Author Topic: Modeling for Collisions  (Read 567 times)

Offline HighGTrn

• Copper Member
Modeling for Collisions
« on: September 20, 2007, 02:24:37 PM »
I know there are several postings in various forums about collisions but I have not seen any from the HTC people about collision modelling.  I know that colliding is a fact of the game and accept that.  

What I would like to understand is what parameters have to be in place for the host to model that you have collided and died vs. your opponent.

I have gone out of my way to avoid collisions to the point of avoiding high deflection, front aspect shots.  This usually results in having to work extra hard to reverse and gain advantage when I originally had the shot in the first place.

The reason I have resorted to such caution is lately, it seems like every time there is a collision, I go down in flames while my opponent chugs happily by.  It seems it does not matter if I try to get out of the way or not.

So, could someone from HTC sound off and give us all a little insight about your collision modeling.  Also, don't say " it takes two to collide" or "don't get yourself in a HO" because those aspects are part of the game and sometimes you cannot avoid it no matter how hard you try.

Thanks,

HighGTrn
in game call sign: S1n1ster

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Modeling for Collisions
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 02:52:36 PM »
In a nutshell: Avoid a collsion, and you won't take damage. ;)

But here some explanations:

If there is no collision on your screen, you take no damage. If there is one, you will take it. How much damage you take is depending on what parts of your plane get into contact with the enemy.

But how comes that my enemy does not take damage?
Due to lag, what your opponent sees on his screen is never exact the same what you are seeing. So it is possible (and happens quite often) that there is a collision on your screen and none on his (maybe missing you only by a few feet). And vice versa.

If you see only see "XXX has collided with you", there was a collsion on his screen only - only he takes damage
(If you are taking damage though, you just have been shot)

If you only see "You have collided", the collision was on your end only.

If you see both messages, a collision has happened on both ends. Both take damage (though the actual amount can differ vastly)

There is a chance you may experience something like a "deliberate ram": For example a very fast enemy  buzzing  past you while you did fly straight & level (maybe AFK). But this is quite rare, and actually extremely difficult to induce deliberately by your enemy, for he has no clue how you both are positioned on your Front End.

For a more indepth discussion of lag, go to http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/ and read "How lag affects Aces High"
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 02:58:24 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline MWL

• Nickel Member
Modeling for Collisions
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 02:58:56 PM »
Greetings,

I ain't no expert on this, tho I do appear to be an expert in the actual act of colliding . . . .

Your front end (your computer) is the one that decides if you collided or not.  'His' front end (his computer) decides if 'he' collided or not.

If you run into him, and he don't run into you (as seen by the appropriate computer) you collide and he don't.  It also works the other way.  If he runs into you, but you dodge and avoid him, he collides and he don't.

Regards,

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Modeling for Collisions
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 03:54:59 PM »
What I would like to understand is what parameters have to be in place for the host to model that you have collided and died vs. your opponent.

The "host" (server) makes no decisions in regards to collisions. Think of the "host" as a data broadcaster.

My FE (Front End) receives data from the server that describes the area around me ... as does your FE.

My FE send data to the server as to where I am in the spacial bounds of the map. That data contains multiple X-Y-Z spacial coordinates of the aircraft ( its spacial bounds) that I am flying ... as does your FE.

So if you and I are in the same area, we are telling the server where we are and what space we occupy and then the server broadcasts that info to anyone within a radius that HT think needs to know this data.

So we see each other and begin our entry into the merge.

As we approach our XYZ coordinates are being tranmitted to the server and the server is sending them back out to the both of us. The FE interprets the data that we receive and renders what we need to see on our screen.

We are now closing fast and directly at each other ...

at the last second you snap roll and on your FE you see a "miss" ... that means that your spacial XYZ coordinates did not intersect with my spacial XYZ coordinates (gotten from the server) ... and your FE allows you to continue on with no damage.

On my FE, I didn't do any evasives and I see a "hit" ... that means that my  spacial XYZ coordinates intersected with your spacial XYZ coordinates (gotten from the server) ... and my FE see a collision and then renders the damage.

The real key here is the data coordinates "gotten from the server" ... the timing of when my data gets to the server and to you and visa versa ... is never consistent ... nor is it instantaneous, and nor will it ever be (in my lifetime).

Anytime I get into a collision is when I am in close quarters knife fighting and it happens so fast that when I get the message ... I shrug it off and float to the ground and then get a new plane and do it all over again ... I find no need to dwell on it ... it solves nothing.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline HighGTrn

• Copper Member
Modeling for Collisions
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 05:09:26 PM »
That helps alot guys but I guess Lusche said it best... Just don't get into the sit where a collision is possible.  Some people do it better than others.  Since I've been playing for 5 months, I guess I'll have to really work on ACM and try and saddle up or gain a real advantage on every fight.

Thanks guys!!

HighGTrn
in game call sign: S1n1ster

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Modeling for Collisions
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 07:05:15 PM »
some one recorded HT explaining things at the Convention in Texas. Do a search for conventions and maybe you'll find the link for it.

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
Re: Modeling for Collisions
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 10:10:43 PM »
Originally posted by HighGTrn
I know there are several postings in various forums about collisions but I have not seen any from the HTC people about collision modelling.  I know that colliding is a fact of the game and accept that.  

Try searching for "collisions AND hitech"

Here is one, check Page 4:

collisions AND hitech

Gunner
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline Uriel

• Zinc Member
Modeling for Collisions
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 04:32:07 AM »
Originally posted by Lusche
In a nutshell: Avoid a collsion, and you won't take damage. ;)

problem with logic here, to collide with something it has to be there, how can lag not effect both players.. if the plane wasnt there.. no hit

For a more indepth discussion of lag, go to http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/ and read "How lag affects Aces High"

never mind Lusche .. I scrolled further.. kinda goofy thoug.. Im sure that is exploited
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 04:35:54 AM by Uriel »

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Modeling for Collisions
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 05:16:23 AM »
Originally posted by Uriel
Im sure that is exploited

Please elaborate.

Bronk
See Rule #4