Author Topic: Ava Development group  (Read 2021 times)

storch

Ava Development group
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2007, 10:36:11 AM »
why not go whole hog, no icons for bad guys.  it will have a negative population though because them the place is already a ghost town.

Offline KONG1

• Silver Member
Ava Development group
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2007, 10:42:11 AM »
Originally posted by Trukk
Historically Realistic:  A gaming experience that recreates, as much as possible a real combat mission, while at the same time being entertaining.

This means the focus is on flying and surviving the mission, like it was in real life.  It's not capturing bases, not furballing, etc.

It means turning off DotDar, pilots in WWII did not have a datalink to an AWACS.  One of the skills of a good WWII pilot was the ability to spot the enemy early.

It means that some missions will be milk runs, some you will get hammered and some you will be doing the hammering.

It means that the majority of the time a pilot will not be aware he is being attacked until he is being shot at.

It means that you will have to fly more than five minutes to the enemy, and if you get shot down you are out if it as the fight will have finished or moved on before you can fly back.

It means having gaming experinces that make you go "wow it was just like that book I read", not the History channel everything is instant action boiled down into 42 minutes.  I could go on, but basically it's what I'm hoping Combat Tour will be.
The only thing you have suggested here is turning off dot dar. The rest is just what you would like the result of changes to be. So what changes would you make to the arena setup to accomplish these results.

If wishes were horses...
“It’s good to be King” - Mel Brooks

Offline Trukk

• Nickel Member
Ava Development group
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2007, 10:42:25 AM »
Originally posted by storch
why not go whole hog, no icons for bad guys.  it will have a negative population though because them the place is already a ghost town.

Sure, as soon at the average computer screen has the same resolution as the human eye.  That would be cool as heck.

Offline Trukk

• Nickel Member
Ava Development group
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2007, 10:53:31 AM »
Originally posted by KONG1
The only thing you have suggested here is turning off dot dar. The rest is just what you would like the result of changes to be. So what changes would you make to the arena setup to accomplish these results.

I'm not familier what is or isn't possible with arena setups but...

- Big, realistic map, up for a month.
- DotDar off.
- ENY off.
- Nothing captureable.

Back in the spring we had several squads flying weekly missions we called HARM missions sometimes they were really fun but it was so hard dealing with, ENY, Pizza Maps, Jets, etc.  You justs could not plan a fun realistic event on a regular basis and if you can't be consistant it's awfully hard to keep guys interested.

Offline KONG1

• Silver Member
Ava Development group
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2007, 11:04:40 AM »
Historically and realistically speaking:

IT WAS NOT FUN.

Carry on.

Offline Trukk

• Nickel Member
Ava Development group
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2007, 12:08:18 PM »
If you don't want an answer, don't ask the question.  I'm fully aware that this would have no appeal at all to furballers, but it would be nice to have one arena that is different from all the others.

I can't imagine it requiring a whole lot of server to host an arena like the AvA, too bad we couldn't have two AvA arenas.  The current furball one and a "Historical" one.

Offline KONG1

• Silver Member
Ava Development group
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2007, 01:54:24 PM »
I made the supposition that historically, it was not fun.

In the next post you wish for a historical arena.

Just curious. Do you think my supposition incorrect and believe it was actually fun or are you saying you want an arena that is not fun?

Offline Trukk

• Nickel Member
Ava Development group
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2007, 02:50:22 PM »
Well you're post came of as more of a "I'm taking my ball and going home" type of thing.  Since in real life people's lives were on the line, to even ask the question "was it fun in real life" seems pretty much a self answering question if you think about it.  The point is pretty meaningless anyway, since the exact same thing could be said about furballing.

But no one is trying to convince you, of what you should find fun to do.  It's your money, play as you see fit.

I just think there is an audience that would be interested in a more realistic game experience than just insta-furball.  Something that is sorely lacking from AH, but which I hope will be addressed when Combat Tour comes out.

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
Ava Development group
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2007, 02:51:21 PM »
So it's the historical that kept people playing in AvA?Large real maps?Easy bases?

Well good to know my new map is everything that.Because if it is quick action up and die that keeps people in AvA (this is how it is now and there is no people in the AvA) my map won't be a success.

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
Ava Development group
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2007, 03:43:58 PM »
duhs got some awsome avaworthy maps  with great distances ext...
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

storch

historical is it?
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2007, 04:22:22 AM »
went in there last night for a spin.  there were some players playing historically.  that means that historically no one wants to die.  these are the types of players that find the SEA to be exciting and invigorating I'm sure.  if becoming a historical arena is the goal and last night was leaning towards authenticity then count me out.  I spent an evening trying to get a decent fight out of four to six timid ack running unskilled I gotta live like it's real tardlettes and in my opinion it's more fun to watch paint dry.

I never thought I'd see the day when I would be happy to see 1duck1 on and yet......  when the fighting players were showing up I had to log because 0500 shows up around here at 0500.

make it historical but it will be emptier than what it is now if that's at all possible.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Ava Development group
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2007, 11:22:03 AM »
You guys are labeling anyone looking for a fight a furballer.  That is not true.  Furballers look for a furball to pick as many planes they can before they die.  I and a lot of the regulars are not going in the AvA to furball.  We go there for the occasional good 1 vs 1, 2 vs 1, 2 vs 2 etc.  Don't confuse looking for a good fight with furballing.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Ava Development group
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2007, 12:26:06 PM »
For me, "historical" means limited planeset... whatever is appropriate for the scenario that week. I think that's the only thing that should be different from the MAs. Any restrictions beyond that will drive people away.
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

VWE

Ava Development group
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2007, 12:54:13 PM »
You know alot of people posting here are looking for "tour of duty", well keep waiting... don't try to make this areana into that.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Ava Development group
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2007, 01:14:44 PM »
Originally posted by Dux
For me, "historical" means limited planeset... whatever is appropriate for the scenario that week. I think that's the only thing that should be different from the MAs. Any restrictions beyond that will drive people away.

Yep.  But we have that already. That's why I keep asking what they want changed
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.