Author Topic: Need help with gunning  (Read 501 times)

Offline Oogly50

• Nickel Member
Need help with gunning
« on: October 07, 2007, 12:02:54 PM »
Okay, so...  I SUCK at gunning.  There, I said it!  I've had 3 planes come straight towards me in an Ostwind, and yet I'll somehow manage to miss them.  When I'm in a bomber...  well, don't even get me started there.

My question is, what do you fella's do to improve your gunning... do you use a mouse?
There was once a saying that goes "If you put an infinite amount of monkeys in a room with an infinite amount of typewriters, eventually they will produce something worth reading."

The internet has proved this wrong.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Need help with gunning
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 12:08:53 PM »
I suck at ostis too, but I find that putting the mouse where the sight is, hitting H, and page up gives you a better view of where you're shooting.

As for bombers I've noticed that at 600 and out if you aim slightly above the enemy you'll fill him with led.

That's about allI got.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Need help with gunning
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 12:16:06 PM »
http://forums.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=157461

Check that out for Osti tips.

http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/

Use the slider on the left side of page to scroll down to "Gunnery Concepts"

Best advice...get together with a trainer in the TA. Practice offline with the drones. Be patient, it comes together in time.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Need help with gunning
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 03:45:29 PM »
If you take off from a TA arena with a lot of fighters hanging around normally one or two will come at you, to practice your gunning, if you ask. If not you can put up your own target to practice on. Type . target 600 if you want to practice from 600 out, or, type in any distance.

Gunning from Ostis or fixed gun positions will help you just give it time. And nothing beats spending time in bombers to learn the guns. Ive only been in the game a few months but Ive learned the gun positions in about 4 or 5 bombers so well I dont even have to think the change positions now.

There are an awful lot of tricks to be learned to be a better bomber gunner so be patient. You can be very effective gunning and flying the aircraft with your rudder pedals.

Anytime you want to practice in the TA with me then let me know and we can take turns taking fighters up against the other.

The real issue with bomber guns is everything changes when the angle of attack changes. The leads, the closing speeds...ect

Ive doubles the amount of fighters I shoot down with every month Im in the game. So with practice you will improve. The biggest thing that helped me improve, other then practice, was to fly only a few different bombers.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Need help with gunning
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 03:47:13 PM »
Another thing that helped me was filming each sortie and reviewing the film.  I am not uber in an ostie, but do a fair job.  

Film a sortie and log so you can view the film while it's fresh in your mind.  Watch it from the chase position of the plane you are targeting.  You will see where your lead went wrong.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Need help with gunning
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 10:22:21 AM »
I have found that manning Land ack guns have taught how to "walk" rounds into fast movers much better. You aren't really using your sights you are watching the 37 mm rounds going into your target and adjusting accordingly.

In a bomber you are doing the same thing, sometimes, only using tracers instead. There are certain angles of attack where you are better off using your tracers to range your target and then walking your rounds into it.

I had always had problems using the belly guns in bombers until recently. The angles these guns see are kinda strange and you have to use different kinds of leads. Since Ive been manning ack guns Ive gotten much better in the belly gun position using my tracers more then my sights.

And after you get good hitting with the guns then its time to concentrate on flying the airplane with rudders while manning your guns. And during those long bomber flights its a good time to practice jumping into the bombers gun positions, and different bombers, without thinking. Most of all the #2 bomber/left waist position and the #3/right waist position. Jumping to these waist positions quickly will often give you good looks at fighters when they are least expecting it. Using your rudders will allow you to roll the waist gun up or down.

Mind you I'm only a moderately decent gunner. But when I started I positively sucked so gains can be made with effort and practice.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Need help with gunning
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 10:48:04 AM »
The funny thing is, I can hit 500mph fighters buzzing by at 1.5k (hello SHawk ;)), but I almost fail every time when trying to shoot down a goon 600yds away or a formation Lancs slowly creeping through the sky 3k above me :confused:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Need help with gunning
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 11:53:05 AM »
You may want to talk to Tahgut about osties. He does an annoyingly good job :furious

As for bombers you will find that in the tail aim slightly above at 600 or more out and to the sides lead just ever so slightly. Experience is the best teacher though.

Manned acks, one of my favorites, I turn the the tracers off and lead them by an inch with no zoom. Seems to work okay plus with out the tracers they won't swoop in to kill you so quick. About half way down the first sight cirlce is 1.5k out if that helps. For the most part you shouldn't shoot more than 1.5k out because of lag unless they are coming straight at you. Of course you could get lucky and hit a jet at 3k:lol

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: Need help with gunning
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 12:44:01 PM »
Originally posted by Oogly50

My question is, what do you fella's do to improve your gunning... do you use a mouse?

If you're using a mouse, go buy a stick. Any stick is better than a mouse.

Next, log into the TA. Find a willing player or a trainer. Then, utilize the Lead Computing Gun Sight to get a feel for leading a target. This tool is unique to the TA. You turn it on and off via Ctrl-Tab. You then Tab through the aircraft (each will be highlighted) until you have selected the target aircraft. You will see a green crosshair. Put your sight on the green crosshair and shoot. It's that simple. Doing this will give a good reference for how much to lead an enemy aircraft.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: Need help with gunning
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 01:35:17 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
If you're using a mouse, go buy a stick. Any stick is better than a mouse.

Next, log into the TA. Find a willing player or a trainer. Then, utilize the Lead Computing Gun Sight to get a feel for leading a target. This tool is unique to the TA. You turn it on and off via Ctrl-Tab. You then Tab through the aircraft (each will be highlighted) until you have selected the target aircraft. You will see a green crosshair. Put your sight on the green crosshair and shoot. It's that simple. Doing this will give a good reference for how much to lead an enemy aircraft.

My regards,

Widewing

Wow, I didn't know we had this feature. I thought all we had was the target feature.