Author Topic: I need a new 'furball' ride  (Read 2205 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
I need a new 'furball' ride
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2007, 04:13:41 PM »
I landed 6 kills in 2 furball sorties in a 190A-8 last week.  Much fun.

As to the Hurri I I was on one of those land-locked maps a few camps ago.  The enemy were coming over a gently sloping mountain and diving into our base.  I set up camp about 3/4 of the way up the hill and the Spit XVI's in particular just couldn't resist coming after me.  I landed several Spit kills that day landing between 18 and 24 perks per sortie  :)
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Gulp

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2007, 04:24:10 PM »
KI84 is quite a bit tougher than a Zeke (late war - more armor).  It's also a great furballer because it dumps and gains speed quickly, turns nice, and climbs well.  Flaps are only good at real low speeds and only have 2 settings, but if it does get that slow, she can float around great right above stall.

It's also great at catching B&Z planes that try to extend once they realize they blew too much E.  It accelerates better than the fast heavy rides and you can often catch them before they get up to speed.

1/2 a tank handles most furball situations and best of all...it comes in a bunch of colors!

Aspen

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2007, 04:30:54 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
I landed 6 kills in 2 furball sorties in a 190A-8 last week.  Much fun.

no offence sir, but i can get 5 kills in a 190A8 flying in a furball. that does not mean i am actualy furballing.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2007, 04:34:21 PM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
no offence sir, but i can get 5 kills in a 190A8 flying in a furball. that does not mean i am actualy furballing.

Well, I actually WAS furballing.  Not that I'd do that very often.  Just lucky that night I guess.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2007, 04:42:28 PM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
real men furball in 109E

:furious

109E is absolutely a blast to fly....easily my favorite ride.

but if you really want to get someones attention you need to bring the sawzall to the party

:aok :aok :aok

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hien

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2007, 04:43:01 PM »
D3A1, I take no bombs and about 50-75% fuel.  It will get you to any furball.  It's a major challenge, I have yet to land more than 2 kills.  And that was only once.

You will outturn anything.  Anything.  I've outturned Zeros at full flaps, and made them look bad on the deck.  Mind you gunnery is important since 7.62mm guns just don't have much punch.   Use your rudder to help you roll, she's got big butterfly wings.  And just don't like to roll quick.  Kinda like the Typhoon from what I hear.

But if you find people, like I do, that tend to think 'lolol my spit/La/Yak/Zero/Insert Turn Fighter here/ can outturn that little Dive Bomber! Lolol!' then you can give them a biiiiiig suprise.  Mind you have to keep those pings on them to hurt them, I get Assits 9 out of 10 times.  But each and every one of my kills are so worth it.  So. Worth. It.  Because they'll just keep turning, and hope you fall out of the sky.  And you won't.

Stay low, low low, trees trying to reach out and tear off your gear low.  It adds to the 'I can outturn him!" idea, since if they stall, well, they auger.  D3As Don't stall hard, and barely stall below about 100mph (with flaps, It's hard to say how important those are, you can turn with just flaps.)  So by the time you fall out of the sky, they're on the ground.  

Don't underestimate its Dive Flaps either, they're not Fowlers, and they won't increase your turn rate by themselves, but they'll slow you down, and let'cha' cut corners like a madman.

Word of warning, you do catch fire like crazy (IJN, how dare!) and you tend to be a magnet for just about anything that feels to add something to its kills list (I am constantly picked over Co-alt LAs, and Spitfires.  So much fun. :rolleyes: )

But, from what I've seen, you're slightly tougher than a Zero.  Very slightly.  And much trickier to shoot down in one pass (I think it has to do with the factor that D3As are rare things in the Main Arena, the average person just doesn't have any experience against it.)  Keep your SA up (You should in every plane!  No telling when someone has you in his sights!) and kinda fly it like Zero, I suppose.  

Psyche people out.  Fly like a bomber, move like a bomber, then they come close, and you move like a madman on crack, and they can't turn with it.  If you ask me, the D3A is all about the MindF*** and the Laughs.

Also, some people learn real quick.  They just extend from you.  Which, in a furball, last I checked could be a bad idea sometimes.  Since they can be, and usually are, low and slow.  Making them easy pickin's for your friends.  

Main thing about me and the D3A is I have fun with just assists, anyone who tries to turn with me figures out they can't real fast, and walks away.  OR they get stubborn and keep turning.  And well, Option 2 ain't don't work very often. :lol  

JUST HAVE FUN!  AND IF YOU CAN'T LAUGH AT YOUR FLAMING WRECK OF AIRCRAFT THAN YOU'RE BEING TOO SERIOUS.  :D

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2007, 04:44:43 PM »
bang those wheels of on the hanger on the way out:aok

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2007, 04:51:39 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
Well, I actually WAS furballing.  Not that I'd do that very often.  Just lucky that night I guess.

i'm new to online flying compared to you BE, so i wouldnt care to presume that you did otherwise. thats why i stated 'no offence intended' and used myself as an example to describe my point rather than made the point on the premise that my point was applicable to another player.

wtg on the sortie and thanks for making me think about what a furball really is again. i dont really see many true furballs anymore, where there are 90% of the dar bar in 5 square miles all under 7k.

PS: 109 vs A20? hmmm i still with the 109 snap sorry :D
breakin wheels off a D3A tip: stay wheels down on the tarmac as long as you can. usualy just before you take off the wheels will groan while they are at high speed and in contact with the runway, just keep pushing forward and hold the wheels down untill they snap off.  works in the RV8 anyhow.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 04:54:02 PM by B@tfinkV »
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2007, 04:57:25 PM »
P47-D25:lol
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline TracerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2007, 05:15:57 PM »
Moving from a Spit16, you should check out the following in order of strongest to weakest:

Yak9U. Very solid all around plane.  Small ammo load is only drawback.
KI-84, it is not as weak as you might think.
Bf-109F-4 Turns very well with flaps, all guns in the nose, but small cannon load.
KI-61.  Great turner with two 20mm cannons in the nose.  Poor vertical performance.
Hurricane IIC.  Missing only speed and climb.  Very dangerous guns.
F6F.  Tough, turns better than almost all planes it can't out run. Poor vertical performance
Spit V.  Speed is only weakness.
FM2.  Like the F6F only better turning and worse guns.

All of the above have at least one weakness so you will avoid the Dweeb tag, and gain some valuable flying experience from overcomming a plane's limitations.

I do not recommend the following because they are planes that perform so well that your weaknesses as a pilot will continue to go unnoticed.  

Spit 8
Spit 9
N1K2
La-7
P-51 (If flown in B&Z mode)

I do not recommend flying the best planes all the time since you become dependant upon them to succeed and you miss out on the richness of the full plane set.

Others to consider:
F4U-1A
Bf-109G2
Bf-109G14
P-40
La-5
A6M5
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 05:26:08 PM by TracerX »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2007, 05:20:20 PM »
Ki-84 and N1K2-J are both noticably tougher than the Spitfire.  They have armor and self sealing tanks.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2007, 05:53:56 PM »
well lets see i have been furballing since i started 3 years ago.

best planes to furball in that are fun turn well pretty fast and will be fun with months of practice

109g14
109g2
109g2

these 109s are very fun to fly get to alt fast and have very good guns. now they will take time to learn and aim but they are very good furball planes when you learn how to fly them. you can really supirse people when you out turn them :) great fun plane for furballs

also i recomend the F4U series. any F4U is a great plane this plane will also take time to learn and even turns better then a 109 once you learn to fly it. a F4U is great to take out, it turns amazing, and can dive up to 530 MPH, once again this plane will take a lil time to learn. not as much as a 109 but its pretty hard with the views and stuff.

hope this helps, try these planes learn to fly them and you will have a good time with all aspects of the flying part of the game.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2007, 05:55:05 PM »
P-47 pwns in furballs
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2007, 06:58:24 PM »
Originally posted by TracerX
Moving from a Spit16, you should check out the following in order of strongest to weakest:

Yak9U. Very solid all around plane.  Small ammo load is only drawback.
KI-84, it is not as weak as you might think.
Bf-109F-4 Turns very well with flaps, all guns in the nose, but small cannon load.
KI-61.  Great turner with two 20mm cannons in the nose.  Poor vertical performance.
Hurricane IIC.  Missing only speed and climb.  Very dangerous guns.
F6F.  Tough, turns better than almost all planes it can't out run. Poor vertical performance
Spit V.  Speed is only weakness.
FM2.  Like the F6F only better turning and worse guns.

Some aspects here need clarification and/or elaboration.

Yak-9U: Reasonably fast, but only average acceleration. Good climb, but only average zoom climb at best. Turn rate above corner speed is G limited just like every other fighter. Between 200 mph and corner speed, it's rather agile. Below 200 mph it rapidly loses its luster, until down around 160 mph, where it's a wallowing sow. Marginal guns.

Ki-84: Excellent climb, good acceleration and a very fast rate of roll. Turning ability is respectable, but it needs the flaps out to excel in turns. The problem lies in having to get below 170 mph to begin getting flaps down. Good gun package, very good visibility. Fight in the vertical and trim manually to overcome the stiffening elevators at higher speeds.

Bf 109F-4: Excellent turn rate and radius with flaps. Adequate in vertical, but no great shakes. Will not roll to the right when slow with flaps out... Average acceleration. Marginal guns

Ki-61: This is one of those aircraft that suffered under the drag model update. I would not classify the Ki-61 as a "great turner". Not even close, especially when slow. Like the Yak, it's quite agile between corner speed and about 200 mph. However, it lacks the power to remain in that range when maneuvering. Thus, it scrubs of E and soon finds itself a hopeless, helpless wallowing hunk of scrap metal. To be successful, you need to have some altitude that you can trade for speed. You will need to have good E management skills. Terrific gun package.

Hurricane Mk.IIC: Very agile within its envelope. Its lack of speed can be a big liability against a pilot in a fast plane who refuses to turn with it. Be wary of the pilot who will not maneuver with you , but maintain an altitude and E advantage, his intent being to run you out of air speed and blast the Hurricane at his leisure. Its powerful guns can make the enemy pay for a mistake. Most Hurricanes get picked while turning with other fighters. So, you'll need good SA. Small magazines mean that you cannot spray ammo with abandon.  

F6F-5: Maneuverability on par with the F4Us. Better in the vertical than all F4Us except the mighty -4 model. Suffers from a roll instability at high AoA, so be quick on the rudder and smooth on the controls. While the F6F is not a stellar climber, it isn't bad either. What it does do exceptionally well is zoom climb (or E climb, if you prefer). Co-E, no fighter can pull away from it in a zoom climb. Vertical maneuvering in a dogfight is primarily a function of potential energy. The Hellcat's great mass means it offers high levels of potential energy. I've dueled 109K-4s with the F6F, and they could not gain any edge in vertical maneuvering. Of course, if you're not a good E manager, you may waste your E and that's always a bad thing. The F6F is rough and tough, with adequate guns and plenty of ammo. It is, however, not especially fast in level flight. It's about 15 to 20 mph too slow at 22,000 feet, and perhaps 3-5 mph slow at sea level (comparing it to Navy and TAIC test data). Despite its lack of raw speed, it retains E very well.

Spitfire Mk.V: Faster than the Hurricane, but still rather slow. Adequate climb, but bleeds E rapidly if power is reduced, even just a little. Excellent maneuverability. Small cannon magazines means that you'll be running low rather quickly. I prefer the Spitfire Mk.IX, even in a furball, and this despite not being as good in turning.

FM-2: Terribly slow, but climbs well enough. Excellent turn, until it bleeds off its E, where like many of the lower powered fighters, it loses a great deal of agility. It can turn small circles, but with flaps out, they are also very slow circles. Suffers the same risks as the Hurricane, but is a far more robust fighter, able to absorb more damage, in general.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2007, 07:10:49 PM »
I can play the angles and turn every fighter, except the A6M2 (tough), while in the Ki61.  

The highest I'll get in it is about 7k.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC