Author Topic: KOTH suggestions for next year ( and maybe rest of this year )  (Read 1374 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
KOTH suggestions for next year ( and maybe rest of this year )
« on: October 13, 2007, 11:53:26 PM »
*-it would be nice to bring back the logs of kills by gameid, in the KOTH like before.....do away with the insta tower.

*-make players  auger in the unflyable plane, no chutes or you sit out 5 straight koth rounds.

*-the logs that use to be kept showed who fought their way toward a "round win" verses who flew passive and skirted or loitered around fights....

*- reviewing the logs would be a good gauge of who is actually playing by the rules that are set forth.......no reason someone who plays and wins a koth round or koth event for the month should be able to fly and win if they only kill 7 players in 8 or 9 or 12 or 15  or 18 total rounds for the event....

*- if an individual pushes the edge of the rules set forth, and are caught during a match, they should be instantly removed and locked out from that event for the remaining time of said event........no leeway or warnings should be granted.....

*- KOTH is not for 3 week beginners who don't know the rules, refuse to follow the rules, insist on agitating the CM of the event.....

*-KOTH fighting is not about making passes at some one from 3k alt advantage and then zooming back up after only getting with in 1k of the opponent and extending 25 seconds then repeating add infinium , then letting 2 others jump the guy , so the high alt passive player can continue to make passive half arsed attacks  at the 3 who are actually fighting with agression......

*-KOTH flyers new and old should be there to accept all engagements, and fly for the fight, not for the GLORY of being called "The Winner".....if you 1/2 arsed your way thru the tournament rounds then you are only fooling yourself

their are  many good flyers in the KOTHs.......then their are starting to become just as many MA lolly gaggers who need to be watched for how they are skirting.......

*-as has been asked for and said over & over & over. every KOTH participant should be watching in CM eye mode and helping the CM view all the battles going on. If you see something not right, quietly send a PM to the KOTH CM and acknowledge to them to keep an eye on anyone not playing with a true approach of game play of KOTH participating ethics.......

*-  and all KOTH participants should petition HTC to provide the KOTH CM's with the tools they need to make it where you can not see anything except a plane ID icon, and no names or names on local range during the fight......the local range should only show the plane type -----nothing more.....

me personally did not fly any KOTHs last month, and after the very 1st flight tonight, I hesitated and seriously thought of why do I even bother flying these things when 1/2 or more of the participants  push the envelope of skirting the rules as far as they can with out  getting called on it.......

the sense of actual mxing it up and  fighting for the win has been replaced with extending for 29.9 seconds, faking flying toward a fight yet taking forever to get there by slowing down forward momentum,  or playing with your food by not being agressive until you see only 2 or 3 dots on radar left, then coming on on last 2 or 3 right about time the last guy besides the skirter has just finished off number 3 guy and is lower and slower........

just some things for the KOTH CM's to think about  over the next few months before Next Year starts.....

if any of you have noticed alot of GOOD hard fighting players hardly ever show up anymore due to most of the facts hat have been posted in my above rants.....

BigMax, Gremlin, Jish, FX, Dace, Nomak, Redd, Octavious, to name just a few and BluKitty , MsneTMP,  some of th widowmakers and other flyers/participants.............and look at what has replaced them........

just some things to think about........
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 01:30:40 AM »
Just my .02 on this TC.  I like a lot of what you say in here, but one main reason I don't fly in the KOTH's anymore is because I would get a good fight going on and then get picked or straight out some guy just ho's you on the first pass.  Yes I know ho-ing and using your SA is needed in real life.  But All some people need to do is float around and wait for someone to engage and then pick them.  Or right when you get into the fight on the first or second pass you get ho-ed.  Just got old to me and I respect the effort put into doing them... but maybe toss that in as well.  Like I said, just my .02..... I leave now before the internet tough guys attack me... :noid
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 02:52:14 AM »
One thing we might consider doing is to use the larger, more spread out base (A3 is it?) and allow more time for climbout during SAT KOTH, and the Med. (A2 is it) base for Friday KOTH.

This would spread the players out and give people more time to finish their fights before getting jumped.

I had not considered this, but upon dwelling on how to "fix" KOTH, that just might be a possible solution.

Spread the action out = longer rounds = longer KOTH's BUT... it also would mean more 1 on 1 fights getting to finish before the next con show's up.

(HO's I have no fix for)
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Dace

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 10:07:27 AM »
Right on TC. It is getting pretty bad as of late.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 01:17:46 AM »
Originally posted by WMLute
One thing we might consider doing is to use the larger, more spread out base (A3 is it?) and allow more time for climbout during SAT KOTH, and the Med. (A2 is it) base for Friday KOTH.

This would spread the players out and give people more time to finish their fights before getting jumped.

I had not considered this, but upon dwelling on how to "fix" KOTH, that just might be a possible solution.

Spread the action out = longer rounds = longer KOTH's BUT... it also would mean more 1 on 1 fights getting to finish before the next con show's up.

Lute  Dogg fuzeman,
the use of the larger arena in tonights KOTH, as you had suggested, provided a great event tonight. It was very enjoyable and people actually fought more from my perspective  during rounds and also from viewing fights in CM eye mode from the Tower.

now if you can maybe  get some tools from HTC like ability to turn off gameid in friendly mode and only force the planeid when in flight...... and encourage newcomers to KOTH to get in and mix it up.....  and maybe bring back the kill stats and disable insta tower.......just insist on people bailing and not opening  chute or  to auger if they know they are finished ( so the kill stats can be correct and not out of whack )

really enjoyed KOTH tonight....

~S~
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 12:28:35 PM »
I would add to TC's post that if u are the last survivor,u get a +1 kill bonus added to your total kills.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline BluKitty

• Nickel Member
      • http://
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 05:39:51 PM »
Long ago when "KOTH" was first tried in AH it was based on best kill death ratio of the round winners, after 3 rounds-if memory serves.  

We could have a setup where only 10 rounds of KOTH are played.  If a player gets to 3 wins within 10 rounds they win KOTH normally.  After 10 rounds, if no one has gotten 3 wins, the winner could be the pilot with the best K/D of anyone who won a single round.   So a Wabbit would have an advantage of not having died as much, while still being hunted.  

Just a thought.  

But if you want to change behavior ... you change goals IMHO.

Also ... It may help if CM's or HTC could turn on global kill messages for KOTH-so everyone would see every kill, and how many opponents a given player had shot down that round.

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »
I think kill logs would be a great idea.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 10:34:59 PM »
Got another for TC's list

*KoTH is about heading to and engaging the closest con when "fight" is called.  Not heading away from the closest con to fight the person you want to go after when "fight" is called.

fuzeman asked for feedback in another thread.  That is the main source of my disinterest.  I show up to have fun.  If I win, that's great, but I've won 40 KoTH rounds, so I really don't have a personal need to win.  However I do not find it fun to have the same 2 or 3 various aholes ignoring the closest con to come gang me everytime fight is called.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 11:31:17 PM »
Definately want feedback.

We just had a person on Friday ignore a few cons and passed them by to get 'to the closest' fight in his view.
Unfortunately for him his view wasn't our view and he was ejected.

Unless it's pointed out to us that's a tough one to notice, unless the person already has the attention of a CM.
You find or think a person is doing that, speak up openly, on ch2 or ch101, and well give him attention and see what they are doing.

Now picking and fighting a certain person, whether is a wabbit or not, sort of is not against the rules.
I know on a few occasions I've wingmanned this person or that and fought them repeatedly.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 11:59:13 PM »
Originally posted by fuzeman
Now picking and fighting a certain person, whether is a wabbit or not, sort of is not against the rules.
I know on a few occasions I've wingmanned this person or that and fought them repeatedly.
Yep, that's valid.  But if a player other than the one you are stalking happens to be closer when fight is called though, "I'll do what I planned on the entire time" is the wrong answer.  

If only 3 of 4 players are following the rules, and head to the closest fight, then what actually happens is 3 players converging on 1.  Because the 'stalkers' closest con is trying to head to them, while the 'stalker' is dragging them to whatever freaking fight they feel like engaging.

By the way, I am specifically talking about when initial fight is called.  Later in the round when things are spread out, it is part of KoTH to choose your vector carefully to influence where the merge takes place and such.  For instance, the old '3 left' scenerio where all three are spread out, and they try to split the difference so no one has the cherry picker advantage.  That is different from creating a dogpile at the onset by ignoring the closest fight.

Edited for spelling error
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 01:40:41 AM by Murdr »

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 08:51:48 PM »
I'll agree with you there. Again initially if 3 converge on 1 you would think they would get close enough to engage each other before all 3 engaged the one.
That's not only passing by a fight it's also winging, IMO.
Guess I better peel both eyes and keep them wide open for December.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Hornet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 03:22:44 PM »
I am in favor of BluKitty's model. Setting a limit of X rounds makes KOTH more schedule friendly and promotes the aggressive behavior that you want from the event. Couple this with a return of the kill logs and no instant tower and you will have a nice event.
Hornet