to be low-level attack craft seeking out these convoys. There will have to be attacks on the depots running at all times.

Placing the depots near the front also allows the viable implementation of the more sinister of the base attackers; the tank. The biggest  hurdle I can see to adding ground vehicles would be the distance/time involved in using them. Allowing depots within a reasonable distance of the front will add many new dimensions to gameplay. And how much harder would it be to do (within the code) than what we are doing now?

HiTech? Pyro?

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2000, 09:23:00 AM »
I like the idea of using vehicles to transport troops for capture.  Why limit capture to airfields?

I would like to see some form of ground and sea action here in AH.  I know its a flight sim but hey!

Yeager
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Hans

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2000, 05:32:00 PM »
I want tanks Ripsnort.  I still want to use ground vehicles in an offensive way, not just defense.  Thus tanks.

I can even live with AI ground forces, but at least we will have them.

Hans.

Offline pzvg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2000, 08:48:00 PM »
Thursday in conversation with Hitech while flying, I do believe he said H/tk won't be released until the tank and Flkpnzr are done, so I think the ground war is going to develope some serious fangs  
hope it's a Panther, not some slowass Tiger or pansy Sherman 15 years and I'm still a DAT!

------------------
pzvg- "5 years and I still can't shoot"

Hans

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2000, 10:24:00 PM »
I think the tanks to model ought to be the mark 4 German tank, not the 5.  The PzKw V Panther is a great tank, but thinking long term here you can get more "milage" out of a PzKw IV since it was used thru most of the war.  It also is a good tank in 1945.

And it won't be overmatching a Easy Eight Sherman tank...and yes....I do think in terms of gameplay balance.  Vehicles should match up pretty closely.

Thus the American Sherman, German IV and Russian T-34s are the tanks of choice.

I agree that Tigers are unsuited to the game because of their slow speed.  They're really only usefull in slow plodding attacks or defense.

But, this all hinges on whether or not Hitech and crew are even interested in changing the gameplay from strictly air to air combat, with paratrooper attacks to a more conventional 'war' sim instead of just a 'flight' sim.  I have gotten the feeling over time that they in fact are reluctant to do this.  My feeling is that they are only adding vehicles as a trick pony, and these things will never have a serious and major use.

This may be why the WarBirds crew split into two camps.  Hitech and Pyro are making a flightsim, while Killer and Mo are trying their hand at the "God" sim....WW2 Online.

I'm hoping that Hitech Creations may go the route and make a WW2 Online K.I.S.S. version.  Keep it simple, stupid.  WW2 Online may be too big to pull off.

Hans.

Offline pzvg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2000, 11:27:00 PM »
Logically you are right Hans, but look hard at my handle, I think you would agree I might have a case for pleading Bias?  
Besides Mk IV had paper-mache top armor,
even .05's will rip them up.

------------------
pzvg- "5 years and I still can't shoot"