Author Topic: Question About Distance  (Read 946 times)

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Question About Distance
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 06:46:03 PM »
As a Rule of Thumb, I have found that the further I move my puter and myself from the wifey in the kitchen the better I have at avoiding "WifeAck".

Also I have locked one of the upstairs bedroom doors and placed a sign that reads "KNOCK BEFORE ENTERING!"

*I am actually in a different upstairs bedroom.*

:D

Mac

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Question About Distance
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 07:04:34 PM »
Originally posted by Latrobe
I'm 99.9% sure it's measured in yards.

And the World awaits for another Mars Lander to plummet to the surface of the Red Planet....

:cool:

Mac

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Question About Distance
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2007, 08:45:12 PM »

Offline stickpig

• Nickel Member
Question About Distance
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2007, 09:14:03 PM »
Kilometers is abbreviated  km......not k

i.e.  1Kilometer would be 1Km  not 1K
Theyll only give you one chance, Better get it right first time. And the game youre playing
If you lose you gotta pay, If you make just one wrong move Youll get blown away
Expect no mercy  <Nazareth>

"Stay in the manned ack... When your in a plane you are a danger to the ground"  <Norad>

Offline tailblues

• Zinc Member
Question About Distance
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2007, 10:15:10 PM »
It is clear enough (because of above post), but I would like to add one thing. There is NO metric units ever in AcesHigh. And HiTech made it clear that the game would never have metric system.  so, anything you see in the game would be something of a Imperial Units... weight, speed, height, distance, etc.

One funny thing on Imperial System is (or rather one neat thing in metric system is) that all those values have no connection/relation ever. Weight has no relation with distnace, speeds and distances are using different units .. In metric system, if you have 1m x 1m volume of pure water, it would be 1000kg. The only measure of distance and speed is based on meters... etc.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Question About Distance
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2007, 10:56:03 PM »
Originally posted by Murdr
I can't quite place it, but that tip just seems worded wrong, and possibly may confuse total n00bs to flight sims and AH....

I don't know exactly how to phrase what I'd say, that really is a tricky one, but I'd possibly recommend removing the part about a plane's distance. it just seems it may confuse some as it did even in this thread. the reason is explaining the meaning of 2K icon range above means 6000 feet is more an SA issue, not a simple game mechanics issue, where how the icon system works is strictly game mechanics.

<> to you trainer guys I know you have a tireless, sometimes thankless, and difficult job and I don't mean to be harsh about what you have come up with. I just want to give an outsiders perspective.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Question About Distance
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2007, 11:21:04 PM »
There is a hard cap on the number of text characters that can be displayed.  As it is, what I suggested*, and what is in the tip screenshot is slightly worded different to make it display correctly.  All in all, it conveys exactly what was intended, and answers any confusion raised so far in this thread.  Not bad for only 115 characters I think.

*Icon and gun data distance is displayed in yards. Altitude is in feet. A con displaying 2K over head is at around 6,000 feet above you.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Question About Distance
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2007, 11:32:13 PM »
Originally posted by xtyger
Was just up in LW having a discussion with one of the other players. He was telling a newbie that weapons convergence is measured in feet. I interjected and said convergence distance, as shown in the hangar, is measured in meters.

Who is right?

I note the Help section on this site doesn't mention meters or feet when discussing convergence.

yards
Only one other guy piped in saying it was in feet. I was amazed there weren't even a few more people willing to say it was one way or the other.
:aok

yards
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Question About Distance
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2007, 10:27:14 AM »
Originally posted by stickpig
Kilometers is abbreviated  km......not k

i.e.  1Kilometer would be 1Km  not 1K

Slang terms for kilometre include "klick" (sometimes spelled "click" or "klik") and "kay" (or "k").

But I guess you didn't know this or even bothered to research it.

Mac
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 10:31:55 AM by AWMac »

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Question About Distance
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2007, 10:37:11 AM »
If you want to be really confused a grid square is 25 miles across.

Oh my god, my heads going to explode! :confused:
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Question About Distance
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2007, 10:47:57 AM »
Originally posted by rednex21
Distances in AH are in meters (HINT: 1.0k, 3.5k, 6.0k...etc) therefore, convergence would be in meters as well.  I have had this arguement with several other players who can't seem to get it.

Banshee7

Yeah, otherwise it would be like this (HINT: 1.0Y, 3.5Y, 6.0Y .. . etc).  I have had this arguement with several other players who can't seem to get it.

I am SMRT, SMRT, SMRT :noid
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
Question About Distance
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2007, 01:27:48 PM »
But...but...but...

Manifold pressure in German planes is measured in METERS!

Offline stickpig

• Nickel Member
Question About Distance
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2007, 11:56:07 PM »
Originally posted by AWMac
Slang terms for kilometre include "klick" (sometimes spelled "click" or "klik") and "kay" (or "k").

But I guess you didn't know this or even bothered to research it.

Mac

Hey....I am Military,,, USA retired...  11CP  I Know what a klick is.... I've humped many of them.. have you? So STFU.....  Dont try to tell me what you just googled.... and BTW its Kilometer DA

also its abbreviated km......not k  So whats your point leg?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 12:03:02 AM by stickpig »
Theyll only give you one chance, Better get it right first time. And the game youre playing
If you lose you gotta pay, If you make just one wrong move Youll get blown away
Expect no mercy  <Nazareth>

"Stay in the manned ack... When your in a plane you are a danger to the ground"  <Norad>

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Question About Distance
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2007, 02:45:52 AM »
Originally posted by stickpig
Hey....I am Military,,, USA retired...  11CP  I Know what a klick is.... I've humped many of them.. have you? So STFU.....  Dont try to tell me what you just googled.... and BTW its Kilometer DA

also its abbreviated km......not k  So whats your point leg?

Pull my chain a lil more Cherry.  Bragg is my second home since '75 to '95. Love Cp McCall also.
Retired Army, first few years were sweet. ABN RCN.  Been to Panama '75..Nicaragua '76...Hondo in '77, then ROK into the DMZ as a tunnel rat *TNT*.. Hmmm 3 tours in Korea, learned to read, write and speak Hangul.
Did the Instructor bit while at Ft Gordon then off to the FRG 1/2 ACR for 4 years. Then to Ft Huachuaca and retirement.

It's the kids like you and the "Old Bull" joke that still stands true.

Just think before you call an old ABN trooper a Leg or STFU or DA.

I take it yer a whiner?

Mac

USArmy Ret.
SFC/E7

Drive On

BTW I don't know what Girl Scout Troop you were in but we all refered to 1000 meters as a Klick or a K.  Have you ever humped 10K's?  How far is it?
KID
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 03:21:34 AM by AWMac »