Author Topic: I'd Like To Know How This Is Done  (Read 1812 times)

Offline rick93

• Zinc Member
I'd Like To Know How This Is Done
« on: October 20, 2007, 06:34:28 AM »
I touched on this briefly on 200 yesterday after an encounter with the 'said player' again.

A few days ago I had a main vh hanger camped from behind for obvious reasons, as the base was in the process of being taken. An M4 ups and 'said player' get's the obligatory treatment. There's a short delay before he ups again, but to my surprise this time around before even appearing has his turret already turned a good 160 degrees and pointing straight at me, pulls a shot, and boom I go.

Now the actual kill on me I couldn't give a hoot about, I got off a shot too, but went kaboom before knowing whether it landed, and there also may have been a difference in connection speed in his favour. But my, I must have a downright incredibly, disgracefully, 'slow boat from China' ADSL connection allowing the 'said player' time to turn a turret that distance, and be perfectly lined up before even appearing.

It also could be seen as interesting, when the 'said player' was asked to share his technique publically after yesterday's encounter he chose to hastily leave the arena. 'Could be seen', because of course this may just be coincidence.

I imagine there may be,"You should've filmed it" responses, and you're right maybe I should have, but I tend not to film unless I'm working on something specific and wish to review it, not trying to catch unexplained phenomona.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 06:52:51 AM by rick93 »

Offline Trukk

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 06:50:01 AM »
I've noticed on TeamSpeak that guys will say they're in but I can't see them yet.  It's a good second or two before they appear.  I imagine he spawned in and immediately started turning his turret to where you were and 1-2 seconds later he renders on your client already pointing at you.

Offline rick93

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 06:56:41 AM »
Yes I totally agree with you, there is a time delay, no question. But try as I might I can't turn an M4 turret that distance in a second or two.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 08:30:05 AM »
I think you are definitely dealing with lag/time delay of sort.  Being a primarily an Ostie driver, I always enjoy a "camper got his due" story.  LOL :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 08:32:28 AM »
Theres a delay on how they spawn.

Used to spawn in almost instantly, now that just "fade" into view. Think it had something to do with people crying about spawncamping
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 09:34:58 AM »
Its internet lag. It doesnt matter if you have the fastest connetion in the world there will still be some kind of lag when playing games like this.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 10:28:13 AM »
Originally posted by Meatwad
Theres a delay on how they spawn.

Used to spawn in almost instantly, now that just "fade" into view. Think it had something to do with people crying about spawncamping
Meatwad is correct. It has nothing to do with lag.

There is a built in delay before you see them. They are already spawned and able to turn their turret before you see them.

This was built in after many complaints about spawn campers.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 10:48:13 AM »
NHawk the delay when you spawn a tank is from lag and has been lag. The fading in and tanks spawning in a wider area at spawn pionts were to help stop spawn campers, but the delay has been happening for years. For someone who has played with dialup for almost half the time Iv played AH Iv been at my share of mass camps with people that have better connections then I do shooting and killing tanks before I even see them. Iv also been camped a few times, and when I spawn in a VH and know someone is in the indestructible. So I turn my turret where I know were the person is and have to wait for his tank to show up.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 10:58:00 AM »
You also have to understand how the game updates other players' positions for you on your computer.  The way I understand it, to save on the amount of data your PC is receiving at any point in time, you get updates on another players' position continuously if they are near, but it takes much longer if they are far away from your present position.

Think of when you first move to a field under heavy attack from across the board.  You do not instantly see all those players in the air.  It takes a few seconds before their positions are updated relative to yours.  That is, while you were at base 1, your PC was getting updates quickly from players nearby, but the players across the board at base 2 were only sending updates every few seconds.  When you move across the board to base 2, it takes a few seconds for all that positional data and refresh time to catch up to your new position.

Player A is at base 1 and Player B is vulching base 2.  Player A's PC sends player B's position, and it says "A is way over there at base 1, next positional update in 5 seconds" (making time up).  At that moment, Player A moves to base 2 and ups a plane.  Only after that 5 seconds does A send the update to B's PC, even though his position is now relatively near.  This time, though, it says "wow, you're close, sending continuous updates now."

So, to have a better chance to cause a significant delay between your spawn and when the camper sees you, you just need to go to the farthest base you can and sit for a few seconds.  Then, as quickly as you can, move to the previous base, up, and start turning your turret.  

From your point of view, the spawn camper may not even appear to be there for a brief moment, but keep your turret turning anyway.  Hopefully, by the time all the positional refreshes happen, you will have your turret turned around and be able to ping him before he perceives / kills you.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 12:15:21 PM »
There has always been a delay from the time someone spawns until you see them.  Always.  

Sometime's it's enough to get the turret around, sometimes not but it's always been enough time to spin the turret in a T-34 which has a very fast traverse rate and the M4 is faster than the Panzer (forget even trying in a Tiger).

You took the risk to sit behind the spawn hanger.  You're opponent did nothing wrong.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 12:26:08 PM »
Wait, was that supposed to be the part that was serious?
Hang on. Okay, say it again, and this time I promise I won't laugh....

WTG on whoever killed you while you were camping. <<>>
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Snubby

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 07:55:58 PM »

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2007, 08:26:48 PM »
If you film one of these occurences,  should the person that you did not see shoot you show up in the roster of the film?

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2007, 09:07:48 PM »
Originally posted by E25280
You also have to understand how the game updates other players' positions for you on your computer.  The way I understand it, to save on the amount of data your PC is receiving at any point in time, you get updates on another players' position continuously if they are near, but it takes much longer if they are far away from your present position.

Think of when you first move to a field under heavy attack from across the board.  You do not instantly see all those players in the air.  It takes a few seconds before their positions are updated relative to yours.  That is, while you were at base 1, your PC was getting updates quickly from players nearby, but the players across the board at base 2 were only sending updates every few seconds.  When you move across the board to base 2, it takes a few seconds for all that positional data and refresh time to catch up to your new position.

Player A is at base 1 and Player B is vulching base 2.  Player A's PC sends player B's position, and it says "A is way over there at base 1, next positional update in 5 seconds" (making time up).  At that moment, Player A moves to base 2 and ups a plane.  Only after that 5 seconds does A send the update to B's PC, even though his position is now relatively near.  This time, though, it says "wow, you're close, sending continuous updates now."

So, to have a better chance to cause a significant delay between your spawn and when the camper sees you, you just need to go to the farthest base you can and sit for a few seconds.  Then, as quickly as you can, move to the previous base, up, and start turning your turret.  

From your point of view, the spawn camper may not even appear to be there for a brief moment, but keep your turret turning anyway.  Hopefully, by the time all the positional refreshes happen, you will have your turret turned around and be able to ping him before he perceives / kills you.

^ ^ ^ ^ very well explained.

I use T34's. Spawn in, turn turrret and fire.  If I richoshay I tower out.  You can do that maybe 2 or 3 times but I find moving to another base and back regains the delay.......now I know why.

Offline sethipus

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2007, 10:51:33 PM »
I'm convinced that it's certainly a lag thing, but it's still strange sometimes.  Last night I had a T-34 inside of the fighter spawn hanger at a base we were attacking.  7 or 8 planes faded into view and I just popped them with an HE round and they were dead.  But a couple of times by the time the guy faded in not only was his engine already on, but he was in fact rolling forward quickly enough that I struggled to track his movement and missed the cannon shot, and even with my coax gun didn't kill the guy before he got off the ground.

Both times whoever did that was in a spitfire.  We all know when you appear on the ground it takes several seconds for your engine to fire up before you can roll out.  This means at least several whole seconds had elapsed before the guy faded in, because he was already rolling out when he faded into view.  Several seconds is way more than the combined ping time of me and anyone whose network connection isn't carried by pigeon.

Bottom line is I don't know how that is explained.  I'm not saying someone's hacking, but I am curious how the guy could be there already for several whole seconds before I get to see him.  If it's the built-in "anti-spawn camper" thing then OK, but can we confirm that?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 10:54:11 PM by sethipus »