Author Topic: Yak-9U  (Read 394 times)

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
Yak-9U
« on: October 08, 2007, 03:00:21 PM »
I've been flying the yak-9u as of lately, and i must say i'm amazed. I'm a fairly good stick, been playing around 9 months now, my gunnery is above average but i'm not the best shot. Was wondering if there are any yak stick's out there, pref. rook sticks that are willing to take me under there wing :)?

Would like to know more about it, i've red soda's information on them. Any specific information i need to know other than that which is on soda's plane page?

tatics? defensive maneuvers? Anything is greatly appreciated  :aok

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Yak-9U
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 03:02:09 PM »
Do the exact opposite of what I do and you'll be fine :D

thndregg is a good yak pilot but not rook.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Yak-9U
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 03:11:40 PM »
Talk to SirNuke or Trikky.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Yak-9U
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 06:59:01 PM »
Originally posted by SpikesX
Talk to SirNuke or Trikky.

Yeah, both of those guys will teach you how to run like no one else can.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Yak-9U
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 11:57:36 PM »
I've been flying them a fair amount over the past few months and here are my impressions:

They are fast at alt but not as fast on the deck.  They are good for over 400 tgs at 17K but lose a lot of that on the deck (although they are still fast).

They tend to compress diving but it can be overcome using manual trim.  Just remember to trim back out once your level or climbing again.

Cannon balistics aren't that great (like most of the Russian planes) so closer convergence is better (I set mine at 400 which might still be a little long).  Ammo load is light but if you keep your bursts short an average pilot can land 3-4 kills per sortie.

Keep it fast and smooth.  It will turn very well but if you bleed off speed they take a long time to accelerate.  This is a true E fighter.  Get it and keep it.  The need for speed means you really have to work the angles against the better turning planes but at the same time you can run down almost anything out there.

Climb rates are excellent.  Use the vertical.

The prop rotates counter to most planes although the torque issue isn't as severe as in a Typh or a Temp.  Still, reversing your tendancies will improve handling.

They are a small target and rugged.  You can lose about half your parts and continue to fight.  

That's about all I've got for you.  Have fun.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
Yak-9U
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 04:22:00 AM »
Thanks Bald! I have my cannon convergence set to 400 as well and my cowling guns are 350. I'm not trigger happy so i can land a good 3-4 kills as well per sortie if i pick my shot's right.

I also keep it fast as much as i can and only commit to a fight if i have a back door to control the fight if it doesn't go my way, but thanks for the advice bald   :aok .

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer