Author Topic: Newb Question...  (Read 432 times)

Offline flyby321

• Zinc Member
Newb Question...
« on: October 30, 2007, 06:37:33 PM »
Hello,
Some years ago when I played AH it seems as though there was a way to turn on cockpit instrument lights (back-lit gauges etc..) to make them easier to see ..yet now I see no mention of any instrument lighting in the control/command lists I've looked through ..and nothing from search.
Are there still instrument lights? ..If so how does one turn them on?
Thanks much for any Info :)

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Newb Question...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 06:46:55 PM »
For as long as I've played I haven't seen anything about this, so my guess is no.

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
Newb Question...
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 06:50:13 PM »
When we had night the cockpit instruments glowed nicely in the dark but as I recall it happened automatically. You didn't have any command to turn them on and off. They just came on when it was dark enough.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Newb Question...
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 06:51:44 PM »
No, but if you're having trouble reading the instruments, here is one thing you can do.  Hold down the 8 and 5 keys on the number pad.  Use the arrow and page up/down keys to move your head to a position where you can read them better.  Press F10 to save that head position.  Now everytime you initiate the LOOK FWD+DOWN view in that plane, your head will automatically moved to that saved view.  

Head positions are saved per plane model, so you would have to do this at least once in every plane you normally fly.

Offline flyby321

• Zinc Member
Newb Question...
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 07:15:31 PM »
Originally posted by Blooz
When we had night the cockpit instruments glowed nicely in the dark but as I recall it happened automatically. You didn't have any command to turn them on and off. They just came on when it was dark enough.
I guess thats what i remember then ..sure wish they had lights for normal as those gauges seem kinda dark when the eyes are no longer 20/20 :)

Originally posted by Murdr
No, but if you're having trouble reading the instruments, here is one thing you can do.  Hold down the 8 and 5 keys on the number pad.  Use the arrow and page up/down keys to move your head to a position where you can read them better.  Press F10 to save that head position.  Now everytime you initiate the LOOK FWD+DOWN view in that plane, your head will automatically moved to that saved view.  

Head positions are saved per plane model, so you would have to do this at least once in every plane you normally fly.
yea I know the head-postion saves F10 thing ..I always liked that about this game.  doesn't help to much with the dark gauges though

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Newb Question...
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 04:30:12 AM »
Sorry, just noticed my typo.  It's keypad 8+0 for look FWD+DOWN (instrument view).  I have a button set to this view on my HOTAS, since some of the dash is often missing from my normal forward view.

The cockpits that have been updated to AHII graphics standards often have gauges that appear smaller.  The look FWD+DOWN view helps make out the details when needed.

I would check your video settings and monitor settings.  I have no problem seeing the gauges from lack of illumination.  Even in offline mode, setting it to night, one indicator light on the dash (gear, combat trim, auto-pilot modes) should be enough to illuminate the gauges.

Offline flyby321

• Zinc Member
Newb Question...
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 09:00:50 AM »
^  will try ..thanks Murdr