Author Topic: Seperate scores!  (Read 4065 times)

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Seperate scores!
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2007, 08:27:01 AM »
Be really interesting to see what happens, but it does make the large arena scores more meaningful.

Who knows -- when it comes to those who like playing for score, maybe the EW and MW will end up being the Double A and Triple A Leagues for the MAs' Majors?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 08:43:54 AM by Simaril »
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Seperate scores!
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2007, 10:14:17 AM »
Originally posted by Simaril
Be really interesting to see what happens, but it does make the large arena scores more meaningful.
I agree...

Who knows -- when it comes to those who like playing for score, maybe the EW and MW will end up being the Double A and Triple A Leagues for the MAs' Majors?

Not so sure I agree on this.  I would say that being #1 in any of the three will carry the same weight.   I predict that the better scoring players will be shooting for top honors in all three.  We may see many of the same names, but now in three places.  I also predict that the EW and MW will have larger numbers on average.

Like any game, when the rules change, so does the way you play if your goal is to win.  For those who think "winning" is to have the best overall rank(s), then they will figure out how to split time in order to do just that.

Don't get me wrong, I thinks it's a great idea to split the rankings like HTC is doing.  I just think it will change the style of play, not who ends up being ranked at the top.

It could be interesting...
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline MotorOil1

• Copper Member
Seperate scores!
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2007, 11:04:04 AM »
Should be interesting to see what happens.  It will either drain completely the usage of the EW/MW or you will see numbers consistently higher.  You may get players who will fly certain arenas exclusively.  Only the guys with tons of time on their hands will be flying all three just to get a ranking in all three arenas.

Personally I think you'll see guys consistently flying in the same arena, what will happen is we'll see exactly how many are out there who were just padding their scores.
MoterOil
-=Most Wanted=-
"These are detestable murderers and scumbags. They detest our freedoms, they detest our society, they detest our liberties." - General Hillier July 14, 2005, on Osama bin Laden and his ilk

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Seperate scores!
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2007, 11:04:55 AM »
Yeah, interesting it will be.

BTW I didnt mean to put down any arena -- only meant that with smaller numbers, it is GOING to be easier to get a good rank in the EW/MW arenas than it is in the MA. Not only are there more people to compete with in the "big league", but it is far, far, far harder to predict what is going to happen. Harder to maintain SA, more likely to find a surprise like opposing missions bumping in to each other.

In that sense, the smaller arenas are going to be easier to score well in.

I hadn't even thought of the "Triple Crown" effect -- I'd bet it really would be a challenge for even the most dedicated player to top the score heap in all 3 arenas.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Seperate scores!
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2007, 11:15:12 AM »
Originally posted by Scca
I predict that the better scoring players will be shooting for top honors in all three.  We may see many of the same names, but now in three places.  

I don't think so.  As a recent score-potato I'll be sticking to one arena (LW) so I'm not wasting my time with something that won't help out my rank/score.

It's gets pretty competetive in the top 80 or so so I'm sure many others will do the same.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Carwash

• Copper Member
Seperate scores!
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2007, 11:23:11 AM »
About time.

Thanks HTC

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
Say what?? EW, MW, LW own tour??
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2007, 12:01:54 PM »
As of the start of the next tour, we will be giving the Early, Mid, and Late War arenas into their own tour.

:huh

Clarify please.
Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline Tiger

• Nickel Member
Seperate scores!
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2007, 12:02:35 PM »
Havn't been able to log on and play lately to read the official announcement... are the two LW's gonnabe scored seperate or together?

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
Seperate scores!
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2007, 12:20:37 PM »
Originally posted by Scca
I predict that the better scoring players will be shooting for top honors in all three.

We'll finally see who are the nerds without a social life! :D

EDIT: question... in the above sentence, what is the correct form? "who are the nerds without a social life" or "who the nerds without a social life are"? :p
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 12:24:48 PM by Gianlupo »
Live to fly, fly to live!

storch

Seperate scores!
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2007, 12:33:55 PM »
I predict eaglehrt will have three accounts, three computers and be hiding in the corner of three spawn hangers simultaneously at a VH near you.

Offline Laciner

• Zinc Member
Seperate scores!
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2007, 12:46:58 PM »
"We'll finally see who are the nerds without a social life!

EDIT: question... in the above sentence, what is the correct form? "who are the nerds without a social life" or "who the nerds without a social life are"?"

Unfortunately you have boxed yourself into a corner. Your original formulation would pass for conventional English, but it is clumsy, not least because you should really say "the nerds without social lives". Your alternative formulation, "who the nerds without a social life are", would cause the English government of England to issue a fatwa against you. It is a betrayal of everything that Winston Churchill, Lady Diana, Lord Beaverbrook, Clement Attlee, George Best, Henry V, and Dan Dare fought for.

You could say "we will finally see the nerds without a social life!", but even that is unsatisfying. The problem is that "finally see" does not strongly imply finding something, but "finally find" is clumsy, and "finally locate" or "finally determine" sound robotic. At this point I would give up entirely. That's why I envy you, because you have the vim to actually create something, even if it is flawed, whereas I am locked into the pursuit of an unattainable perfection.

It pushed, I would scrap the sentence entirely and write either "we will find the King of the Nerds", or "some people think that flight sim fans are nerds who spend hours in front of their computers, instead of partying and having fun with girls, and also drinking. But with three separate scoring arenas, we will finally put that distorted stereotype to rest."

I'm going to proof-read this message, and then proof-read it again.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 12:51:43 PM by Laciner »

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Seperate scores!
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2007, 01:04:55 PM »
"who the nerds without a social life are"

As in "We will finally see who they are", they being "the nerds without a social life".
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Seperate scores!
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2007, 01:09:45 PM »
Originally posted by Laciner
"We'll finally see who are the nerds without a social life!

EDIT: question... in the above sentence, what is the correct form? "who are the nerds without a social life" or "who the nerds without a social life are"?"

Unfortunately you have boxed yourself into a corner. Your original formulation would pass for conventional English, but it is clumsy, not least because you should really say "the nerds without social lives". Your alternative formulation, "who the nerds without a social life are", would cause the English government of England to issue a fatwa against you. It is a betrayal of everything that Winston Churchill, Lady Diana, Lord Beaverbrook, Clement Attlee, George Best, Henry V, and Dan Dare fought for.

You could say "we will finally see the nerds without a social life!", but even that is unsatisfying. The problem is that "finally see" does not strongly imply finding something, but "finally find" is clumsy, and "finally locate" or "finally determine" sound robotic. At this point I would give up entirely. That's why I envy you, because you have the vim to actually create something, even if it is flawed, whereas I am locked into the pursuit of an unattainable perfection.

It pushed, I would scrap the sentence entirely and write either "we will find the King of the Nerds", or "some people think that flight sim fans are nerds who spend hours in front of their computers, instead of partying and having fun with girls, and also drinking. But with three separate scoring arenas, we will finally put that distorted stereotype to rest."

I'm going to proof-read this message, and then proof-read it again.
:huh
Nothing like an english lesson from an englishman....  and relevant too...NOT!
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
Seperate scores!
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2007, 02:00:52 PM »
IF pushed...

[I'm not fussy; but, you did say that you were proof-reading twice.]
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 03:12:12 PM by TEShaw »

Offline shamroc

• Copper Member
Re: Seperate scores!
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2007, 02:03:37 PM »
Originally posted by Lusche
Wooot! Thanks HTC for seperate scores for each arena type from next tour on! I'm very happy to see this implemented, even though my fancy and all-important LW rank will suffer badly (no more milky unopposed base captures) ;)

:aok

Should be _really_ interesting to see how this affects the early and mid arena player numbers....

Shamroc