Author Topic: Cherry picking is O.K.!!  (Read 3746 times)

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
Cherry picking is O.K.!!
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2007, 06:53:38 PM »
Originally posted by Murdr
From the radio terms glossary

"cherry (pick) - Attacking an enemy already engaged with another plane"

That's just nonsense.

Suppose me and a squaddie (or any countryman, really) engage a co-alt pair of bogies. It turns into two 1v1 duels within a 4-ship furball. I kill my guy and then turn my attention to the bogey on my partner's 6. I saddle him up and kill him unawares.

That is NOT cherry picking as the term is thrown around. Time for a new entry in the radio terms glossary, I think.

Now here's what I call cherry picking:

There's a a medium or low alt furball between two enemy bases. (For discussion's sake, let's say it is at around 4k, with a few ships just a little higher and lots of planes below, right to the deck.) For the most part, most pilots from both sides are basically just taking off and flying directly to the furball as fast as possible, and are entering the furball co-alt (4k), and they start turning and burning. Most pilots jump right in and start dogfighting until they're killed, though some are able to disengage and get away to land some kills.

I guess this is SkyRock. Sometimes it is me too. It *always* used to be me when I was a younger man.

Instead of this, some pilots don't just fly right into the furball. Instead they climb up higher (say, double the furball's average alt, such as 8k, but sometimes much higher), and orbit above and around the furball. They look for targets of opportunity within the furball, dive down, try for a killshot, and then zoom back up. Their targets are usually totally unaware of the Picker's location and speed, and are relatively easy pickings. The Picker is moving so fast that they're basically untouchable by anyone in the furball.

This is a Cherry Picker.

The score-hound is a Picker that does this and only this, and departs the scene when they no longer have the E to climb high enough to make another pass -- instead of Zooming back up they extend away to home base. Not my cup of tea personally, but this is the Main Arena and there's a war to be won (sorry, Ack Ack - my interpretation of the MA Rulebook), so people do it. It is easy to see why this behavoir irriates the pure fullballer, since it doesn't require any of the furballers' skills to make a kill, and leaves the Picker essentially untouchable.

To me, a smart pilot does a little of both. They arrive at the furball high rather than co-alt, make a couple of Cherry Picking passes to thin out the herd a little bit (or clear a Squaddie's 6), and then starts turning and burning with everyone else to take out some more, and hopefully manages to break away when bingo fuel or Winchester.

And this is sometimes me too. I presume it is never SkyRock. I don't think anyone has anything for apologize for if they fly this way.

Hmm, a tad too wordy for a definition. How about:

Cherry Picker: A pilot who flies above and around a furball instead of within it, eventually using high-speed passes to shoot potentially unaware turnfighting enemy targets, and then departs before any threat of counterattack or danger.

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
Cherry picking is O.K.!!
« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2007, 07:54:49 PM »
Originally posted by llama
That's just nonsense.

Suppose me and a squaddie (or any countryman, really) engage a co-alt pair of bogies. It turns into two 1v1 duels within a 4-ship furball. I kill my guy and then turn my attention to the bogey on my partner's 6. I saddle him up and kill him unawares.

That is NOT cherry picking as the term is thrown around. -Llama

Yes it is.  This is why I stated in other threads that cherry picking happens all the time, it's part of every furball.  People went on to point out that they were referring to people who cherry pick exclusively, never engaging anyone until their target is busy.

storch

Cherry picking is O.K.!!
« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2007, 08:08:22 PM »
Originally posted by SteveBailey
Yes it is.  This is why I stated in other threads that cherry picking happens all the time, it's part of every furball.  People went on to point out that they were referring to people who cherry pick exclusively, never engaging anyone until their target is busy.
yes the handful of timid souls who practice this method to the exclusion of all others

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Cherry picking is O.K.!!
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2007, 09:04:48 PM »
Originally posted by Nomak
Alrighty..... help me understand here.  By your logic its ok to learn ACM while flying the MA but not ok to learn ACM while flying the DA??  Because they should be learning ACM in the TA?

Hmmmm

Dave

Ok...let's see if this helps....

MA - Ok to learn, but, not intended for it. Intent...melee combat.
DA - Ok to learn, but, not intended for it. Intent...Duels (hence the name).
TA - Ok to learn..IS intended for it. Intent...to learn to play the game.

None of the arenas exclude learning how to play the game. But, only one is specifically designed and designated for that purpose. You can learn all the ACM you want in the MA/DA. But, you have to do it within the design of the arenas.

HT stated all of this (in different words and with poor spelling :)) when he made the changes to the DA. As said earlier, had certain people not been in there abusing the arena, the changes never would have been made.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Cherry picking is O.K.!!
« Reply #94 on: October 07, 2007, 06:02:53 PM »
Originally posted by NoBaddy
Ok...let's see if this helps....

MA - Ok to learn, but, not intended for it. Intent...melee combat.
DA - Ok to learn, but, not intended for it. Intent...Duels (hence the name).
TA - Ok to learn..IS intended for it. Intent...to learn to play the game.

None of the arenas exclude learning how to play the game. But, only one is specifically designed and designated for that purpose. You can learn all the ACM you want in the MA/DA. But, you have to do it within the design of the arenas.

HT stated all of this (in different words and with poor spelling :)) when he made the changes to the DA. As said earlier, had certain people not been in there abusing the arena, the changes never would have been made.

Yep, drove the users out of it and left the abusers :aok

Intend means nothing.  The intend of creating this game was to make money.  People that pay money were enjoying the DA.  6 years ago when the intend of making money had not been met 100% HT would have had a different attitude towards the paying customers asking for help.  We know he likes to eat.  Maybe he is getting full?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline MotleyCH

• Nickel Member
Cherry picking is O.K.!!
« Reply #95 on: October 07, 2007, 08:35:56 PM »
Originally posted by FireDrgn
All u contrarians reply with carefully worded posts. U are laughable at best. You all cherry pick u all know u cherry pick.

U all are talking krap about yourselves.

That was a sad show today..after your attempt to cherry pick (not saying I don't)  you had a chance to fight a 262 vs 262, you chose to run....had the whole sector all to ourselves. Chased ya 3 sectors to your own ack.:rofl

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
Cherry picking is O.K.!!
« Reply #96 on: October 07, 2007, 08:54:20 PM »
IF 'cherry picking weren't a goal, what else would we use 109 K4 for?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

storch

Cherry picking is O.K.!!
« Reply #97 on: October 07, 2007, 09:05:54 PM »
Originally posted by bj229r
IF 'cherry picking weren't a goal, what else would we use 109 K4 for?
turn fighting

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
Cherry picking is O.K.!!
« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2007, 09:09:45 PM »
AHHHHH...THATS what all them 20k K4's are doin, that question has vexed me for YEARS!

Offline hunter128

• Copper Member
Re: Re: Cherry picking is O.K.!!
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2007, 09:14:43 PM »
Originally posted by 2bighorn
Dogfighting is just like sex, the longer, the better.
Cherry picking is like pleasuring yourself.

Your pick...

can i quote that?
Darth2
71 'Eagle' Squadron RAF
"I strive for better flying....when I'm not flying into the ground"
"By the way, this entire thread is dumber than a sack of dead cats....." - Widewing

storch

Cherry picking is O.K.!!
« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2007, 09:32:48 PM »
AHHHHH...THATS what all them 20k K4's are doin, that question has vexed me for YEARS!
I made you an offer months ago which still stands :aok

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Cherry picking is O.K.!!
« Reply #101 on: October 07, 2007, 09:56:36 PM »
It could be that the K4s are practicing for DGS, as so many LEO P47s, P51s, and P38s have been. There are many better pickers than the K4.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
Cherry picking is O.K.!!
« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2007, 10:02:32 PM »
Originally posted by storch
I made you an offer months ago which still stands :aok

Yup ya did Storch, and I'd like to try out my new pedals on another jug...don't get actual fights against many of them:aok

Offline Cmustard

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2007, 01:29:37 AM »
In my personal opinion on this matter is cherry pick n is for score ho'rs that purpously milk run!:rofl
<Cmustard Was Here <With 20mm's>  

<Screwing With The Text Nazis Since Tour 80>

storch

Cherry picking is O.K.!!
« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2007, 06:49:01 AM »
Yup ya did Storch, and I'd like to try out my new pedals on another jug...don't get actual fights against many of them:aok
we can do that but I'm not very good in P47 from simple lack of familiarity.  never the less I'm game to try.