Author Topic: I'd Like To Know How This Is Done  (Read 1813 times)

Offline WaRLoCkL

• Nickel Member
      • http://elitebf2aces.net
I'd Like To Know How This Is Done
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2007, 11:26:39 PM »
It is Lag, I have upped missions befor and sat on runway waiting for others to spawn but to my dismay some of them spawn already in the air, hif he knew right where u were he could have turned his turret to u in time sometimes it just happens like that.

Offline rick93

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2007, 12:02:19 AM »
I'm not sure what a few of these posts were meant to do, ie the ones that say good on him for getting me, I'm sure I had already made it clear I don't give a hoot about that. Yes, good on him, he got me, and stopped me from taking out goodness knows how many of his team mates. Just as those that vulch a runway taking out upping planes, are doing so to keep a cap on that bases air power, usually during a capture.

I think it's a little naive, to think that there should be some kind of 'rules of war etiquette' regarding these situations. If I'm not mistaken the bottom line is to kill before being killed, and do so with the least amount of risk to yourself, using every advantage available at any given time.

Am I a habitual vh camper? Well no, I've found myself in this situation maybe 3 or 4 times in the past 3 months. Usually as most of you know, by the time ack is down and a gv can safely get into the base, the vh or vh's are usually down also.

My initial reason for bringing the subject up, was that on the times I have been in this situation many uppers have realised my position and tried to turn their turrets in my direction, all up to this point have only been slightly turned before appearing, in this case it seems an exceptional amount more got done in a similar amount of time.

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2007, 02:30:54 AM »
Originally posted by sethipus
Bottom line is I don't know how that is explained.
Then you didn't read my previous post.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 08:02:59 AM »
Originally posted by Larry
NHawk the delay when you spawn a tank is from lag and has been lag. The fading in and tanks spawning in a wider area at spawn pionts were to help stop spawn campers, but the delay has been happening for years. For someone who has played with dialup for almost half the time Iv played AH Iv been at my share of mass camps with people that have better connections then I do shooting and killing tanks before I even see them. Iv also been camped a few times, and when I spawn in a VH and know someone is in the indestructible. So I turn my turret where I know were the person is and have to wait for his tank to show up.

Well...

Originally posted by hitech on 11-06-2004 and spelling corrected
It is not due to net lag, nor is it a fixed amout of time. It is due to a method the server uses in promoting people from targets not of much interest to targets of interest.  

HiTech

I stand corrected. It's not a fixed amount of time.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2007, 09:16:51 AM »
Originally posted by hitech
It is not do to net lag, nor is a fixed amout of time, It is do to a method the server uses in promoting people from targets not of mutch interest to targets of intrest.  

HiTech

Originally posted by Elfie
Can you expand on that HiTech, not sure I am understanding what you are saying.

Yes, can this be explained?

Offline louman

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2007, 10:51:58 AM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 01:06:23 PM by hitech »

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
Off Topic:Camping and Vulching
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2007, 12:21:15 PM »
Rich wrote, "Am I a habitual vh camper? Well no, I've found myself in this situation maybe 3 or 4 times in the past 3 months. Usually as most of you know, by the time ack is down and a gv can safely get into the base, the vh or vh's are usually down also.".

I don't see anything wrong with camping hangars when you're trying to take a field. If you're just doing it to rack up kills, on a field you've no intention of capturing, I'd consider that tacky and it can really be annoying being on the receiving end of that. But I wouldn't say it's totally unacceptable game play.

Just like "vulching": Most use the term derisively, but how else how you going to capture a field if you just keep letting enemy planes take off? It's totally fair play. Then again, in the way vulching is supposed to be defined: hanging over a field to cherry pick enemy on the runway, it's tacky but not completely unacceptable in my mind. Especially since it's hard to do that and get away with it nowadays if the ack is up.

I was on the receiving end of what seemed to be a tacky bunch of vulching once. Ack on the field was down and the cons just seemed content to shoot me up the minute I tried to lift off. This went on for quite some time. Seemed like maybe half an hour (my mistake for not going somewhere else to fly).

I was getting pissed because it seemed that's all they were doing: Vulching. When they finally took the field my temper cooled since I realized they actually were trying to take the field after all.

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2007, 01:24:08 PM »
Originally posted by Trukk
I've noticed on TeamSpeak that guys will say they're in but I can't see them yet.  It's a good second or two before they appear.  I imagine he spawned in and immediately started turning his turret to where you were and 1-2 seconds later he renders on your client already pointing at you.

Quit spawn camping

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2007, 03:15:14 PM »
Whether you think camping spawn hagers is right or wrong (I personally have no problem with it), the original post made it sound as though he was accusing another player of cheating, which the spawning player wasn't, and went as far as to try to call him out for it on 200 or PM multiple times, possibly to the point the guy logged off.

I think before people start making accusations and deriding other players they should just shut up and play enough to know how the game plays, what it's idiocincracies are, and what kinds of bugs exist.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Hmmph, quit spawn campin?
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2007, 04:42:46 PM »
Response to Raptor.

Ne-Vaaaah!:rofl :noid

(stocking up on graham crackers, marshmellows and hersheys)

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2007, 09:52:03 AM »
Originally posted by rick93
I'm not sure what a few of these posts were meant to do, ie the ones that say good on him for getting me, I'm sure I had already made it clear I don't give a hoot about that. Yes, good on him, he got me, and stopped me from taking out goodness knows how many of his team mates. Just as those that vulch a runway taking out upping planes, are doing so to keep a cap on that bases air power, usually during a capture.

I think it's a little naive, to think that there should be some kind of 'rules of war etiquette' regarding these situations. If I'm not mistaken the bottom line is to kill before being killed, and do so with the least amount of risk to yourself, using every advantage available at any given time.

Am I a habitual vh camper? Well no, I've found myself in this situation maybe 3 or 4 times in the past 3 months. Usually as most of you know, by the time ack is down and a gv can safely get into the base, the vh or vh's are usually down also.

My initial reason for bringing the subject up, was that on the times I have been in this situation many uppers have realised my position and tried to turn their turrets in my direction, all up to this point have only been slightly turned before appearing, in this case it seems an exceptional amount more got done in a similar amount of time.

Hence, sir, you should realize that you never stay in the same place for more than three shots.  It's called "shoot and scoot", and has been the preferred tank doctrine since late 1940. (still is today)   I don't know if it would have worked in this case, though, as you were camping.  Campers suck the life out of this game.... you got what you deserved.   You should try setting up ambushes just off the spawn... much more rewarding to watch them mill about trying to find you...as you pick em off when they go by.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2007, 12:12:38 PM »
Lots of advice and explaining on how to game the game in order to get easy kills.  Get some body 2K behind you and vox goes nuts on help requests.

Change your stile and you wont have to deal with any of this.  Yes, your $15 and do what you want.  Just don't whine about dieing spawn camping.  You play like that, you die like that.  Deal with it
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline KONG1

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2007, 12:57:14 PM »
Originally posted by rick93
If I'm not mistaken the bottom line is to kill before being killed, and do so with the least amount of risk to yourself, using every advantage available at any given time.
You are very mistaken.

The bottom line is to have fun. Surmounting a challenge is fun. This game allows each player to choose his ride and circumstances thereby adjusting the "difficulty settings" to his desired level. The low self esteem player will always adjust the difficulty settings to the point where he "wins" a lot. He will say "to me this is fun", sadly trying to fill a cup with a hole in the bottom.

To quote a corny movie, this is "a game that can't be won only played."

My best suggestion for those that would agree with rick is to buy the latest box sim, find the cheat codes for unlimited ammo and god-mode, then win-win-win wooty-woot-woot.
“It’s good to be King” - Mel Brooks

Offline sethipus

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2007, 01:51:25 PM »
Thanks LTARget for explaining it.  You were right, I hadn't read through your previous reply before posting mine.  So now I know how that guy in the Spit was able to "fade in" for me already on the move.  Interesting.  It almost comes across as a bit of an exploit, actually.  But I'll remember that next time I'm being spawn camped.

And for those condemning the OP for camping a spawn on a base, I say ROFL.  If I'm with a group of people trying to take your base, and I'm able to get the ack guns dead and get my tank right up to your fighter spawn, or your tank spawn, or whatever, and kill people who try to get up out of the hanger, then hell yeah I'll do it.  We're on your base, shooting your peeps.  Seriously, we're trying to take your base, and you're trying to stop us, and I'm trying to stop you stopping us.

It's no different than being vulched, and vulching is absolutely the right thing when you're trying to take a base.  You get the ack down, kill the VH, get a CAP over the base, wreck the town, and take it.  What, you expect that while taking a base we'll all be gentlemanly and challenge each upper to a DA-like 1:1 duel?  Gimme a break.

And what do the uppers inevitably do when they get a chance to get off the ground?  They up an LA-7 and fly straight over to the town to kill your defenseless goon or strafe the troops.  Right, like I'm supposed to not vulch the guy before he can kill our goon?  What planet are you on?  There's a place for good, gentlemanly 1:1 duels, and that place is not when your side is about to take a base.

Vulch light is ON.

Offline rick93

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2007, 03:51:12 AM »
Originally posted by KONG1
You are very mistaken.

The bottom line is to have fun. Surmounting a challenge is fun. This game allows each player to choose his ride and circumstances thereby adjusting the "difficulty settings" to his desired level. The low self esteem player will always adjust the difficulty settings to the point where he "wins" a lot. He will say "to me this is fun", sadly trying to fill a cup with a hole in the bottom.

To quote a corny movie, this is "a game that can't be won only played."

My best suggestion for those that would agree with rick is to buy the latest box sim, find the cheat codes for unlimited ammo and god-mode, then win-win-win wooty-woot-woot.

Oh yes Kong, I concur, the game is all about having fun. Maybe I should've made a more detailed analysis when I made this statement. I was referring to bottom line tactics in battle. e.g. when found in a non escape situation in a slower plane, perhaps a Ki84 vs a couple of LA's with alt up one's sleeve, as you would I imagine, first in the sights would be the higher of the two.

Given your obvious high self esteem, I'll look forward with anticipation to learn from your single handed base cap in a Jeep.

:aok