Author Topic: What plane should I learn next?  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Re: What plane should I learn next?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2007, 04:22:17 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
Actually, whatever you could do in the P-38 in AW, you can do it with the P-38s in AH and a lot more.  In the hands of an experienced player, the P-38 is by far one of the more deadly planes in the game.

ack-ack

Yeah...might want to talk to Guppy...he can teach ya how to wreck one in 15 seconds...:D
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Luigi30

• Zinc Member
What plane should I learn next?
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2007, 04:38:46 PM »
I still have my original Air Warrior disc. The P-38 was my favorite plane, and it's pretty good in AH too.

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2007, 09:02:49 PM »
I'm going to need to learn how to fly it once i get enough time to play again.
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2007, 10:15:49 PM »
Originally posted by WMLute
Yak-9U dominates 16-17k.  Only thing faster w/o wep @ that alt (prop plane) is a Tempest.  190D and 190K are a bit faster w/ wep.  (and of course the temp)

Of the 4 planes that are "close" or en par to it's speed @ that alt, it out maneuvers 'em handily.

Great ride.

Well, that's a load off of my mind. I was always told to stay under 10k, but I never actually looked at any whitepaper stats.

Now that I know, well... Hahaha. I'll be using it just a bit more often, then!

Offline Platano

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2007, 07:16:26 PM »
no one ever shows 109's any love  :(

i guess thats a good thing then, huh?
Army of Muppets

Fly Luftwaffe.

Offline Snubby

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2007, 08:02:58 PM »
I think the best thing you can do.. given the time is fly EVERY plane.. exclusivly for like.. 10 sorties to a week depending on how much stick time you devote to AH..

after that, no matter what you fly, youve got an edge.. because you have been on the other side, you know what the opposing ride can and cant do, what gave YOU problems in it and what YOU could do well in it, and act accordingly based on that info..  hell, learn em all.. 2 weeks ago i would have never guessed i would end up loving the yak 9u, but its by far my favorite ride...  before MAKING myself fly it.. i never gave it a second thought. :aok

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2007, 10:38:54 PM »
Originally posted by Snubby
I think the best thing you can do.. given the time is fly EVERY plane.. exclusivly for like.. 10 sorties to a week depending on how much stick time you devote to AH..

after that, no matter what you fly, youve got an edge.. because you have been on the other side, you know what the opposing ride can and cant do, what gave YOU problems in it and what YOU could do well in it, and act accordingly based on that info..  hell, learn em all

Which is to say:  Welcome to AvA.

- oldman

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2007, 11:11:52 PM »
Is there another reason for you suggesting this path?

Ghosth's opinion is very sound, because Spitfires are like a testbed for learning the feel of one game to the other. You'll know what this means, especially if you've been flying Flightsims for a long time.

With every new Flightsim game, I try the Spitfires first. When I feel how this Spitfire in this game handles differently from other Spitfires in other games, that kinda immediatelty gives me an idea on what the difference in the FM between the two games.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 12:01:06 AM »
Originally posted by WMLute
Yak-9U dominates 16-17k.  Only thing faster w/o wep @ that alt (prop plane) is a Tempest.  190D and 190K are a bit faster w/ wep.  (and of course the temp)

Of the 4 planes that are "close" or en par to it's speed @ that alt, it out maneuvers 'em handily.

Great ride.

Well, the P-51B is faster at 17k at MIL power and faster yet in WEP. The F4U-4 is also faster, as is the P-47N. It's largely a dead heat with the Spit14, but the Spit is much better in the vertical and accelerates much faster.

High speed turns are g limited. At low speeds (below 200 mph) the Yak is nothing to sweat, being unstable at the limit and will snap-spin at high AoA. Only between 200 mph and corner speed is the Yak a threat to out-maneuver another fighter.

When compared to the F4U-4, it's almost helpless. This F4U out-performs the Yak in every parameter.

At 17k, the Yak accelerates in a leisurely fashion, and the climb rate isn't much to write home about. At that altitude, the P-51B accelerates faster, climbs faster and can run down the Yak in a chase.

Comparing the Yak's speed to the 109K at 16-17k tells you little. The 109K accelerates and climbs much faster. Getting to max speed takes almost twice as long for the Yak as it does for the 109K. While the Yak has an impressive top speed, it takes forever to get there.

I agree that the Yak-9U is a very good fighter, but it's not exceptional. I'd take an F6F-5 over the Yak any day. Ditto for the F4U-1A/-1D. I'd take a P-38J/L over the Yak too. Same goes for the Spit8. Now the Yak is 20 mph  faster than the Spit8 at sea level and 17k (the Spit is its equal at 20k). However, the Spit8 accelerates so much faster that it can run down the Yak before it can build enough speed to escape, getting from 150 mph to 300 mph 15% quicker. The higher you go, the bigger the gap in acceleration.

I don't want to discourage people from flying the Yak-9U, but I want them to understand that a slow Yak is usually a dead Yak. Keep it fast and avoid getting into slow turn fights.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2007, 06:14:36 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
Well, the P-51B is faster at 17k at MIL power and faster yet in WEP. The F4U-4 is also faster, as is the P-47N. It's largely a dead heat with the Spit14, but the Spit is much better in the vertical and accelerates much faster.

High speed turns are g limited. At low speeds (below 200 mph) the Yak is nothing to sweat, being unstable at the limit and will snap-spin at high AoA. Only between 200 mph and corner speed is the Yak a threat to out-maneuver another fighter.

When compared to the F4U-4, it's almost helpless. This F4U out-performs the Yak in every parameter.

At 17k, the Yak accelerates in a leisurely fashion, and the climb rate isn't much to write home about. At that altitude, the P-51B accelerates faster, climbs faster and can run down the Yak in a chase.

Comparing the Yak's speed to the 109K at 16-17k tells you little. The 109K accelerates and climbs much faster. Getting to max speed takes almost twice as long for the Yak as it does for the 109K. While the Yak has an impressive top speed, it takes forever to get there.

I agree that the Yak-9U is a very good fighter, but it's not exceptional. I'd take an F6F-5 over the Yak any day. Ditto for the F4U-1A/-1D. I'd take a P-38J/L over the Yak too. Same goes for the Spit8. Now the Yak is 20 mph  faster than the Spit8 at sea level and 17k (the Spit is its equal at 20k). However, the Spit8 accelerates so much faster that it can run down the Yak before it can build enough speed to escape, getting from 150 mph to 300 mph 15% quicker. The higher you go, the bigger the gap in acceleration.

I don't want to discourage people from flying the Yak-9U, but I want them to understand that a slow Yak is usually a dead Yak. Keep it fast and avoid getting into slow turn fights.

My regards,

Widewing

I decided to try the Yak-9U up high after hearing that it was dominant up there, and to my surprise, it wasn't quite what I was told. As you said, its acceleration is quite poor at that altitude... As is its stability and turning rate.

I've found that my best altitude in the Yak-9U (and -9T) is about 4,500 - 8,500 feet. It does everything well in that range, it's fast, and it rolls nicely. I don't get shot down very often in the Yaks at that altitude range, unless of course four or more enemies decide to gang up on me...

...But three, I can handle to a reasonable degree. Not as well as I can in a 109 or a Spitfire Mk. IX, but well enough.